Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects '34 Ford Truck, Hay Hauler to Hot Rod(Done!)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 3dnsouth, Dec 15, 2013.

1. For "just a guy learning and trying stuff in his garage" you sure know how to make the rest of us look like bumbling idiots. Amazing, work brother, I can't wait to set my greasy Levis on that nice white seat.

2. Carl5Coupe

Carl5Coupe
    from Buford Ga

Hey Tim, I missed the ride up last weekend so I didn't get to see the truck in person. It sure is looking nice brother. What ya been doing on it lately?

3. Primered Forever

Primered Forever
    from Joplin,MO

Looks great Tim!!!!

4. dang that truck is sexy!!!

5. StrickV8

StrickV8

Is the '34 Truck debuting this year at the Lone Star Roundup? Always wanted to go...this would be a good excuse!

6. Gr8laker

Gr8laker
    from Michigan

7. Bump for May :rolleyes: April went home.

8. The 39 guy

The 39 guy

Well there goes another hour and half well spent. Just found your build thread and couldn't stop reading it until I made it through page 8. Like everyone else that has been following your great build thread and enjoying the results of your labors I want to see the finished product.

Your skill set is high level and your presentation of your work has been top notch too. Thanks for sharing the build with us.

9. bengeltiger

bengeltiger

Late to the party again. :(
    Great job. Like that you're doing so much of it yourself. Subscribed to finish the ride.

10. Thanks a bunch fellas! I do need to post some more pics, will do shortly.

patmanta likes this.
  11. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

shortly was 12 days ago ;)

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  12. brady1929

brady1929

Awesome interior work.

13. Sorry Larry......yup, the postin' slacker is back. Just not a ton of earth shaking pics to post, lotta time consuming 'stuff'.

So before I could make the kick panels, I figure I really need my floor covering in so the panel length would be right. Searched for a good while for some rubber type mat to install, but to no avail. Just didn't see anything that would work good. When I would find something I liked, it wouldn't come in a wide enough size. SO.....I broke down and gave into the idea of carpet. I really didn't want this thing to be 'streetroddy', but....in goes some black carpet. THEN the carpet search goes on....there's black and then there's BLACK. Ya know, it's gotta be what your looking for or you won't have your heart into it when you're installin'. Too many dang choices.

I put a layer of heat insulation on top of the dynamat, what the hey, can't hurt. Make a cardboard pattern, that's where it all starts.
    IMG_0436 (800x598).jpg

guthriesmith, Dog_Patch and patmanta like this.
  14. Ahh, it posted. Gotta remember how to do this posting thing.

ANYWHO....It's the little stuff that bugs the crap outta ya and makes ya scratch your head. How to kill off the edge of the carpet at the door opening. You never really thing about this stuff when you're gandering at other hot rods, at least I didn't. Do an angle piece from stainless, just glue it down, aluminum piece, etc. So, a tip from my buddy Chad...cut strip of vinyl, flip it on it's back, sew it to the carpet edge from the top, wrap it around, glue it or staple it ( I glued it since there was no board in this application). It comes out pretty neat, feel free to use it some time. Also used it on the fuse panel cover and the bottom of the firewall cover.

IMG_0328 (800x598).jpg IMG_0329 (800x598).jpg IMG_0334 (800x598).jpg

Here's a shot of the firewall cover in place. Hard to get a good pic.

IMG_0337 (800x598).jpg

Fabbed up some boots and got it all squared away. Doesn't look like much time involved, but when ya don't know what yer doin'...... she's in though.
    IMG_0486 (800x598).jpg IMG_0487 (800x598).jpg

Greenblade, kiwijeff, Malcolm and 2 others like this.
  15. Well that posting went OK. I'll post up some shots of my speedometer cable adventure next, gotta go to work now, keep the cash flow goin', they don't give this stuff away. Be back. Thanks for the kind words guys!!

16. ynottayblock

ynottayblock

looks good. For the carpet trim, once you fold it over...you can topstitch through the trim and carpet as well on the sewing machine

17. Well, lightening got the router. So, be a few days 'fore the next posting, whenever AT&T can get another one here. Stupid lightening.

