Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Willys Body Mounts

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 38 2 DR Sedan, Mar 7, 2015.

1. Hey HAMB'S, can any Willys guys post some picture of what was used for the orginal body mount cushions, was it a rubber or wood cushion. When i got my car it was just a body so i had to find a frame. There are the 6 mounts which sit on top and also on the side of the frame. Then there is the area where the rear body set's on the frame rail. I can problem uses some rubber belting but I would like to know what the factory used and is there anyone who makes a kit to mount the body back on the frame. Pic's of what you used would be best then I can decide what to use on mine. Hey Thanks Guys for any help you can give.

2. Hello I forget to ask just how thick were the Mounts too, I have no idea how far the body set's off of the frame. I bolted the front inner fender to the frame and it looks like my body is about 5/8 of an inch off from bolting up to the the inner fenders. I realize I can set it to what ever and then make everything line up but I would like to know just how far off the frame it all set.

3. I think this is what you are refering to...hope they show up. They measure about 7/16 thick, and they went into a dime size hole on the bottom of that body support, which as you can see, usually rusted out. A guy named Dexter Bennet reproduce them many years back...Dexter, I believe, is no longer with us. Forgot to mention...yes, you can do your mounts which ever works best...these are what they looked like but you can make something else work just as well . The thick ones usually rested on the X-member. The mounts on the side of the frame DID NOT use these types...they were less than 1/4 " thick, and just pieces of belting with some thread plys in them. g-willys

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 7, 2015
    38 2 DR Sedan and 3day like this.
  4. 41GASSER

41GASSER

I have a couple original steel body mounts if you need some. My Willys is nearly done and they are not needed. They are the mounts that are at either the A or B pillar. Let me know if interested. The rubber strips that lay on the frame can be purchased from Bob Drake he sells shok-shims and shok-liners that can be stacked and key together for a variety of thickness. I used them and was very pleased. Dave

5. Hey G-Willys, yes now I know what was under the floor mounts on the X-member so that will help me out there. And 41GASSER, I will look into what Bob Drake show and see what those mounts are all about. Is there any of you other Willy's guys, would like to see what you used. I am getting close to putting the body on and need to figure out what to use. Thanks Guys

6. I looked at the Bob Drake stuff, I think that's what I will go with, any other Willy's guys have anything to offer, just curious, would like to see just what everyone is using.

7. My 37 still has the original mounts in place as the body has never been off the frame. I can take some pics if you want. JW

8. Hey JW, that would be great, that is what I want to see just what the Factory Mounts are, can I add, just make sure they are well light pic's so I can see. There are so many guys put pic's on here and you can't make out what the picture is even of. Thank You, that would be so awesome of you. Tony

9. Ok I will get onto it tonight (my time) and post them up, happy to help:D JW

10. speedbump

speedbump

38 2dr hi , i believe the mounts shown in photos from g willys are for the floor area and i think there shown up side down. the opening area of the cone goes to the bottom of the floor and the 1/4 hole area is used on the frame side with the thin rubber washer. this way you can tighten down the floor from above. there is a large space between the floor and the frame, thats the reason for the cone shape body mounts. the side body mounts are welded to the floor with a box style mount. only a thin rubber pad is used between boxed body mount and outside frame mounts the 6 you were talking about.

11. Here we go, hope these are what you are after. Was thinking that the 37 floor is a bit different than the 38.
    These are from the right hand side.
    1st, front mount. JW
    [​IMG]

38 2 DR Sedan likes this.
  12. Inner mount by G-box. JW
    [​IMG]

13. This one is mid body. The pads are 1/4-5/16'' thick. JW[​IMG]

14. this is on the rear running board support. JW[​IMG]

15. last one, this is by the front of the rear spring. Hope they help and if you need more or better pics just ask. JW:D
    [​IMG]

16. Hey JW, Totally awesome, just what I wanted to see with your picture's and G-willy's picture I have all that I was after now I can get my body set where it needs to be and rebuild my floors. Again HAMB's came across This Site Is Where it is at, ask and you shall receive!!!!

26 T Ford RPU likes this.
  17. MiSo

MiSo
    from Sweden

Hi 38 2 Dr Sedan!
    I have the original washers removed. They are about 6.3 mm thick. See atached picture. I don't really know what material they are made from. I replaced them with new rubber washers instead.
    20150523_181614 crop.jpg
    /Mike

18. That would be 1/4 inch. They are made of reinforced rubber like a tire sidewall, which is what I would try and use. JW