Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Anybody used Posie's 35-40 parallel rear kit? (or weedetr or TCI

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by fftoddster, May 26, 2015.

1. fftoddster

fftoddster

Thinking about using this kit and wondered if any of you have, and if you would recommend it?

Want to drop the rear of 37 sedan as much as possible without having to C notch or use lowering blocks.

Ease of installation? (body on) Ride Quality?
    Do shock mounts need to be welded on?

Was going to go with Weedetr but he only has rev eye springs now and won't have reg springs for quite awhile. Think it may be too low and need to C notch.

Anybody use TCI1935 - 1940 Ford Car Rear Parabolic Leaf Spring Suspension Kit They claim it will lower rear 4" without blocks. This kit is mounted under the frame rail like the Chassis Engineering kit so I am little skeptical about not having to use lowering blocks?

2. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My 40 has a weedetr kit with reversed eye springs--in the avatar

3. fftoddster

fftoddster

I like it... Is it C notched? Tire size?

4. I run Posie's on my 47 with no blocks- height is adjustable to your taste and no problems

5. Bob Labla

Bob Labla
    from mitten

I'm using that kit on my '40 pickup. As you can see, it sits pretty high. Granted, a pickup is probably lighter in the rear than a coupe, but I think its close to a stock height. I'm currently in the process of re-arching the springs. The truck, in the pic, is on jack stands under the axle. valve covers 2 003.jpg

6. 2935ford

2935ford

I did a Posie kit on my '35 slantback.
    Worked great.

7. AVater

AVater
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Connecticut HAMB'ers

Planning on something like this in the future--can you folks share some down under views?

Thanks

8. fftoddster

fftoddster

So wait a minute! I am looking at the Posie's bolt on kit and this is what their catalog says:
    "8040B 1935-40 Ford Bolt-in Stock Frames 2 Position Ride Height
    8040W
    1935-40 Ford Weld-in Boxed Frames 2 Position Ride Height
    8048B
    1942-48 Ford Bolt-in 4 Position Ride Height
    Note:
    Kits are designed as bolt-in kits for ease of installation. As with all
    suspension components, the frame brackets must be welded for final
    assembly before driving vehicle."

Does that mean it is NOT a bolt on kit? Is the process of drilling out the rivets and holes and bolting it in only for alignment purposes and essentially the whole thing needs to be welded or it is not safe to drive?

9. fftoddster

fftoddster

• BOLT-IN INSTALLATION
    • 2 OR 4 POSITION ADJUSTABLE
    RIDE HEIGHT
    • SUPER LOW, SUPER RIDE!
    Part # Description
    8040B
    1935-40 Ford Bolt-in Stock Frames 2 Position Ride Height
    8040W
    1935-40 Ford Weld-in Boxed Frames 2 Position Ride Height
    8048B
    1942-48 Ford Bolt-in 4 Position Ride Height
    Note: Kits are designed as bolt-in kits for ease of installation. As with all
    suspension components, the frame brackets must be welded for final
    assembly before driving vehicle.

10. Bob Labla

Bob Labla
    from mitten

Mine is all bolt in. No welding. You will have to drill some extra holes into the frame. The brackets use existing frame holes for alignment.

11. Pewsplace

Pewsplace

I have used all three and all are easy to install. TCI has the new parabolic rear springs which allow for a smoother ride. If you put the rear mount through the frame and not below it you won't require lowering blocks.
    IMG_8526.jpg
    I used the stock TCI rear bracket on this car which requires 3" lowering blocks to set properly. If you discard the bracket, run a tube through the frame you won't need lowering blocks. SAC used to sell this set up.
    IMG_7323.jpg
    The shock mounts simply bolt on the stock crossmember.

12. tj

tj

Used Posie's on my 38 coupe - worked great. Shocks bolt on but I removed the stock X member and replaced with 2" boxed tube for extra clearance.

13. aerocolor

aerocolor
    from dayton

I used Chassis engineering. It`s about $540.
    Everything bolts in and rides well. Comes completed with shocks, brackets, and springs.
    I have them on a few of my cars.

Attached Files:

• 004.JPG
      004.JPG
      File size:
      268.4 KB
      Views:
    • 005.JPG
      005.JPG
      File size:
      302.6 KB
      Views:
  14. aerocolor

aerocolor
    from dayton

A bit of advice. Buy the kit at a major show and get free shipping.

Normal shipping can run over $150 so it`s a pretty good savings.

Bill

15. I used a Chassis Eng. setup on the 36 Ford I used to have. It fit great rode great. Was a breeze to install. No blocks set just fine. Did tack weld the brackets just for a good measure. Bought it from a Alliance vendor back then and got free shipping on all my parts.

16. Installed a CE kit on my '35 and it sat sorta high to me, couple inches higher than my kid's stock height '36. Made some 3-1/4" blocks and got it down a little, may have to adjust the height as the springs settle. Biggest hassle is the amount of wedge needed to get the pinion angle right. Had the same lowering block and pinion angle deal with the CE kit in my '47. Next time, I will cut the original spring saddles off and use new ones; but that kinda messes with the idea of a "bolt-on" kit.

IMG_3077.jpg IMG_3078.jpg IMG_3209.jpg