18. rcnut223

rcnut223
    from wisconsin

Thanks for sharing the carpeted firewall tip!

Great build !

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

19. Well, AT&T comes through, got a new router out and installed...good to go.

If you've ever dealt with running ANYTHING under old rides like a '32, you know space it at a premium. Especially if you've got manual clutch linkage, 4-speed shift linkage, master cylinder, and crossmember stuff thrown under there. I had really been wanting to run a manual S-W speedo (had a good old one), but man, there was no good way to get from point A to point B. The cable went OK through the shift linkage, but the rest of the way to the speedo was like walkin' through kudzu. Coming up through the floor meant coming up 4 or 5 inches over from the kick panel, right where your feet are (and the master cylinder, and clutch linkage, and...). Too many sharp bends, a lump in the floor, and lookin' like a mud hut. I wasn't gonna just stick it up and through the front of the firewall either (more 'mud hut'-ness'). I tried, believe me.

So, I gave into the idea of the electric speedo (reluctantly, hell, it had carpet now....geez). Well guess what, the dang sender for the speedo wouldn't come close to cooperating with the Munce shift linkage. Pisser! What the hell, I just want a speedo that works, is that asking too much? Thinkin' cap goes on....got an idea. Cable to the remote mounted sender...gonna do it...gotta do it. Check the pics, you'll see what I be speakin' of.

Tight spot...
    IMG_0452 (800x598).jpg

From underneath...
    IMG_0450 (800x598).jpg

So I happened to have an extra speedo fitting for a Muncie. Turned it down on one end, added set screws to hold the cable, and bored it just a bit to fit the OD of the cable.
    IMG_0445 (800x598).jpg IMG_0446 (800x598).jpg IMG_0447 (800x598).jpg

Cut down a cable and added the end for the sender...gettin' there.
    IMG_0455 (800x598).jpg IMG_0457 (800x598).jpg

Better post these pics 'fore I lose the post...

Max Gearhead and Dog_Patch like this.
  20. Now to mount the sender on the frame rail. I put a connector on the wiring to the sender, just in case I ever have to remove it. Dang sure don't wanna snake that wire back up to the speedo again. No pictures, didn't happen, right...here ya go.

Goin' in...
    IMG_0458 (800x598).jpg

I fabbed up a plate to go on the outside of the sender to hold it to the frame rail. Two tapped holes and BAM, she's there.
    IMG_0456 (800x598).jpg IMG_0462 (800x598).jpg

I tell ya, this kinda stuff just eats time. But what the hey, it's an adventure and a learning process. Building one yourself keeps the brain cells from dying. Someone probably sells something like this, but I don't know and didn't even look. Good times.

I'll probably put some kind of a small heat shield sumpin-sumpin to protect the cable from the heat of the pipe. It's actually just off of the pipe and not crooked as the fisheye lens makes it look. I think we're there, close quarters.
    IMG_0465 (800x598).jpg

D-Russ, Max Gearhead and Dog_Patch like this.
  21. You're a machine, Tim! Lookin good!

3dnsouth likes this.
  22. Its that kind of thinking that he used to fix my tach cable on Saturday too ;) Really looking good there Tim. That Georgia red clay is gonna lay nice under there :D

fourspeedwagon and 3dnsouth like this.
  23. damn brother.....can't wait to see it in person

3dnsouth likes this.
  24. Dayuhm nice truck ... as has been said, over and over, and over again. So here I am. What's left to say ? DAMNED nice truck !!! (repeat at leisure, of course ! )

25. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

That is a neat enough idea for the carpet edge, however there is also this:
    https://www.bondproducts.com/instabind-carpet-binding-tape/

26. Good tip right there, thanks man!

27. stealthcruiser

stealthcruiser

Lookin' good, Brother Tim!
    I hadn't checked in for a while to see the progress, and it's come a ways since we were up there doin' that midnight run, trying to follow you by the sound of that Flattie!

When we goin' ridin' in it?
    Or is it gonna be a trailer queen?..............:eek: