Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features New Coker Bias look radials

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hudson48, Dec 25, 2013.

1. SR66

SR66

After waiting for my current tires to wear out I've decided to try the new American Classic Whitewall Bias Profile Radials from Coker.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

No issues with mounting and they balanced out with minimal weights.

[​IMG]

Now for the details.

Aesthetically the tires look great on the car. Exactly what I was going for. They give the car the stock "back in the day" bias ply tire appearance. The 750 R14 size is a little over and inch taller that the BF Goodrich 205/75 R14 radial I had been running. The stance is a little taller now and I like that too.

Buildwise the tires are solid and have a nice thick vintage tread. My only issue so far has been the white walls themselves. They are much easier stained than the BF Goodrich tires I had before. Those white walls were much more resistant to grime and cleaned up well with Simple Green cleaner. The American Classics take some heavy duty soaking and microfiber cloth scrubbing to get the white nice and clean.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Performance.

Its one thing for tires to look good but not so great if they don't ride well. The BF Goodrich tires I had were that way. Although they offered a nice white wall look even though they were kind of squatty, I never liked how they rode.

The difference with the American Classic tires is amazing. First impression driving down the street was smoothness of the ride. All the usual cracks and bumps in the neighborhood were nicely absorbed. In some areas of town where they are worse my BF's would rattle your teeth out.

On the highway it was the same smooth ride and nice straight tracking. I got up to 80 in some sections and felt no shimmy or oscillating vibrations in the steering wheel. The car has never driven that solid at those speeds before.

Handling seems more responsive and the return to center is quicker. Does it corner like a sports car with those skinnier treads? No but I don't drive it like that. But the taller height of the tire along with the smaller tread patch give the ride more comfort.

Conclusion

So far I am impressed the American Classic Bias Radials. They may not be for everyone but a worthy investment anyone wanting the Bias Ply look without the Bias Ply ride.

OL 55, turboroadster and belair like this.
  2. An extraordinary first post. Almost like a press release.

OL 55 and langy like this.
  3. flatblack13

flatblack13
    from Austin, TX

I've got a set of these Coker radials that have the bias ply look. Unlike some Cokers, they are nice and round. The only issue I have with them is when I inflate them to the maximum recommended tire pressure, they still look like they are a little low.

Ficco55Merc likes this.
  4. SR66

SR66

Its been hard finding some good firsthand information on these tires online. I wanted a set when they were first released but wanted to wait and see what the consensus was before I dumped some chunk of change on them. This thread has been the only good source I could find and figured I'd add my experience with them.

5. we just put a set of 7.10-15s on a customer's 58 chevy pickup. he love's 'em. i think we're gonna put a set of 6.70-15s on the '49 merc we're doing.

6. Dennis D

Dennis D

Buddy of mine got his 5.60x15's delivered yesterday and put them on his '32 today. He is lovin' the way it drives and rides now. D

pecker head likes this.
  7. missysdad1

missysdad1

8. Dennis D

Dennis D

I'm thinking that is about when he ordered his. Took about six months or so to get them. He called and pestered them regularly though......D

pprather likes this.
  9. Bam.inc

Bam.inc
    from KS

SR66: thanks for your review.
    I'd hope it's "unbiased" review of your experience. Afterall, most people can't wait to blast their negative reviews, very few take the time to post positive. With that said, I trust most Hamb ALLIANCE members honest reviews & opinions.
    Now...for my personal enjoyment: awaiting some 16",17",...18??" Reviews?
    Maybe 18" is pushing the limit, but anyone got some 16"s coming?

10. SR66

SR66

Yes its unbiased. I was just wanting to pass on my experience with these tires.

Bam.inc likes this.
  11. Bam.inc

Bam.inc
    from KS

Good to hear. I think there's a market of hot rodders that are optimistic these can look traditional, but get on the interstates @ 80mph?
    That's probably asking alot of a small market tire, but I hope it's really coming.

