Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods the California kid?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Moneymaker, May 22, 2015.

1. Baron

Baron
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'd like to have a nickel every time I looked at this issue of Street Rodder over the past 38 years. Still in my " favorites pile" of mags I have saved aside over the years.
    The Cal ifornia Kid 1.jpg The Cal ifornia Kid 2.jpg

2. jetnow1

jetnow1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from CT
    1. A-D Truckers

I must be really old- I was in a bar the first time I saw it!

3. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

yep, sounds like you're lot older:p

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  4. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

It did have a 3/8 x 3/8 flathead when Randy Troxel & Pete bought it out of Glendora, Richard Loe ended up with that engine-he has it no longer.

Pete pulled the drivetrain from his Vintage Tin Cruiser T, so along with the quickie that eventually ended up under Jakes Coupe @ present,she stayed a Ford (Albeit Windsor) Powered Blair's Built 302.
    In the movie the engine does a remarkable transformation from a fin valved covered single carbed with a snorkle style aluminum air cleaner to a Man-a-Fre 4 Carb'd American Grafitti 283 (It lost 19 ci's in that shot) ;).

In 1982 the whole underpinnings of that car were redone this time using P&J Hot Rod Parts Hardware to showcase the products roadability. That was 33 yrs ago and still going strong. both the front axle and rear axle were out and re-engineered @ PC3g in the late 90's, I believe the flames were touched up
    as well but during the new millennium.

This car made some serious history, so much so that Temple City commissioned a Public Art Mosaic
    showcasing the artwork of Carole Choucair Oueijan in "What We Built". The artwork is visible to all that travel Rte#19 aka Rosemead Bl. in TC just about 1500' east of where Pete & Jakes was for 12yrs.
    The original "Winchells's Donut House" was about 2 blks east of where this image is @ present The building has been modified to the point of non recognition. Pete & Jakes remarkably looks the same as it did when Jason, Jerry and Brother-in-law packed it all up and took it to Grandview.

I can tell you being a 10 yr. old kid at the time seeing it cruise around TC-San Gabriel, Then seeing it on the ABC-TV Movie of the Week, It sure made an impression on me. I hope that this artwork will inspire some other kid who wants to achieve their dreams ;). I contacted the artist and requested permission to post these images here, Please look up her website by googling her, she's AMAZING!
    Enjoy,
    CK.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 6, 2021
  5. oldmankohout

oldmankohout

Just a few shots of when we had the honor to have ithe California Kid in our store a while back.... and what a blast it was to drive it up to Folsom Prison for a quick photo shoot!.....yes, Darold got to drive it up there.... thanks to the Slovers!

Attached Files:

6. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

Any more pictures of this iconic car with the Palamides / Halibrands?

[​IMG]

Cyclone Kevin likes this.
  7. oldmankohout

oldmankohout

prison_sign_700_detail.jpg

The California Kid up at Folsom Prison. We asked the CHP if they wanted to tag along and they said sure!......

Attached Files:

lothiandon1940 and volvobrynk like this.
  8. oldmankohout

oldmankohout

9. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

I worked for a Carroll in 86 in Santa Fe Springs, during his Pentastar days, Yes, very true, GM Turned him down as they had the Corvette and really didn't want any companion competition to take away from end user sales. That's when he paid a visit to Lido, for a newly introduced 1962 Fairlane 260 installed @ Dean's (Moon) also in Santa Fe Springs.....

Mags on the Kid: A set of Mag Hailibrands up front and a set of Romeo Palamides 4 Window American Racing Equipment Mags in the rear 1973-early 74, Steelie's from Movie debut thru sale to Cris Carrier in CT, then back to Pete in 1981, in 1982 Paris Fish Product Wheels=Machined by Eric Vaughn, 1st mounted on the quickie 's rear end hubs where it appeared in Street Rodder Magazine Fish Product ads out of La Canada then in 1997??? Richard LeJerne-Halibrand Engineering Wellington, KS offered up a set the Aluminum Halibrand Sprints that I believe it still alternates between them and a set of Red Solids with radials rings/caps.

