Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Vintage "Cageless" Midget Picture Thread

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by KKx125, Feb 22, 2009.

1. Jim Nise

Jim Nise

I'm thinking Bob Disbrow on the 20, but can't verify.

2. slobitz

slobitz
    from drums, pa

3. slobitz

slobitz
    from drums, pa

ben cook jr..jpg ben cook jr..jpg John, That is a King photo of your Dad. This photo is Al with Ben Cook jr. in the checkerboard.

wicarnut likes this.
  4. 28dreyer

28dreyer
    from Minnesota

Well, it's been a weak (pun intended) since the last post.

Come on guys, it just takes a little trial and error to get with the new format.

Here is a midget I tripped across at the Lensing Historic Auto Museum south of Beloit, WI this summer. P1010010.JPG P1010013.JPG P1010011.JPG P1010012.JPG

wicarnut and slobitz like this.
  5. curby

curby
    from maine

Hey guys, re chrome alternitive to "real" chrome, cosmichrome. Check out Reflectionsusa.biz. Its my shop and I do this process. Works awesome on pot metal. Check it out and thank you.

6. 28dreyer

28dreyer
    from Minnesota

Apparently alternitive is an alternative to alternative.

LOL

7. 28dreyer

28dreyer
    from Minnesota

42 DAYS WITHOUT A POST!!!

IS ANYONE OUT THERE???

Roy Caruthers with Sam Browne belt

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 24, 2015
    racer5c likes this.
  8. fossilfish

fossilfish
    from Texas

I am still looking for photos of the Johnson Offy out of Houston Texas in the 30s, 40s and 50s.

9. 28dreyer

28dreyer
    from Minnesota

Supposedly the only time Jerry Richert drove a midget.

As the song goes..."who knows where or when".

RICHERT 75B.jpg

racer5c likes this.
  10. heminh2o

heminh2o
    from Tulare, CA

Saw this today and had to share

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1428292031.206379.jpg

Dean Lowe likes this.
  11. slobitz

slobitz
    from drums, pa

crocky9.jpg About time I figured how to get back on here.
    pic of my friend Crocky.

Dean Lowe and indybigjohn like this.
  12. 28dreyer

28dreyer
    from Minnesota

What engine are the SU carbs hanging on Stan?

13. slobitz

slobitz
    from drums, pa

Triump, The only good rides Crocky ever had were in my vintage cars.

14. 28dreyer

28dreyer
    from Minnesota

There was a Black Deuce midget that Billy Hoff campaigned in the Midwest in the 50's that was Offy powered. When that expired a V8-60 went in the car. It later showed up running Vintage in the late 80's up here and then got a Triumph engine.

They were a very tough engine and were also used in tractors in England. They had wet sleeves, a very tough crankshaft with hardened journals, and of course OHV. At 90 HP stock from 122 cubic inches with a sleeve kit that would take them out to 134 inches they should have been very competitive early on, and reliable against all but the Offy's.

They were in the Triumph TR2 starting in 1953. I suspect they weren't very available from a salvage yard until well into the sixties so probably few were utilized and perhaps some associations also only allowed domestically produced stock blocks.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2015
  15. Surfref32

Surfref32

Just found this article today although it's 8 years old. It's a little hard to believe the story though....

Attached Files:

16. 28dreyer

28dreyer
    from Minnesota

The first thing not to believe is that it is a midget.

17. 28dreyer

28dreyer
    from Minnesota

This beautiful newly built midget at the Indianapolis Fairground last Thursday running with the Vintage cars during the HOOSIER HUNDRED intermission.

Not a restoration, an original creation of chassis and body and suspension with period running gear and steering. Alfa Romeo powered.

Picture from Midwest Oldtimers Vintage Race Car Club website. Butch Evans build Alfa @ Hoosier 100 in 2015.jpg

Black vette 59 likes this.
  18. The 2.0 lotre Alfa is a beautiful engine in a midget. lots of torque & lots of grunt.Sry sumping using 2 x Holden 308 oil pumps back to back (machine 1 down 3/16" for scavenge), run 13:1 CR and mechanical injection. If you can get a hold of them, put a pair of Quagliata Alfa cams in the head.

