Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects The Rosebud Modified: a Build Thread (pre war/ wartime single seat roadster)

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by PeteFromTexas, May 23, 2015.

1. PeteFromTexas

PeteFromTexas

And here we are. Frame on the floor. A long way from being finished. It's all tacked together and ready to move forward. I couldn't easily move the suspension, motor and trans on and off the table. So I pulled it down a made some room to really get some work done.

Remember, the rear crossmember is just temporary.

Attached Files:

kiwijeff and volvobrynk like this.
  2. PeteFromTexas

PeteFromTexas

Ok, on to the front suspension. 36 front.

I put the wheels on the front and slid the axle and spring up under the front end. Stock 36 spring pack with four leafs removed.

In place, square and centered up I took the center section from a junk 35 ford front crossmember and made my perch. It's not shown here but I'm going to trim it up and make it look real nice. I'm using stock 39 Ford U-bolts and spring clamps.

Attached Files:

volvobrynk likes this.
  3. PeteFromTexas

PeteFromTexas

On to the rear. 40 Ford banjo.

For now, until I figure out what I'm going to do back here, the rear is set at ride height and basically mocked up in place. Nothing much to report here till later on. Just pics of the car with four wheels!!

Attached Files:

kiwijeff and volvobrynk like this.
  4. PeteFromTexas

PeteFromTexas

My personal favorite photo so far....

(Excuse the mess. My shop is a disaster after a flood last week)

Attached Files:

5. ANDEREGG TRIBUTE

ANDEREGG TRIBUTE
    from Bordertown

So effin' cool!!!!!!!

6. PeteFromTexas

PeteFromTexas

At this point I still hadn't figured out what to do worth the rear yet so I decided to set the motor. As I said before it is a 48 Chevy 216. It will be going for a full race rebuild later but for now I need to set it in the chassis. These pics show the motor pretty far forward but I think in going to bring it back just a little.

You can really see here how narrow the rails are. The starter clears with about 1/2 an inch and the bell housing is just barely able to squeeze in. Luckily in running the exhaust on the outside of the body.

Attached Files:

kiwijeff, tb33anda3rd and volvobrynk like this.
  7. Building a modified is soooo much fun! I started on one using a narrowed [6"] 31 chevy pickup cowl and doors with a 250 chevy/T-5, 5 speed.
    The new owner switched it to a 235/3 speed. I used a 36 chevy pickup front axle and I underslung it...big kickup in the rear with a model A spring....new owner [Xderelict] swapped out spring.I never got to drive it. You'll have to give us a full driving report.
    Rockysmodified.jpg

sko_ford and volvobrynk like this.
  8. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well you have me hooked on this one. I like what I'm seeing on it.

9. PeteFromTexas

PeteFromTexas

I always thought that car was awesome. Dick is a fellow Stovebolt enthusiast.

10. PeteFromTexas

PeteFromTexas

Thanks!

11. PeteFromTexas

PeteFromTexas

Completed a little more work on the front on this particular day. I wasn't happy with the way the from spring looked. I decided to put back the springs I removed. Not only does it look better but will hold up the extra 200+ lbs of the 6 cylinder.

Attached Files:

volvobrynk likes this.
  12. Rusty

Rusty

Go Pete Go!!!

THE235KID likes this.
  13. PeteFromTexas

PeteFromTexas

I finally made a decision in the rear crossmember. I was able to get one that was in pretty good shape other than the ends being cut off. Thanks to Mike Santiago. It arrived and it was time to button this thing up in the back.

Attached Files:

14. PeteFromTexas

PeteFromTexas

Thanks Rusty. In hoping to have this thing done in the next year. Possibly by PnP.

15. PeteFromTexas

PeteFromTexas

I had some trouble getting my hands on 2 good spring clamps. I finally found some from a 39 Ford. After just a little trimming on the spring clamps to fit the Model A crossmember I bolted the crossmember up to the rear spring to get a feel for where it needs to go. I didn't have the proper transmission at that time so it was a little bit of a guess.

Attached Files:

volvobrynk likes this.
  16. What are you going to run for a transmission?

17. PeteFromTexas

PeteFromTexas

A little detail on the crossmember. At some point the ends were cut off. Probably to put in a 32 chassis or something. Anyways, I think the width is perfect for this build do instead of welding stock ends on I'm going to reshape what's there to look stock. I haven't done it yet but here is the pic I took to help me make up my mind.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 26, 2015
  18. PeteFromTexas

PeteFromTexas

That info is coming very soon

19. PeteFromTexas

PeteFromTexas

Thanks!

20. PeteFromTexas

PeteFromTexas

I'm getting close to being caught up with the current state of the build.

I had planned in using the 37 Packard transmission that I picked up from a buddy. It would require an adapter and and the machining of a 36 Chevy trans tail housing to adapt the torque tube. I had most of the parts but the 36 Chevy trans tail housing. I found a few but getting someone to ship the trans or take it apart as just ship the tail housing proved to be difficult.

So... I opted for the next best thing. I went searching for a 41-47 Chevy 3/4 truck 3 speed , top loader transmission. I found 2 which is apparently a miracle. After locating a bell housing that fit (not the same as any other Stovebolt bell housing) I bilted it together with the engine.

The first pic is of the 37 Packard trans. (For sale if the current buyer backs out)

Attached Files:

stoveboltswede and volvobrynk like this.
  21. PeteFromTexas

PeteFromTexas

I have to adapt the Chevy trans to the Ford torque tube. I don't plan on sitting any of the wishbones. It will be tricky but I have a few ideas.

22. PeteFromTexas

PeteFromTexas

Trans mounted, rear installed and now it's time to figure out the torque tube!

Attached Files:

23. PeteFromTexas

PeteFromTexas

After playing with the Ford and Chevy torque tubes I figured out the exact pieces I needed to make it work. Over all the torque tube is 35.5 inches long. Not much but it will do its job. I'll need to reinforce the ball socket on the back of the trans but that shouldn't be to bad.

These are all the pieces that will make it work.

Attached Files:

volvobrynk likes this.
  24. PeteFromTexas

PeteFromTexas

That pretty much has me caught up. I'll keep posting updates as I get more stuff done.

volvobrynk likes this.
  25. This is the type of build that got me hooked on the HAMB. very nice build, thanks for sharing

26. PeteFromTexas

PeteFromTexas

Thanks!

27. brad2v

brad2v

28. silent rick

silent rick

so what's the story maury. you can't leave us hanging.

29. marioD

marioD

We need UPDATES!

volvobrynk likes this.