Personally not a fan of the knock offs that are on the sprints that are dimpled, I think that I like it way better with the 5 on 5 1/2" Ford wheels in the Movie, the Original Mags and the way I last saw it prowling Arcadia the Fish Products Wheels.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2016
  10. Me too.

11. If anybody has Facebook, like Pete and Jake's Hot Rod Parts. Some good videos from today of the Kid, the Super Bell Coupe, Jake's Coupe, and the 39 being driven to the Kansas City Automotive Museum. Doesn't look like I can post a link to just the videos.

12. bigm

bigm
    from Orange, CA

The person who did the complete under carriage updating in 1982 was Marc Stephan. Still doing top-notch work in Orange, Ca.

Cyclone Kevin and PONTNAK123 like this.
  13. bigm

bigm
    from Orange, CA

So much mis-information out there.
    1st. – It was not a quicky paint job for the movie. Hell, the director for the movie didn't even know of The California Kid until he saw it on the cover of R&C. A finished car. The beautiful, quality black acrylic lacquer paint job was done by Dale Caufield at his Temple City body shop. Would a "quicky"paint job last 42 years. The car to this day retains the original paint and flames.
    2nd. – The side pipes were put on by the movie studio, remember this was 1974 and I guess a chopped/flamed '34 didn't scream "hot rod" enough.
    3rd. – Do you know were the flames on each side differ? Take a picture of each side and compare them. Then post the differences.
    4th. – The model on the R&C cover is Colleen Camp, hired by Gray Baskerville for the shoot. She later made some movies, not bad really.
    5th. – The car was first sold to Chris Carrier for $13,000, yes, with no upholstery. Lotta money for 1974.
    6th. – Read the article I wrote for Pete & Jakes Hot Rod Parts website, I make a big deal about the cars that influenced Pete & I regarding flame jobs. Never heard of or saw the "Wild Thing". Would like to see photos of that car.
    Another tid bit – A few years ago Jerry Slover and Fender Guitars commissioned me to paint / flame 6 Fender Stratocasters to match The California Kid. When done, they had Pete Chapouris, Martin Sheen and I autograph each one. One is hanging in Pete & Jakes in Peculiar, Missouri.
    Hope I cleared some mis-information and thanks K13 and Pontnak123 for watching my back.
    Manuel Reyes

14. David Gersic

David Gersic
    from DeKalb, IL

How much is the roof chopped on the Kid?

15. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

I agree with you, but I read the post like the treated the car like shit in the set, and repainted one side, on set because of a accident ,on set, and they miss-matched the sides.
    And the paint job is now fixed and matching side to side.

Because there was a lot of talk earlier on about that it lived a hard life on set. And in one pic we see mr. Sheen sit on the fender.

But I might not be an expert witness.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  16. You have misquoted me, not uncommon when someone gets their feelings hurt I suppose. Go back and re read what I said. I was just repeating what I read in an interview in R&C a few years back, it was an interview with Pete maybe you should take it up with him.

I don't need to look at photos of the car to know that the flames don't match I have known Slover about forever and have been as close to the car as Pete ever was when he was building it.

If you are mad at me personally then you should just come right out and say it. I am assuming that to be the case at this point as you decided to throw a disclaimer at a lot of things that I did not say but I was the only one who you decided to quote.

If I ever get a chance to get close to one of those guitars I will be sure and touch your signature.

17. And here we go again.....

18. alchemy

alchemy

Beaner and whomever cares, I bet the old quote about the flames "added for the movie" was just meant for the little flames behind the California Kid name.

And as far as anyone cares, I think this car is one of the ultimate hot rods ever built. It's done as much for the hobby as any other car out there. It's priceless.

jadegrenade 51 and volvobrynk like this.
  19. Alchemy,
    You are right it has done more for the Hobby than any of the iconic cars we can think of. You can ask anyone on the street if thay are familiar with the Doane Spencer roadster and they will look at you like a cow looking at a new gate, but mention the kid and everyone knows the California Kid.

