Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Ford 9" with no crush? And big pinion seal?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by steveodeluxe, Jun 1, 2015.

1. Hey everyone.

I took my rear apart this weekend to replace my seal because it's leaking everywhere. It's a temporary fix before I can rebuild the whole thing. It's a 1960 f100

When I got it all apart, the seal I bought is totally different, and there is no crush sleeve. I checked my old manual and it mentions a flat washer behind the bearing.

The old seal measures 4 1/8 and it looks like macs carries it under thunderbird rear parts.

I can't seem to find out much about this rear but does anyone know if I can just replace it and go or is it missing something in there?

2. squirrel

squirrel

Maybe something is missing. Pictures help.

Some of the early ones used an oil slinger, I think...but it's been a while. this would go between the bearing and the yoke, to keep so much oil from getting to the seal.

And the large seal was common on the early rears.

3. The oil slinger is in there behind the bearing. The book I have mentions it as well. Thing is that the book I have has no diagram.

I'll try to get pics later.

4. I am not real expert on the early 9" Ford rear, so maybe you should take what I say with a grain of salt. The washer you speak of would be a thrust washer and I imagine that they came in different thicknesses. With a crush sleeve you set your bearing preload by crushing the sleeve. With a thrust washer you set your preload by using a different thickness of washer or shims and a washer.

Anyway my guess would be that if you don't change the bearings you would just use the same washer and be good to go.

5. sunbeam

sunbeam

I'm looking at a 1963 motors manual there is a crush sleeve between the tapered roller bearings and a slinger behind the oil seal.

6. squirrel

squirrel

The rear end being over 50 years old, who knows what happened when some one worked on it back on the farm....

btw there are now available "solid" bearing spacers, which have two machined collars and shims that go between them. This replaces the crush sleeve, and is usually used on high horsepower stuff.

7. oj

oj

When you say 'all apart' you mean you took the pinion out to replace the seal? To replace the seal I'd pull the yoke off and the old seal, slam a new seal in it and hammer the nut back on. You won't see the crush sleeve, its on the other side of the small bearing. You could see the oil slinger but thats about it.
    The only real technical part is to get the nut back on tight enough so you don't upset the pinion preload.
    If you really have taken it all apart you are going to have to go thru it as if you made a gear change, set preloads and backlash on a used set of gears.
    That'd be a good learning experience, but I hope you didn't 'take it all apart'.

8. Possibly it has a Daytona pinion? As far as I know they used stackable shims in place of a crush collar.

9. Thanks for your input, fellas. Oj, I didn't take it 'all' apart. I eventually will but I'll probably just wait until I have the cash/know how to do it all fresh, but it's as you said. I got the nut/pinion/seal off, and got frustrated when I realized that the seal I bought was wrong. I ordered the new one and I'm going to throw that in soon along with my freshly shimmed box.

Getting these part numbers all figured out is not much fun but I still like that I stayed with the older parts instead of swapping it all out for more modern things. It's also not fun that it just sits sad in the driveway waiting for parts in the mail.

I really do appreciate any info and am happy that you guys responded at all, especially since I provided no pictures. I hope to get some soon but it's been raining like mad here in south jersey.

10. squirrel

squirrel

Did you take out the outer bearing? If not, you won't see the crush sleeve until you do remove the bearing.

I always take out the pinion support (five bolts hold it in) to work on the pinion bearings, seal, and crush sleeve. Be sure to reinstall the shim that goes between the pinion support and the housing, that is what sets the pinion depth.

btw one nice thing about the 9" ford is that it's easy to use a press to start crushing the crush sleeve, since you can put the pinion, support, and yoke in the press. Although I've replaced the crush sleeves in mine with the shimmed solid spacer kits.

11. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

The only 9 " large pinion seal (from the factory) I can remember is 1958 passenger car, one year only.

12. squirrel

squirrel

57-58 only? National 6930

13. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

Yes, I believe you are correct.

..And like you had mentioned, who knows what has been done to the old truck in the past 55 years. That center section could very easily be out of another vehicle.