Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods hemi head on 318 Poly engine

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rockin rebel, Jun 1, 2015.

1. I have tried on the search, but to no avail. I have a 1966 Poly engine and have hear it can be done and it can not be done..any Mopar kings out there..I am not looking for hp.. I have a 1919 Dodge roadster, a poly engine, an A-833 trans and thought hemi heads would LOOK great..Hemis are crazy expensive around here,so unless you want to sell me a good runner, any size, for resonable, this is my thought for the day....let it fly !!

2. daliant

daliant

The poly 318 won't accept hemi heads, only the late 50's poly headed Dodge, DeSoto and Chrysler engines could run the hemi heads. The later poly engine is still a decent engine, not all that much high po parts out there for them but still an attention getter, most poeple probably won't know what kind of engine it is.

3. sunbeam

sunbeam

The 318 poly is different than the hemis different bore centers than the Chrysler Desoto or Dodge hemis. Only Chrysler and Dodge hemis were built both ways. Dodge hemi 4.1875 centers Desoto 4.3125 318 poly 4.460 Chrysler hemi 4.56. Unless bore center are the same swaping heads require a lot of work as in cutting and welding and not for street engines.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2015
  4. squirrel

squirrel

you have a "late" poly engine, the hemis were made with the same block as the "early" poly engine (although there were different early poly engines, as each division had it's own mill back in the early 50s).

5. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

The 318 was the only Polysphere that did not have a hemi "big brother". I have heard of aftermarket heads being made for this block but don't know who makes them or if they ever got them into production but they were supposed to be about $5000 a set.

6. 340HilbornDuster

340HilbornDuster
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Give the 318 heads a good port job & bigger valves...they'll flow ...almost like a Real Old Hemi...!
    I'm gonna haul mine over to Bobby's Porting Service one of these days...
    AND the scallop heads Look GREAT!

7. swifty

swifty

Gary Pavlovich has built one of these "lowly" 318's for a customer who I think is on here and it is a 369 cube with 3.79" stroker crank, roller rockers requiring specially fabricated valve covers and is making 507 HP@ 6000rpm and 459 ft lbs of torque at 4900rpm. Gary is the 318 Poly guru!

8. - this topic actually need to be put to bed...

There are two engines that are mopar engines commonly called Poly. if its is our of a pre 58 car, there is a chance.

If it has and valley pan and deep rib looking valve covers you have the early style poly.
    http://www.allpar.com/mopar/poly.html
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polyspheric
    1955-1958 engines.

You have
    A 318 engine OR A cousin of a 277, it cannot be made into a HEMI.

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chrysler_A_engine

A very good engine in its own right. Just build it and use it.

9. all sound advice..and now I know. thanks all for your help..I do like the looks of the poly and I had many when I was a youngster...they were almost new then, lol