Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Storing my windshield, help!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by oldsroller, Jun 2, 2015.

1. oldsroller

oldsroller
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from PA

I have the windshield and back glass out of my '55 Ford Mainline. Any suggestions how to best store them? Probably going to be out for at least 6 months and not sure of the best way to store those curved glass the best. Thanks

2. mcmopar

mcmopar
    from Strum, wi

I screw some long rubber coated hooks in the wall, then set the windshield on then, curved side out. Screw 2 more hooks up top so it can't fall forward, and you are done.

3. harpo1313

harpo1313
    from wareham,ma

attic,closet,rafters.anywhere there is little traffic in the house.

volvobrynk likes this.
  4. Stand on edge in "hide away place".

5. Stu D Baker

Stu D Baker
    from Illinois

6. I thought my glass would be out for a few months,yeah right!

I wrapped the windshield & rear glass in old blankets and used duct tape to keep them wrapped tightly,I then put them up in the rafters of my old shop where the laid face down so the curvature faced the roof ,they stayed safe & sound for 9 years until they were re-installed. HRP

fourspeedwagon and volvobrynk like this.
  7. See if you can score an old windshield box from a glass shop. I was amazed at how well packaged mine was with just cardboard cutouts to hold it. I would like to see it stood up rather than laid down.

8. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Keep away from the wife..

9. Xtrom

Xtrom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Forman, ND

There's new windshields in my rafters that have been up there since grandpa put them there 35 years ago. Just make sure a cat doesn't get up there and walk on them so they fall down!

10. metalman

metalman

I would definitely store them sitting up. I've seen one crack that was laying flat, wings up on foam thanks to vibrations courtesy of some low flying Air Force jets!

11. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

I think you could store them in here, I'm sure they would be safe. :D
    11393261_10152801927247540_1072583889052548924_n.jpg

12. I had a Studebaker back glass stored for several years just wrapped in a bid heavy piece of card board. I did try and keep it away from heavy stuff.

13. I built a rack, to store the glass out of harms way, with PVC pipe and elbows. Glued together with red hot. All materials were bought from home depot. I have had to transport the windows in the rack when I moved once. Worked good. Use 90° elbows and T fittings. It's not pretty but serves its purpose and has held up for a few years now. I think at one point I put wooden dowels down inside the uprights to support the glass a little better.

14. Kiwi 4d

Kiwi 4d
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

They may survive on their side as others have said. But the glass shops store theirs upright all panel shops store theirs up right. or my vote is for upright .

15. Pipe insulation is good .... just slide the standing end of your windshield into the insulation seam. I have one like that sitting inside the bottom end of a mattress box. I hope its okay. The Texas rats may have eaten it since I last checked.

16. oldsroller

oldsroller
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from PA

Thanks alot for the help, sounds like stored upright and wrapped up, in the back corner of the loft in the shop. Thanks again.

17. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

This is the way glass shops store window glass. and it would be worth paying a few bucks for a box if neccessary.