Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical The Painting at home in the driveway or garage thread

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Blue One, Sep 15, 2014.

1. My buddy and I painted the Caddyhauler in our garages using a turbine sprayer. It turned out good enough to win Best Of Show at the Detroit Autorama Extreme and a Street Rodder Magazine Top 100. Look for it in the 2nd issue of Hop Up out in a few months too.
    IMAG0270.jpg IMAG0312.jpg IMG_20141220_185841.jpg FB_IMG_1426386223217.jpg

D-Russ, AHotRod, PONTNAK123 and 8 others like this.
  2. Love it. What's the color , type of paint and manufacturer?

3. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

That is NICE, congratulations and great job! :cool:

4. I got tired of monkey f#%cking my "A" fenders, so I made this contraption. You can flip them over, and they won't touch the floor.;) Welding to bodywork to paint to install without touching them.
    image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

5. Nice, just don't get paint on the Big Wheels or Momma will be pissed!!!

6. Plumbid - That is simplistic genius right there. An idea I'm gonna put to use right away!

7. jack_pine

jack_pine
    from Motor City

I am painting the panels on this toolbox in my garage. White base, abalone metalflake, tons of clear. Using turbine HVLP

Attached Files:

8. ryan-o

ryan-o

Painted this pig over the weekend. Rain eliminated outside dust and painting in the morning helped keep bugs to a minimum. Used single stage Acrylic Urethane. Have always had good luck with that.

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1432818331.622389.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1432818385.756353.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1432818408.974629.jpg

9. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

plumbid: I just used a couple of engine stands for my rear fenders...................
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

plumbid, RockinRivi and Model T1 like this.
  10. Willing to share some of your tips and secrets? I plan on spraying my 34 in my garage with a turbine as well...

11. A bottle of nitrogen or CO2 is much safer, because they don't support the combustion. Any gas you would use for MIG welding will work.

12. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

And because of the cost associated with buying the bottle of gas it would be just as dumb as using a bottle of oxygen.
    Not to mention that while you are spraying you will be breathing in an excess amount of nitrogen or CO2 neither of which are great for you.
    Don't be stupid.
    They make air compressors and HVLP turbines for a reason.

da34guy, brad2v and cptn60 like this.
  13. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Lets see some more painting and prepping. I'll be at that stage soon and have a lot of learning to do. :D

14. Ulu

Ulu
    from CenCal

I'm actually painting in the garage, but what I'm painting is the inside of the garage. :rolleyes:

Nice and white too, painted with Olympic Ultra-White, over white Kilz primer, over white Sheet-Rock brand plaster. Yup. It's gonna be white. Bright too, so the place is lighted well enough to paint in since I installed (8) 120 watt ( 960 watts total) new down-lights to help my dimming eyeballs. They're 6" dia LEDs can-lights, recessed into the new white ceiling (did I mention it was white?) and them suckers are bright when you turn them all at once.

Anyhow, I'm mentioning all this because a bright, well-lit area, is the first step to a high-quality paint job. And clean! 17 sheets of drywall now cover my dingy, dark, filthy, spider infested rafters. They're plastered up nice & now (almost all) painted!

I've started filling & painting the walls too. Man, the place is getting clean! And it's gonna stay clean too, as I also have a side yard to do all the filthy scraping, sanding, welding, de-greasing, and such. The garage will be reserved for assembly work and final finishing.

I never would have done all that work on the old garage, except I'd decided to restore Edith (the P15 Plymouth.) Hopefully I'll feel it was all worth it when she's all done too.

RockinRivi and brad2v like this.
  15. brad2v

brad2v

The above is a great point. Visit any pro paint booth, note all the lighting. Also important during the prep stage.

loudbang likes this.
  16. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

Painting with too little light makes it paint by feel and that is a recipe for disaster. Being able to see the coverage as you paint is a must. You can use portable lighting if you don't have enough. in your garage.

17. Ulu

Ulu
    from CenCal

Because of lighting problems in the past, I have used a battery powered light on my head, like a bloody coal miner, in order to see what I was shooting. If you're in a poorly lit situation that can get you by. also I was using 500watt halogen work lights, which work OK, but I don't like halogens. too expensive, plus fragile, plus a rather harsh light.

I'm replacing all my halogen track lights in the house with LEDs too. They make a lot less heat BTW. I can hold my hand on a lit LED GUI10 all day but on a halogen GUI10 you'd fry with 30 secs.

18. luckythirteenagogo

luckythirteenagogo
    from Selma, NC

Plumbit, that is a great idea, I'm also digging the Endless Summer poster too!

plumbid likes this.
  19. pitman

pitman

Ulu, w/all the new drywall (white) your gonna miss the special effects, like the custom spider tracks! ;)

20. Ulu

Ulu
    from CenCal

Fresno has lots more spiders than New Hampster, but you guys own the market on Man' Eatin' Partridge. :D

pitman likes this.
  21. Powerwgn

Powerwgn
    from Solvang CA

I just laid ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1432995638.766660.jpg a sheet of plastic out in the dirt and shot it first thing in the morning before the bugs came out. I'm using one of those 3m disposable charcoal respirators. Tried building a temp booth inside the barn but found that the lighting just wasn't good enough for a novice like me. BTW- this was my third attempt to spray this cab!

pitman, wallyringo and Model T1 like this.
  22. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

For a novice, it looks pretty good from what I can see here! ;)

23. '48IHC

'48IHC

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1433049010.833165.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1433049087.784945.jpg

Have done quite a bit of garage paint/primer work. I use PPG envirobase waterborne base and PPG global 8152 clear. Spraying with SATA 3000 for base and SATA 4000 for clear.

24. PONTNAK123

PONTNAK123
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

25. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

How about some tips on prep and spraying with the turbine, anything that might help someone on a first effort. :)

26. blazedogs

blazedogs

The new water base car paint Would be safer, but is it perfected yet ?? Gene

27. Poor man's paint booth.. 399new.jpg

wallyringo likes this.
  28. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Looks like what I'll be doing, something similar :D

29. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Just browsing the results in this thread is proof that time, willpower and passion will get the job done just as nicely as mega buck production installations. Good work all.

30. '48IHC

'48IHC

Perfected isn't the term I would use since paint lines are constantly changing/improving even on the solvent side. However, waterborne base is better than solvent in my opinion. Better coverage, easy blending for repairs, safer and overall more user friendly. They even have activators for hardening just the basecoat for under hood applications. As far as clears go, they have not perfected a true "water base" clear. Envirobase makes a solvent clear called EC530 designed to go directly over waterborne. Although any solvent clear can be used over waterborne also. The worst part is the cost of the base since it is still "new" to the automotive world they can jack the prices up.