Register now to get rid of these ads!

Chevy 235

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by stoveboltswede, May 24, 2015.

1. Installing new cam.

I'm going to install a new cam with mechanic lifters in a -56 235 that has hydraulic lifters now, do I need to replace the rockers or are they the same on hydraulic and mechanic camshafts?
    And does anyone else got problems when ordering from Patricks antiques? They charged my creditcard over a month ago but still haven't shipped my parts.....and doesn't answer my mails.....

Last edited: May 24, 2015
  2. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

Rockers for '53-'62 235 - 261 are same, so no problem there. Now's the best time to check shaft clearance & reface them. Any cam grind other than a stocker, best keep the R's under 4000 or go to tube pushrods. Hope you folks don't have to deal with ethanol there ...
    Dealing with Patrick can be an experience ...

Last edited: May 24, 2015
  3. Thanks for the info! I've bought the 264 grind complete with new solid lifters and tubular pushrods so I hope it will Rev at least 4500 along with tripple Holley 94s. If I get the parts from Patricks....

4. 'Mo

'Mo

My experiences with Patrick's have been good. They are a small, family run business.
    Patrick's wife and son are also very knowledgeable, and all have been helpful in phone conversations.
    I have never heard anyone question their integrity.

Three 94's sound like lots of carburetion for a 235. What manifold will you be running?

5. squirrel

squirrel

This guy bored and stroked a 261 before putting 3 97s on it. And it has progressive linkage.

[​IMG]

6. steinauge

steinauge
    from 1960

I believe 94s are only rated about 160 cfm each? I flow benched several rochester model Bs on our little flowbench here at work about 10 years ago and the big ones for the 292 ran around 170 CFM.I was surprised at how much difference in flow there was between 5 "identical" carbs! I bet your engine will sound and run well with that combination!

stoveboltswede likes this.
  7. 'Mo

'Mo

The progressive linkage sounds interesting. Do you know if it runs two primary carbs?

BTW, The much-modified 216 in my Avatar '49 runs well with 2 two 94's on an Edmunds manifold.

[​IMG]

8. It's a Howard intake that I modified to fit chevy 235. Also got a progressive linkage

Attached Files:

9. The progressive carblinkage uses the middle carb as primary , I think it's a must with progressive linkage on a street engine?

10. 'Mo

'Mo

I have no experience with the tri-carb, And the beautiful Chevy on TRJ cover pictured above certainly appears state of the art.

It does seem to me, however, with better fuel distribution being one of the main benefits of multiple carbs on the six,
    that some advantage may be lost by using one carb only at part throttle. (That is, unless the manifold plenum is perhaps partitioned to favor delivery from a single barrel to the outer ports.) You may get better part-throttle distribution by engineering your linkage to run the end carbs as primaries, and the center as a secondary.

Interestingly, there was a set-up (the name escapes me at the moment) that ran three individual runners (one per carb)
    directly to the head, and incorporated 97's with split throttle shafts, and dual linkage for progressive operation!

I think you will like your cam. I have a similar cam from the same grinder in another 216, but with a little less duration on the exhaust (254), to smooth it out for the little spray-oiler. This is about as much cam as can be ground into a used core, and as close as I could get to the dual-pattern McGurk stick in my '49.

Last edited: May 28, 2015