Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 1953 oldsmobile v/s 1950 Pontiac

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Blase, Jan 21, 2015.

1. Blase

Blase

Guys I have a kind of odd question here. I have a 2 door 1953 Oldsmobile 88 that I am working to put back on the road. When I bought the car it had no back seat and the front seat will be a TOTAL re-do.

I'm working on a pretty tight budget right now with the price of Oil where its at! So I was talking to a buddy of mine the other day who tells me he has a complete set of seats from a 2 door 1950 Pontiac that are in great shape.

Does anyone know if these would work in my car?

From what I've read I'm thinking the Pontiac seats are going to be too narrow. It was an A body if I read correctly and my Olds is a B body if I read correctly.

I plan to ride over there this weekend and do some measuring but I thought MAYBE the HAMB would be able to help me out.

2. belair

belair

Seriously doubt they will just bolt in. Of course they can be made to work. There is some interchange between Chevy and Pontiac, but Olds related more to Caddy if anyone. Also, you are talking about two different generations of manufacture.

3. Blase

Blase

Thanks. I'm not as worried about it just bolting in as much as I'm worried about the rear seat being to narrow or not fitting well on the sides.

So I guess my main question is about the width and shape.

4. belair

belair

Again, I do not know, but I think it would be less likely the rear would fit like you want than the front would. Even 2 door and 4 door rear seat bottoms are different. I bet the Olds is wider than the Pontiac, and the rear seat would leave a fair-sized gap at the sides. But I don't know the dimensions of either the cars or the seats. A Buick may be you best bet for a replacement, and they, like the Olds, are a little harder to come by.

5. john walker

john walker

Got a tape measure? I think I'd start there.

Chili Phil likes this.
  6. They will probably work, you may need to drill a hole or two.

by the way oil is as cheap as it has been in a very long time.

7. I made a chevy pick up truck seat fit in my 56 buick wagon.Nice and comfey.Bruce.

8. 50pontiacguy

50pontiacguy

If you didn't use the seats I would love to get my hands on them!!!

9. Blase

Blase

Sorry I am using them in my car. Just to add some tech they are 2"-3" too narrow. I'm going to make some side panels with arm rest to make up the difference in the back.

I LOVE your build though! Its on my watch list. Those 50 Pontiacs are cool! The guy I got the seats from has the whole car if you need something. PM me. It's REALLY REALLY rough though....like the grill is even rusted in to multiple pc's.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2015
  10. Squablow

Squablow

Sounds like a good solution. If that Pontiac has the stainless beltline trim on it yet, that'd be a good thing to grab, they fit the Chevs of the same year. If you don't have a use for it, I'll buy it, assuming the car is a 2 door sedan, it'll fit my girlfriend's Chevy.

11. Your girlfriend's Chevy ???? o_O Dude ... that's awesome !!!! Sorry to hijack the thread. This man ^^ is just damned commendable !