Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Do you know this car or this man...???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by okeesignguy, May 27, 2015.

1. okeesignguy

okeesignguy

This is a car that I owned before and sold about 6 years ago...
    Dreading the day I sold her, she is making her way back into my life and I am overjoyed and will probably never sell her again... :)

The car was built somewhere in New York from around 1999 to around 2003...???
    I bought it from a retired GM guy in the Ft. Myers area 7 or 8 years ago and after a year or two sold it to invest the money into a business that eventually failed...I have always felt as tho I gave the car away because I might as well have :( She has been "the one that got away"

It has never really been determined whether the car is a 30 or a 31 Chevy but it is a real, all steel car and I believe it sits on a boxed Ford model A frame...
    I would also like to finally figure out exactly what year it really is...???

I am attaching some pix that include build pix to see if maybe someone here recognizes either the car OR the builder...who knows...maybe it is you! LOL

Thanx for any help given...[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. The frames a 32 ford, probably repro rails..

3. Jimbo17

Jimbo17

Sorry I cannot help you out with the questions you asked.
    That is one very sweet .looking ride and I can see why you wanted the car back again!!

Jimbo

volvobrynk and okeesignguy like this.
  4. paul55

paul55
    from michigan

It's definitely a '31.

5. okeesignguy

okeesignguy

And what makes you say that...???
    What is the difference between them...???
    How can you tell...???

6. okeesignguy

okeesignguy

It was a few years ago and I do not remember the details of that other than to say it was not a problem...I think he titled it as a street rod and that did not require a year perhaps...???

Also...I skimmed that page (I am at work) and I don't see anything that would help me identify the year...what am I missing...??? Thanx!

grifcarnut likes this.
  7. alchemy

alchemy

Grille is a 33 or 34 Ford truck. Give us a very close up of the area where the bars attach to the surround and I can tell you which.

8. The windshield header appears more contoured on a '32, at least to me. The 1931 is more squared off with a visor. Also judging by the location of the door hinges, Iwould guess 1931.

9. It's a '32 Ford frame but it's not a Ford body...30/31 Chevy would be my guess. HRP

10. I was talking about Chevrolet, sorry. The original post states 30/31 Chevy (body) but asked which it was.

11. okeesignguy

okeesignguy

Thanx! Unfortunately I have not bought it back yet...it may be a few weeks as I have a Corvette I am selling to help fund the purchase...
    When I do tho I will do that :)

12. bct

bct

So excited to add another post to your count that you didn't read the thread?

blowby, kiwijeff and HEMI32 like this.
  13. okeesignguy

okeesignguy

14. Its a competition. LOL :D :D

I am watching the thread to see if I can learn something I don't know much about early 30s chevys.

volvobrynk likes this.
  15. paul55

paul55
    from michigan

In 1930, they didn't make a 5W body style. The '30 doesn't have a body reveal around the fender opening, and the body lines are different. Also, the trunk hinges on the '30 are visible. Have had many early 30's Chevys over the years.

jadegrenade 51 and volvobrynk like this.
  16. Man this guy here is just Mr Chevy Coupe.^^^
    Watch him or he'll have everyone driving one. he has one of the sweetest ones around right now.

volvobrynk likes this.
  17. Model T1

Model T1

Since this car has been slightly modified most of these facts are useless. Being the past owner of a 1933 Master I'd guess this is a 1931. I'd call it whatever the title shows. Good luck on getting it back.

18. Phtttttt :p

I wouldn't even bother with that I would just call her Gloria and ride 'er hard and put 'er up wet.

19. paul55

paul55
    from michigan

Thanks for the kind words!

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  20. 31Apickup

31Apickup

I'll add to it, 31 Chevy or could be Pontiac, 31 & 32 had the same body lines, but the 31 had the visor and the 32 doesn't have a visor and the top is more rounded above the windshield.

21. okeesignguy

okeesignguy

So...they didn't even make a 5 window coupe in 1930...??? Are you sure about that because there are an awful lot of them out there being called 30s...
    As a matter of fact the visors on the ones that are being called 30s looks a lot like mine whereas the pictures that I have seen of known 31s the visors seem lower with an edge that goes straight up in the front...???
    Trust me when I say that I am not questioning your knowledge because I have almost none with cars of this era... :)

22. the article mostly deals with interior changes for 1931. Inner sun shade as opposed to an exterior one on the earlier ones. However, by your build images this was pieced together........

23. Paul seems to be the most knowledgeable man about early Chevy's,I would listen to him. HRP

24. okeesignguy

okeesignguy

THIS
    [​IMG]
    VS THIS
    [​IMG]
    Actually the visor on mine looks as tho he might have fabricated it...???
    Both of the above pix were listed as 30s although we all know how much weight that holds...LOL

volvobrynk and Model T1 like this.
  25. paul55

paul55
    from michigan

I'm sure about the 5W, not coming out til '31. In the pic above, the white one is a Model A Ford, not a GM body. Your visor definitely looks like a homemade piece. Hope all this helps.

26. Again,,listen to Paul,he knows the difference in a Model A and a Chevrolet. HRP!

27. paul55

paul55
    from michigan

Forgot to mention, in '31 and '32, they made a 3W and 5W . The 5W being the most common. Thanks for the vote of confidence HRP.

28. The37Kid

The37Kid

Most people will ID this as a 1930 -31 FORD Model A. Bob

[​IMG]

Model T1 likes this.
  29. ned5049

ned5049

It's a 31. 3 hinges. 32 had 2. Also 32 had rounded upper forward door frames and rounded front header panel. 31 had visor which could get lost when the wood rots away, especially in N.Y. State. Photo attached of mine. It's from N.Y. 1014.JPG 1022.JPG 1022.JPG

Model T1, okeesignguy and bct like this.