Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 1959 ford disk brake conversion

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by EV34, Feb 15, 2015.

1. EV34

EV34

I have a 1959 ford country sedan station wagon and I'm looking to upgrade the drum brakes. Has anyone used the scarebird braket kit? Did you like it?

What brake master cylinder and booster do you need to get to make it all work? Just looking for some ideas and I'm open to other kits or ways of doing it if any one wants to share.

Thanks in advance
    Ethan

2. EV34

EV34

Morning crowd have any input?

3. 48ford

48ford

the spindles off a 1977-79 t bird bolt on and your good to go( ltd ll and couger are the same) go to the 57ford international site. its all the same under the sheet metal

4. I would use the Scarebird brackets and buy all the parts he suggests. I used another kit that came with everything and it took some work to make it usable. I used a Speedway master on mine with a CPP proportioning valve. The existing line for the rear was massage-able to go to the proportioning valves. All of the others I made up.
    prop valve.jpg

5. 57countrysedan

57countrysedan
    from NY

When I had my 57 i was going to use the scarebird set up. Email the guy he'll get right back to u. Just based on the response Id recommend it!

6. used one on my Ply great kit was real happy with the tech also

7. EV34

EV34

Thanks guys I'll email them and go from there.

8. stealthcruiser

stealthcruiser

My 59 Ford, Country Sedan Wagon............79 T-bird spindles.
    Milled the bottom mount boss a little, so that the castle nut would line up with cotter key hole.
    79 T-Bird master cylinder, and no power booster.
    Rear wheel cylinders are the same part# on the 59, as they are on the 79, according to Rock Auto.

Mine stops great.

9. RmK57

RmK57

My doner was a 69 Torino. Spindles and the calipers were the only thing that was saved everything else is new. I did have to ream the bottom spindle hole to fit the larger 57 ball joint.
    Mustang, Torino, Montego, Cougar, all use the same parts.

10. rockguy13

rockguy13

Anyone ever tried using a 79 Lincoln for a doner car to do this?

11. If you use other spindles, the front wheel track get about 1" wider and you have to use the wheels off the donor car as well. You may not even be able to use 14" steel wheels if you wanted to either.

Also if you just get a doner parts from another car, your most likely going to have to buy all the small bits and pieces and rebuilt calipers anyhow.
    Getting doner parts now a days isnt what it used to be, you will have to pay up more for some weird 73 Tbird caliper and disc, than fining a common GM part at a parts counter when the day comes.

The last part is you can always go back to the original, when you change the spindle you start messing with the tie rod ends and stuff.

12. Dragger52

Dragger52

wilwood disc brakes makes a kit that will bolt on to your stock spindles and that should fit inside the stock steelies.

13. Kickin' myself in the ass for not running into the Wilwood kit before I did mine with someone else's. A couple of bucks more, but it looks well worth it.