Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods SBC Cyl Head Question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by blazedogs, May 26, 2015.

1. blazedogs

blazedogs

I have read articles about Chev's.( vortec) heads ,that they are superior to the older heads; more hp,better gas mileage etc..Edelbrock is apparently making a intake now making them compatible with the older small block chev engines. Appreciate any info on this... Thanks
    Gene

2. Budget36

Budget36

What's the question?

The heads can be bolted to any SBC (well, I don't know about the latest ones in the past 15+ years or so),

Vortec heads are good and efficient, but seem to recall either they can't take a lot of cam lift in stock form, or don't benefit from it...something in the .480/.490 range?, but flow well and make good, economical power.

3. jetnow1

jetnow1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from CT
    1. A-D Truckers

What do you want to know- they use center bolt style valve covers, intake manifold uses a different
    bolt pattern so they are not traditional in appearance. Exhaust ports are raised compared to older designs
    so while rams horn manifolds etc will bolt on the do not fit/breath to full effect. Stock lift is limited
    to about .450. Designed for trucks so good low end torque, good for street. They now make some that
    will accept the old style perimeter valve covers.

4. gonmad

gonmad

They're the best flowing "factory" SBC head out there I believe. I've had 3 sets of them and currently have them on my TT 355 that is pushing about 750ish HP to the tires. Granted that is boosted, so not your "average" SBC! LoL! In NA form I had a generic 11:1 355 that made 325hp 425tq to the tires with a .510 lift cam. Pretty torquey with a nice and flat curve. Current lift is .590, just need to cut the guide bosses down.
    And what Jet said above also.

5. henryj1951

henryj1951
    from USA

6. You can use an old style intake on them by just elongating the center two holes, some of the truck heads had perimeter bolt rocker covers, the raven has had a set since about '04. I don't remember the year of them.

They work well stock but there are other GM heads that also work well stock. I haven't really worked with any but I have been told that they don't take to being modified well, as in port work modified. I guess it isn't necessary to do so. if I had a set I would run them and not look back. ;)

7. squirrel

squirrel

Careful here, you might be confusing the 87-95 heads with the 96-up heads. The term "vortec heads" usually refers to the 96-up heads, which do indeed have a completely different intake bolt pattern. The 87-95 heads only have the center 4 bolts at a different angle.

8. aaggie

aaggie

I have a set on my current 400SBC and I had the machine shop enlarge the valve spring seat and cut down the guide boss for the Comp Cams springs. It pulls really hard and makes power 'till about 5200 when the cam goes flat. I built the engine for torque.

flux capacitor likes this.
  9. Well those were vortec heads weren't they? That's what they were called.

10. pdq67

pdq67

11. squirrel

squirrel

Yep. But most guys won't admit that "vortec" is just a marketing term for "truck engine", and they think it only applies to 1996-2000 small block V8s. So you kinda gotta make sure you specify just what it is you're talking about.

12. Guess you are right, at least you and I have to, the rest of 'em just get to dumb dumb through life. ;)

squirrel likes this.
  13. steinauge

steinauge
    from 1960

I have a set of GMPP aluminum vortecs on a back door 327(350 4 bolt block with a 307 crank) they take either perimeter or center bolt valve covers but do only accept the late style intake.IME the iron vortec heads will outflow any other stock iron chevy head and are easy to pocket port.Stock springs wont accept much cam,but there are a LOT of aftermarket springs out there.if you have a set I would sure use them.If you must have the permiter bolt covers speedway does have an adaptor.

14. JOECOOL

JOECOOL

One of the best discussions I've seen about heads and H.P. Too bad most people will never read it.

15. blazedogs

blazedogs

Thanks for the info. I guess I was referring to the 96 - 2000 Vortec Heads.I was not aware of earlier heads that used the same term (Vortec), had heard good things about them , just rumors maybe !! Wanted your input. In regards to most HAMB Members- I respect your knowledge and experiences and most often learn a lot.... Gene

16. So when you say "most" you were referring to squirrel about not being knowledgeable, right? :D

I think that the earlier heads actually used the same basic technology just the later ones are more refined. Raised exhaust ports for example.

@JOECOOL
    I was going to read that discussion but I aint doin' it now. ;)

17. JOECOOL

JOECOOL

AAAAw come on read it ,its gots nudie pic's.

18. Well I probably should admit this but neeekid chebbys do give me wood. :eek:

19. flux capacitor

flux capacitor

Lot of customers come in at work asking why their rocker arms won't stay in place on back yard vortec swaps, their larger pushrod openings they take those goofy self aligning oem style rockers or need the stud boss machined down to accomidate guide plates to keep push rods in place . I've tried some older RHS vortec chambered heads on a low rpm 406 for torque under 3500 & wasn't terribly impressed with them. Like the others say good for low rpm driver, but added costs of the rockers, intake & gaskets pribably not worth it. Not to say they don't have specific combos they work best with. Flux.

20. aaggie

aaggie

I used the Jegs house brand self aligning roller rockers and they work great. You can't use both guide plates and self aligning rockers, it will bind.

flux capacitor likes this.
  21. henryj1951

henryj1951
    from USA

65 pages
    anaway they favor F L A T O P pistons .... and i never found any MISS-information ...YET

22. Kinda OT/ Highjacking but, what cam are you using?

23. jetnow1

jetnow1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from CT
    1. A-D Truckers

If the original poster is buying new, it will very quickly add up to the cost of aluminum heads with
    easily available manifolds etc without adding in cost of machine work to cut down guides, add
    self aligning rockers etc. Just another possibility to add to the fire.

24. Speed Gems

Speed Gems

:eek:
    Good thing I just ate dinner.:eek:

25. Can I open my eyes yet? Friends don't let friends run vortec heads.

26. I would buy some AFR alum heads and match a cam to them and make lots of HP- the 180's would make good tork.

27. in2hotrodz

in2hotrodz
    from Spiro, OK

Ran Vortec for years on my circle track race engines. We were limited to a .480-lift solid flat tapped cam, right in the sweet spot for Vortecs which seem to stall out around .500-lift. With 0.050 durations in the 260's we ran them at 74-7500rpm all night long. Almost nobody ran the old double-humps, they just couldn't keep up. To the OP, run the Vortecs and don't look back. Casting numbers will end with 906 or 062.