Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration Question about lettering a '40 Ford

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by olcurmdgeon, May 29, 2015.

1. ....................That's not chrome, it's stainless and it's ribbed, so painting anything on there could be a real challenge. Just sayin':D

2. missysdad1

missysdad1

On the dash, perhaps with a heart to give the phrase some personal perspective. My striper buddies will hate me for this, but I'd give a pass on the pin striping, too. 'Way too overused. Clean is the new trend.

3. WOODEYE

WOODEYE

In my home town in the early 60ty's the names, quiet often Song titles were very popular with the local Car Guys. I am thinking it would have been on the quarter panel there under the quarter window back in the day. I recall that sometimes our local Sign painter would use a mixture of Ajax cleaner, cake coloring and water to paint titles that the customer did not want to be permanent. Today I suppose decals might fit the less permanent bill. It sounds like you stepped out and made a bold decision 50 years ago and it turned out wonderful. IMO the words will look good and make a statement wherever and however you go about it. The sentiment is what it is about in your case. Congratulation to you both on a Race well ran.

4. Those 50 years went by way too fast didn't they? I met my wife in 1966 but we didn't get married until 1993(long story).If you asked me to pinstripe your 40 I would likely refuse as I don't think there is any place to gracefully put striping. I would opt to letter the dashboard though albeit as inconspicuous as possible. Just my opinion.

5. onekoolkat1950

onekoolkat1950

John the car looks great and congrats on 50yrs! I remember fondly my dads 39 sedan when I was a kid with my moms name on the passenger door below the window and his on the drivers door.

olcurmdgeon likes this.
  6. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Yep, brain fart on it being stainless. Probably wouldn't look right there anyway.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  7. gonzo

gonzo

What a great picture and congratulations on 50 years! I might do it as others suggest, on the dash, or maybe the interior garnish mouldings. Maybe put one word on the drivers side and one on the passenger side. Admittedly a little more subtle than the vette. Not to confuse the point but here's a picture of some exterior striping that I think would work well on your car too.

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 31, 2015
  8. 40fordtudor

40fordtudor

I like the running boards and the short lakes plugs. Saw a lot of those treatments way back when.

9. olcurmdgeon

olcurmdgeon

Thanks everyone for the kind words and suggestions. I guess I was surprised at the response I got in terms of volume. The HAMB is the best! I am going to go with the majority and do the glove box door, in script, simple and tasteful. As far as striping goes, I am leaning to just doing the Drake air dam you see when you open the hood and carry the same striping up on the Cad/Olds style air cleaner.

10. Not to knock anyone's style but IMHO adding pinstripe on a 40 deluxe never enhances the look,there is enough stainless and chrome to accent the lines of a already beautiful car,Henry knocked this one out of the park from the factory. HRP

Last edited: Jun 1, 2015
  11. fortiesfords

fortiesfords
    from Kansas

What a great car you have, reminds me of my first car back in 51. I also vote for the dash in possibly Ford Script?

12. B.A.KING

B.A.KING

How about .........under the hood, on the air dam.,where you were going to pin stripe it?
    By the way, car has "it". looks very,very good.

13. philly the greek

philly the greek
    from so . cal.

IMG_5339.JPG IMG_5341.JPG IMG_5343.JPG IMG_4660.JPG IMG_4659.JPG Just a few pics to ponder .

14. GregCT.

GregCT.
    from CT.

I vote for the lower right trunk corner in 1 inch to 1 1/2 inch letters. You want people to see it! But not to be a billboard. All these paints come off pretty easy.

Tony Martino likes this.
  15. Don't do it. Buy her a puppy instead.

Last edited: May 31, 2015
  16. GregCT is right on placement.
    The words need to be together, like you and your wife.
    Be proud of the accomplishment.
    Don't worry about the next guy.
    Congradulations and God bless you both!

Model T1 likes this.
  17. Baron

Baron
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hi John. The 40 looks great ! I like it much better without the flames. And I think the lettering on the dash is the way to go. And maybe a little stripping on the rest of the dash just to tie it all together. Look forward to seeing you and the car in the near future.
    Baron

18. I think the dash (small and tasteful) is the place so when you and your honey are out parking in the moon light you can relive the good old days!:oops: Congrats and enjoy.:) The 40 looks great as is!:cool:

19. 911 steve

911 steve
    from nebraska

my black 40 tudor has been known as "black magic" ever since I bought it. it was dark gray then but knew I would re-paint it black. had prestige plates "blk magc" I have always liked a name on the decklid, goes way back

2013-06-19 22.53.13.jpg 10-16-12a.JPG

20. Steve-Cook

Steve-Cook
    from Garner, NC

Hidden in the pin stripe almost so you don't see it less is more