Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical To be Cool or not to be Kool!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by raprap, May 30, 2015.

1. raprap

raprap
    from Ohio

Ok, an odd title to a problem some of us might have. First off, I know A/C in a Hotrod is not traditional, but when Momma says I won't ride in that thing unless you have air (it's a black chopped coupe) and the temp is normally in the high 80's with tropical humidity, you install a good A/C unit.
    Last night, I cruised over to a favorite spot to hang with some buddies. I turned on the A/C only to find it blowing ambient air. So down came the windows and I arrived with the usual sweat stained T-shirt. After a great time, fired up the Chevy and left to go home. It really is a great feeling cruising down the highway in you ride, listening to exhaust note, sun going down, and stopping at the stoplight only to find that everyone around you is smiling and giving you the "thumbs up".
    Ok, nice moment has passed. I see an auto parts store still open and I turn in to park. I go inside and purchase one of those Pro-Air A/C recharge cans to see if all the Chevy needs is a squirt to get cold again. When I get home, I give it the juice and within 10 minutes, I'm all KOOL or Cool again.
    If this is all I need to do every ten years or so, man what a simple fix. Now I could have a small leak some where, but that might be a follow up at another time. Hopefully not!
    Solutions can be easy and simple without tear down compressors and other parts. I hope I got luky this time. Summer in Southern Ohio, windows up...sometimes!

2. n847

n847

You can use the sealant addative that stuff actually works pretty decent. Can be had at your local Autozone, O'reilly, etc. Comes in the same can as the stuff you already topped off the system with. They make some that actually just circulates around in your system till it hits oxygen then it reacts and seals the leak. The can cost around 20 bucks. When you buy the can make sure you don't ever try to re-use the hose, because it will leave that sealant in it and gum up. Also when you use it get another can of regular refrigerant to run a small amount immediatly behind it, because it will sit up at the fittings and gum it up so that next time you go to add it will be sealed shut.

Just my .02. I've used in on OT cars before with success.

scrap metal 48 likes this.
  3. raprap

raprap
    from Ohio

Thanks n847 for your comments. Good to know. Really need the A/C today!

4. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

I would use the freon with the die in it then look for it and fix the leak.

das858 likes this.

5. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

I always feel cool when I drive my 800 louvers, no windows coupe, but I don't think that's what your talking about...

belair and n847 like this.
  6. Gman0046

Gman0046

Refrigerant leaks never fix themselves and will get worse over time. Go to your nearest A/C shop and have them check it with a "sniffer".

Gary

7. n847

n847

Scrap Metal you look cool too!

8. 41 C28

41 C28

A hot Momma is a good thing , but not in the hotrod. Reconnecting the AC in my Dodge after being without all last year.

9. aerocolor

aerocolor
    from dayton

I used to think no hot rod should ever have a/c as it just wasn`t cool.
    Well these last few Ohio summer heat waves have changed my mind.

I now have four of my old cars equipped with air and love it. It`s nice to have a choice.

Now my buddies wives want to ride with me!!

scrap metal 48 and 41 C28 like this.
  10. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Better watch out.:D