12. TudorJeff

TudorJeff

I received my blackwall 5.60R-15's yesterday from Coker. The 8.20R-15's are supposed to be here first or second week of July. I got the front's mounted and back on the car today. I can really tell a difference even though the rear is still wagging and bouncing around. I didn't push it too hard but the front was very smooth and calm at and above highway speeds. They also required very little weight to balance out (one of them didn't need any at all). I think the biggest difference was when I intentionally drove over the thick yellow and white lines. If' you are familiar with driving on bias ply tires, it feels like you are driving over a long 1x6 piece of fence wood when you hit one of those lines. So far I'm pretty impressed and can't wait to get the rear's delivered and mounted. Oh and right now I'm running them at 32 psi. I used to run my bias plies much lower and had experimented anywhere from 18 to 28 psi, mostly for better dampening. 20150602_184227.jpg 20150602_184243.jpg 20150602_184256.jpg

Last edited: Jun 3, 2015
  13. burger

burger

Dang. Those look good.

14. A Boner

A Boner

About how much are these new tires costing?

15. little over a grand for 4

16. Bam.inc

Bam.inc
    from KS

Any 16"s?
    Seems like 16"s would be highest volume seller?

17. 56longroof

56longroof

Ok. I have a dumb question. My 56 Ranch Wagon has 235/75/15 on it now. My question is what size bias look tire would look good on it? I'm not too happy with what's on it now. The car is lowered 2" and the current wheel/tire combo just doesn't add anything to the cars looks. I am planning on some steelies 15x5 with Olds Fiesta hubcaps. Just not sure what size tire would look good on the car.

18. I agree what about 16 inch sizes?

19. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

The man says he wants to use Olds Fiesta hubcaps. Where do you think he's gonna find 16" Olds Fiesta hubcaps?

20. 56longroof

56longroof

I already have the Fiestas so the 16" size isn't going to work.

21. plym_46

plym_46
    from central NY

WARNING, WARNING,WARNING!!! If you mount these tires with tubes, make sure you inspect the inside sidewalls of the tires. Coker or the manufacturer puts a mylar sticker with a number and bar code on it. These stickers will eventually chafe through the side of the inner tube causing flats. Lots of flats till you remove them. I speak from the experience of a friend who suffered through 8 flat tires and the danger and inconvenience there of before a tire tech put two and two together and found the offending stickers. Once removed the problem went away. Complaint letters to Coker were of no avail other than an offer to replace two inner tubes.

22. J'st Wandering

J'st Wandering

Just curious. It took eight flats before looking to see what is causing the holes in the tubes?

Neal

OL 55 likes this.
  23. how the heck could those little stickers cause the inner tubes to go flat?

24. norms30a

norms30a

My best guess is that the dis-similar materials touching and rubbing cause something like electrolysis similar to corrosion on joints on a pipe that are different metals. I have had it happen when the clear thin plastic on a tire patch is left on, years later I get a flat and the tube is crackled under the plastic.

25. Ronnyradio

Ronnyradio

After reading SR66's post I decided to go with the exact same tires - 750-14s replacing 205/75-14. Very early in my experience but huge difference in ride! Comparing these with the previous beefier 205/75/14 its like having power steering. Also like the way the car sits with the extra inch taller profile. My car is a little later than typically seen with the wider whitewalls, but always thought the 63 Comet was more 50's than 60's in styling. Anyways, at this point very happy with the choice - they were easy to balance as well.

Attached Files:

26. Kiwi 4d

Kiwi 4d
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

We had the same problem but ours was on day two, took the offending tyre off the rim and found the little stickers made of a tinfoil type product , cut the tube. Took off all 4 but stickers only in the rear 750x16 coker classic blackwall bias lookalikes.

27. prpmmp

prpmmp

Just put 4 on my coupe(Avatar)560-15 front,820-15 back.AAA+++ A different car,drives like a Cadillac!! $900.00 from Summit,free shipping,820s came in 2 days and the 560s took 3 weeks(quoted when I bought them) Pete

Last edited: Aug 27, 2015
  28. A Boner

A Boner

Is that for tires and wheels, or just the F'ing tires......hope they are round.

29. josh77

josh77

$900 for just the tires Dennis, and my 5.60-15 fronts are not round. I have a wicked shake at 60, and I've balanced them every which way, no change. I can see the up and down on the balancer, and on the road. I'm off to Big Bear today to see what they say about shaving them.....

30. prpmmp

prpmmp

Did you buy them from Summit?(free return shipping?) If so send them back and get new ones. Got my tires from Summit and the fronts took 3 weeks and are perfect,very little to balance them. Pete