As for the flames who knows, magazines edit things to death. he could have said that the name got lettered quick and by the time it hit print it was flames.

volvobrynk likes this.
  20. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

Manuel,
    Thanx for the info on Marc Stephan, That shows craftsmanship. Jake told me years ago that he wore out the Halibrand in his coupe,so when the "Kid" lost its quickie it ended up under Jakes 34.
    One day Jake came up my driveway and said, "Here's the tires of the CA Kid". Of course they were Winston Bias Ply.

I ran them on my 34, then at Morty's RCRR, Dave Enmark said "you've got guts driving on those cords", I blew a tire coming out of the San Berdo Mountains on that run, Robert/Suzanne William's nephew Aaron Kahan and the rest of the Choppers came to my rescue and got a picture of the tire change in the 2nd issue of the original HR deluxe. They were quicker than AAA. I had to leave the tires in Redlands @ the Winston store when I replaced them :(.

When Chris owned the Coupe, He put (I Think a 32 Coupe) seat in it. and when Boyd started making those buckets both Jake and Pete put those in their coupes (I believe they're still in them both). Billy Vinther I believe ended up with the seat that Chris put in the "Kid" in his 34.

I recently had read your article on the P&J website, I loved it=thought it was very informative.
    "Lighting The Fire" A Behind The Scenes Look At The Flame Painting of the Cailfornia Kid 41 years ago.

It was very kool seeing pals like Jules mentioned (Saw him weds @ The Twilight Cruise). It really is remarkable that the licks have held up for 42 yrs as I've been with that car through the hardest rain I've ever been in - me driving my 34 Cpe and Pete driving the "Kid", Jake in his 34 and Peggy & Tina in the Viper Coupe back in 1993 going to the 1st Americruise. There are pics in a shoe box I have that have us all under a gas station canopy waiting the storm out. In the article you stated that re-pinstriped them. Great job!!!!

All I can say is this. Licks made the "Kid" You did a fantastic job! was talking to Pete about the "Kid" on thursday as well. He had heard about the mosaic, he's looking forward to seeing it for himself
    He said "They did a good job,looks pretty cool,and makes me proud! Those were the days,who could've ever dreamt?"

You've created a Hot Rod for all of us to enjoy as a member of a "Very Talented Group Of Gentlemen" and I thank you for your part in it as It's been on my mind ever since I saw it cruising around.
    CK

Last edited: Mar 28, 2016
    Budget36, PONTNAK123 and Baron like this.
  21. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I heard the "boys" dropped off the car for the movie and were given a script (you know as cool piece of memorabilia). They were messing around reading through the script a few days later and finally got to part where the car went into the shop for suspension work. HOWEVER, that is not what the script said! To get more speed it read something on the order of they take a torch and cut off the fenders! If I understood correctly, Pete and Jakes rushed back to fix this situation before the flame job got very realistic!

volvobrynk likes this.
  22. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Must have got there just in time as he did have the torch lit!!

volvobrynk likes this.
  23. MAD 034

MAD 034
    from Washington

It's a shame the body is fiberglass.

24. WiredSpider

WiredSpider

WTF ?

jadegrenade 51 likes this.
  25. Tony

Tony

Yeah its a bitch trying to remove the rust from 'glass...
    image.jpg

Photo courtesy of Harms Way from '13. The "Kid" as purchased prior to becoming, the "Kid"

On a side note, the California Kid is probably my favorite 33/34 coupe out there. A simple, timeless hotrod.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2015
  26. Stu D Baker

Stu D Baker
    from Illinois

Just being able to make fiberglass rust is a bit iconic. ;)

Budget36 likes this.
  27. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Lol the kid being glass. This has got to be one of the most worthless threads I've seen in a while

28. rockfish

rockfish

Thanks for correcting a lot of misinformation about the car's history. Thanks even more for helping to create one of the most iconic hot rods in history. Without that flame job the car is just another great looking '33/'34 coupe. The flames just totally make the car.

PONTNAK123 likes this.
  29. 41woodie

41woodie

Great car, very iconic....but I tried to watch the movie again just now, man that was some bad acting