Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Anyone found a junkyard alternative electric wiper motor to fit a '51 Fleetline?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Sqeaky Hinge, Jun 2, 2015.

1. Sqeaky Hinge

Sqeaky Hinge

I guess I'm being a tight-ass, but $200.00 for a wiper motor is outrageous , would like to know if there's any "do-it-yourself" guys out there that have found any junkyard jewels that have been found to be made to work without alot of hassel , anyone ?

2. BOBCRMAN

BOBCRMAN
    from Holly

I use wiper motor from early/mid eighties Mazda B series pickup trucks.. A very compact multi speed motor that will adapt to many applications. My builds are mostly forties Fords, but I also have one in my 47 Dodge business coupe.

3. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I've found that a fairly small wiper motor/gearbox can be found on most anything that has a rear window wiper (SUVs, station wagons, etc.). Sometimes it takes a bit of engineering to get the linkage set up, and they are normally a single speed wiper, but do have a park position so for the most part they work OK.

4. d2_willys

d2_willys
    from Kansas

Six volt VW wiper motor.

5. squirrel

squirrel

6. 51 BIRD

51 BIRD

Many years ago,I had a '54 Chevy that I V-8'ed and converted to 12v. I found a motor on the shelf in a junkyard that was just marked "Stude". It was a bolt-in swap.

7. I was going to suggest Stude as a probable swap. They actually got used in a lot of applications 12V and 6V. I don't think that they even changed the motor when they went 12v as it used resistors for wiper speeds.

51 BIRD likes this.
  8. d2_willys

d2_willys
    from Kansas

Is your system 6 or 12 volt? Most of the posters bring up 12V motors.

9. Dyno Dave

Dyno Dave

15 years ago a buddy asked if I knew a '57 Chevy 12 volt wiper motor would work on my '54 Bel Air sedan, and he would sell me one for $60.00, down from $200.00+. It easily fit the '54 wiper linkage and has two wiper speeds as a plus in this rainy, rainy, did I say rainy area... Dyno Dave

10. D2 . . .
    The '53 Lowey ( sp?) had electric wipers and optional 3 speed wipers. What I have run into with '50s cars is if the wipers were cable or lever controlled.

11. Schwanke Engines

Schwanke Engines

Tri Five wiper motors will bolt in direct on 53 and 54 chevy's I know.

12. Nostrebor

Nostrebor

I used a modified version of the S10 build in that link up in post #3. I actually used a later model S10 Blazer rear hatch motor and a modified wiper arm for mine. It wires up to a simple headlight switch and give intermittent on step one and continuous on step two of the switch. It is not as easy to install as the earlier S10 motors.

13. Sqeaky Hinge

Sqeaky Hinge

BTW , i SHOULD'VE MENTIONED IT , BUT YES , MINE HAS BEEN CONVERTED TO 12V AND V-8, IF THE TRI-FIVE STUFF IS DIRECT BOLT IN TO 53-54 CHEVIES , IT SHOULD BOLT IN ON A '49-52 I'D THINK , BASICALLY THE SAME UNDER THE DASH SETUP , RIGHT?

\

14. Sqeaky Hinge

Sqeaky Hinge

Really now? , that would be cool , but Studes are about as hard to find as this other stuff...lol

15. squirrel

squirrel

The 55-57 chevy wiper motors are under the hood. But the trucks have them under the dash, with the same motor.

16. When I was building mine I saved a wiper motor from the rear hatch on an Isuzu Trooper (which itself had what looked to be a factory Chevy 2.8 V6 and 700R4 trans in it, so circa 1989 or so). The plan was to adapt that to the stock works.

Cost to me was free, but if one turned up in a you-pull-it I can't imagine they'd cost much there.

17. Sqeaky Hinge

Sqeaky Hinge

Yea , I have a couple of them here(I got a '57 wagon too...lol), So , theyre the same motor , just the truck is underdash? , that means if my Fleetline is underdash , then this will work?