19. oops that should read 2 litre

20. 28dreyer

28dreyer
    from Minnesota

Vintage Meets coming up.

This coming Thursday June 25th with a drivers meeting probably at 6:00 pm the Mississippi Valley Vintage Oldtimers Race Car Club will be running heats and features for sprints and midgets at the Southern Iowa Speedway, ½ mile dirt track in Oskaloosa, Iowa.

The next night, Friday, 35 miles west is the annual Nostalgia at Knoxville Meet presented by the Knoxville Speedway on the ½ mile dirt.

On Saturday afternoon is the Knoxville Hall of Fame induction ceremony and banquet and the regular Saturday night modern sprint car racing program.

On Thursday July 2nd and Friday the 3rd will be the final Vintage on track exhibition racing program of the AARA (Antique Auto Racing Association) at the ½ mile fairgrounds track in Van Wert, Ohio.

Again, heats and features for eligible cars.

This is the group that started Vintage exhibition racing 42 years ago and in the best days, ran 5 on track, two day events a year. Founders Dick McKee and Jim Ash were also instrumental in getting clubs in Davenport Iowa and Florida up and literally running.

Lately car counts have diminished due to an aging membership and the continued adherence to the eligibility of cars as originally specified at the inception of the club. A conscious decision to maintain that framework has been re-affirmed on many occasions in the later years and to cease operation when the car count could no longer support further events.

We have reached that point,and hope some new and old faces will join us for this fairwell race and party.

PM me with questions or for more info.

21. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

Are reproduction cars of no specific DNA eligible?

22. 28dreyer

28dreyer
    from Minnesota

Definitely yes at Oskaloosa and Knoxville.

Yes at the AARA meet, provided they meet other criteria. In the case of your 300 Ford, a special exception would probably be made as we have allowed 270 GMC, Ardun converted flat head Ford V8, and a few Chevy II, all non caged.

23. fourtogo

fourtogo
    from long beach

24. 28dreyer

28dreyer
    from Minnesota

Apparently a gully washer has hit Oskaloosa and tomorrow's Vintage race has been washed out.

Knoxville is uncertain yet for Friday depending on any further rain there.

25. 28dreyer

28dreyer
    from Minnesota

On track activity for tomorrow at Knoxville has been canceled, the barns will be available for displaying cars for those attending anyhow.

26. .....don't know if any of you guys can help.....a friend of mine has just got a midget....this is one of three identical cars found here in the UK.....now the car has been modified to run on the street,the original V8 60 being replaced,along with the steering box and axels......now,the story goes that six cars were brought over to the UK to try and promote racing here......these cars never returned to the States,and I was wondering if any of you knows anything of this ''Midget Circus''.....I'll try and get some photos of the car when found....any info appreciated.... DSC07211.jpg

27. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Back in 1948 they brought over several midgets to the U.K. and put on "team" U.S. vs. U.K. midget racing. If you go to the British Pathe video web site there are several film clips of the races.

28. Looks quite a bit bigger than a midget to me.

29. 28dreyer

28dreyer
    from Minnesota

The tires and wheels plus the photo angle may be causing that Dean.

In 1948 there would have been 12" diameter wheels. Midget wheelbase was and is, mostly 72 inches. Black Vette, what are they in this car?

The axle changes mentioned if from most smaller and older English cars I would think would also need to have been narrowed to keep proper track width.

30. DSC07215.jpg DSC07234.jpg .....OK...thanks for the info guys.....Rootie...the film reels were really cool......I think the car has been ''altered'' quite a bit.....the wheels,as 28dreyer said,are from an English Ford,as is the rear axel.....the front axel has been replaced,and has rack and pinion steering,and the car runs a Fiat twin cam and gearbox,and it wouldn't surprise me if the car had been stretched.....now Neil has some photos of the car as found,and this looks at lot more like a ''real'' midget.....straight front axel,Evans ( ?) steering box....Model A rear end,friction shocks,front and back....once I get these I'll share.....oh,I did manage to fit into it....just,oh Dean great to see your car out on the sand again....

Dean Lowe likes this.