Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical On the search for castle nuts

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by cdoh, Jun 1, 2015.

1. cdoh

cdoh
    from chicago

I'm posting this here bc is not so much as a wanted add as just a general help question.

I need to find 3/4-11 castle nuts for my 52 ford lower control arm to spindle. It's a really odd thread and wanted to know if someone out there knows of a source to either buy them or have them made.

2. NAPA auto parts my friend,they usually carry a wide selection of Dorman .HRP

3. squirrel

squirrel

4. The37Kid

The37Kid

Roy Nacewitz (if I spelt it correctly) makes just about every piece of hardware Henry made, check his website. Bob

5. I got 2 five gallon spackle buckets full of old hardware, c'mon over and dig through it.

6. GTS225

GTS225

I just checked McMaster-Carr, and they don't list a nut in that thread. They do list a tap in 3/4-11.5, touted for garden hose thread. Probably won't work.

Roger

7. 40Standard

40Standard
    from Indy

check with Carquest

8. Slopok

Slopok

Have you tried Fastenal?

9. cdoh

cdoh
    from chicago

I saw that today. I got excited when I saw the 11 but then I saw the half and got sad. I can't believe McMaster let me down.

10. cdoh

cdoh
    from chicago

I haven't. But I will now. I'm making a list of suggestions for you guys to call tomorrow

11. cdoh

cdoh
    from chicago

I'm trying to find your location but I'm using the Mobil app and it's not loading your page. Where are you at?

12. squirrel

squirrel

says NY on his profile

13. cdoh

cdoh
    from chicago

Damn it

Thanks for checking for me

14. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Sure it's not 3/4-10 or 5/8-11? No offense, just seems odd.

15. gatz

gatz

that IS an odd thread. Very close to 10 tpi which is very coarse for the application.
    I would think they would have used a fine thread such as a (common) 16 tpi for a nut that holds a spindle to a control arm....then gets cotter-pinned.
    The finer the thread, the easier it is to get a slot lined up with a hole.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  16. cdoh

cdoh
    from chicago

Well I measured the bolt to be 3/4 and the gauge that fit was 11. It is corse thread. The bolt is actually threaded the entire way. And there are thread in the control arm and in the spindle.

17. greybeard360

greybeard360

Fastenal shows 3/4-10 and 16 ..... no 11
    That would be a very odd specialized thread.

18. cdoh

cdoh
    from chicago

Right. I think it's a specific part that ford made back in the day. Why. Is beyond me

19. flatheadmurre

flatheadmurre

One way should be to put it in a lathe and cut the threads then off to heat treathment or just run as is.

20. young'n'poor

young'n'poor
    from Anoka. MN

I looked at Mac's auto parts, cg ford parts, and shoebox central and all they carry is 3/4-10 or 3/4-16. google gave me loads of those two sizes and newer(80's) trucks used 3/4-20. Sorry thats not much help, but maybe a quick call to kanter could find you one

21. Sorry about leading you on... I doubt I have anything like that around. But people locally stop by to dig through my stash now and then.

The 3/4-11 is an odd thread, the only listings I see are the 10 & 16 pitch threads. Since that is such a unique thread, a new nut would have to be single-pointed on an engine or CNC lathe. I looked at the C&G Ford site, no ball joints on a '52 Ford? These are king pins? I figured you could buy a ball joint and get the hardware with it.

cdoh likes this.
  22. drptop70ss

drptop70ss
    from NY

Last edited: Jun 2, 2015
    cdoh likes this.
  23. cdoh

cdoh
    from chicago

This is gonna be a real thorn in my side. Good old Henry had to pull the old switcherooon me with the thread pitch. Ha. My best bet might just be having one made. Im thinking that they might only do that for large orders though

24. cdoh

cdoh
    from chicago

I'll snap a few pictures tomorrow when I'm back with the car. It's a weird set up that I haven't seen before.

25. cdoh

cdoh
    from chicago

26. shivasdad

shivasdad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

@cdoh I just bought lower control arm outer shift kit from Early Ford Parts for a 1953 Ford. I have the old nut if you need it, or just get the whole kit with new nut, rubber biscuits, and bolt with grease fitting for $33.85. I had to get a whole new lower control arm and bought it from the place in Minnesota on the link above. They seem to have good stuff.

27. cdoh

cdoh
    from chicago

I'll check the site today. Is the nut is good condition still. Mine was really jacked up

28. shivasdad

shivasdad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

I'll contact you when I get to the shop. The nut came off easy enough, so it's probably okay. I too had the same futile search for the oddball thread. My customer's car had a messed up threaded area on the lower control arm. It simply wallowed out through the years. Before I took it apart, I thought I could weld a new bung in and replace the shaft. I didn't realize the control arms were threaded all the way through.

29. cdoh

cdoh
    from chicago

Exactly. When I got the nut off I thought the bolt was rusted in place until I found out it was thread. Strange design haha.

30. cdoh

cdoh
    from chicago

I noticed too that on the passenger side upper has a nut barley thread on. Now I know why it's like that. The previous owner must have run into the same problem