Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features "Snoopy" Model A Hot Rod Survivor

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Denns1989, Sep 8, 2014.

1. Hagerty Insurance has an appraiser service that may be of some help or could lead you in the right direction--

Denns1989 likes this.
  2. I will look into that thanks !

3. ROADSTER1927

ROADSTER1927

I have hagerty and you need to have an agreed value type coverage. When I did my roadster insurance, I filled out a multi paged work sheet on what parts were on it and what it would take to replace them and apoximate price. If you start adding up parts and labor, especially the history behind your car it is quite valuable! Do not sell yourself short on value! Great job, Gary

Denns1989 likes this.
  4. Thanks for the reply's here & I did get a couple pm's (thought I might get more, but the couple I got were helpful) I have agreed value coverage on the car right now, but it was a value that I thought was close for a car that I just pulled out of a 40+ year slumber that needed a pile of TLC, now that the TLC has been done & it's functional etc. etc. I wanted to update my agreed value, just was looking for some prices so I would know if I was thinking straight at all, I don't think local appraisor's will have enough comparisons to give me an idea... But I will contact my insurance & see what they will suggest as to coming up with a value, makes sense as suggested, what would it cost to replace ? guess it's a 2 step value, cost of the physcal car & the historical value ? Never thought of it that way, but makes sense... It was easier with my MG's, spend 15 minutes on the internet, find similiar cars in similiar condition & the value is obvious... with Snewp's not so easy !!

5. Don't get too carried away with insurance.
    Remember with insurance the company is betting you don't have an accident;
    you are betting you do.
    You will drive Snoopy much more carefully than the average guy drives his
    refrigerator appliance on wheels.
    Just my $.02.

Denns1989 and volvobrynk like this.
  6. The Brown Sound

The Brown Sound
    from Maryland

You can drive as carefully as you want, but it won't matter when that teenager talking on the phone makes a left turn in front of you.

i.rant and Denns1989 like this.
  7. I see both points, this is why I asked for some thoughts on the matter, I have never had to insure something as "complex" as a "time bandit" hot rod :) I now realize three "value ranges" that are possible...

1) actual replacement cost - when you think of it, easily a staggering number, at least for a cheap bastard such as myself :)
    2) what the car "could" sell for... might hit in the range of the above value ( or not) depending on the situation...
    3) what I have invested in the car, which includes puchase cost, taxes & parts (no labor cost)

Right now I'm leaning towards option 3 as I have a young daughter to raise & not unlimited funds to throw at an insurance premium, when I first asked I never even thought about the values possible in option 1 & 2 - I was just expecting confirmation that what I have in option 3 was reasonable - now realize that it is ! - makes sense just never thought of it that way.
    Thanks again all for the advice.

volvobrynk likes this.
  8. The Brown Sound

The Brown Sound
    from Maryland

Yeah, thankfully I've only had to deal with insurance once ever when I wrecked my old Triumph chopper last year. I had it underinsured (well, it was insured what I paid for it) and because of that, and the extent of the damage, it was totaled. Anyway, long story short if I had to do it over again, I'd try to calculate the replacement value of any parts of value, and add that onto the purchase price (the "rebuild cost"), if that makes sense...

All this to say, I don't think #3 is a bad option at all. And of course, hopefully it will never be an issue.

9. Jer,
    I don't want to sound cold hearted, but in the real world life is harsh.
    You are the only one who has a value on sentimental interest in your car.
    This is something you can't insure. I've been up against insurance
    costs and old cars my whole life. What anyone thinks your car is worth dosen't matter.
    What matters is how much you can replace it for. You can't replace
    history and sentiment, but you can replace a car. Again in the real world
    What you think your car is worth dosen't matter. What somebody will pay
    for it does. Apprasers tend to inflate values, especially those that work
    for insurance companies. Insurance is a cold business.
    Try to leave out sentimentality and figure what your car is worth on
    the market by looking for what the type of car is selling for.
    Insure it for a little more than you think you can get for it, if you can afford it.
    Remember for the most part, yours is a pleasure car. you will be driving only
    occasionally in non-stress situations.
    I will caution you that if you plan to drive your car as a "regular" car,
    ( I commuted in my '31 50 miles a day for about 2 years), make sure
    you don't get "ocasional show use" coverage.
    Nobody will believe you were driving to a show at 7:30 AM on a Tuesday!
    For a refferance point,
    I have 3 cars on collector insurance.
    My cars stated values are approx, $12,000 each.
    I wouldn't say that I could replace my '31 for $12,000.
    But I gamble the differance by the fact that I only am driving it 1/3
    of the time. For 3 cars I pay about $375 per year total.
    Hope I have helped a little.
    Tony

Denns1989 likes this.
  10. Oh by the way,
    My '31 has been on the road more than 11 years.
    At least 45,000 miles, and no accidents.
    And yes i drive it all the time!

Denns1989 likes this.
  11. Appreciated Tony, thanks.

Had Snewps up to 70 mph today, handled well, but that short wheel base makes for a "lively" ride ha ha, what a blast, think I will tackle valve adjustment on friday, probably due time, plus I want to skin my knuckles and swear a bit !!

12. The doorbell just rang, a guy who lives around the corner said he seen my car in the driveway yesterday & almost crashed his truck gawkin at it, then asked if it was for sale, I replied "no sorry" he replied "damn ! Had to ask"... that was funny.

volvobrynk likes this.
  13. Stuff like that is gonna happen!
    I will also tell you, from experience, guys
    will stop you and tell you they have parts
    or even cars like yours for sale.
    It pays sometimes to hear what they have.
    I have rounded up tons of old Ford parts just this way.
    If you want it to like I did, the car becomes your calling card!
    And your credibility improves greatly when you can
    talk about what works for you.
    Guys also will ask if you have parts for sale.
    This has been a little side business for me for years!
    And you meet some really great people, who see the
    world like you do!
    More stuff happening because you do the right thing!
    Keep driving!

volvobrynk likes this.
  14. For sure, the other day I was stopped to let some people pass in a parking lot, this older guy walks up smiling and asks if that's a "later flathead", I replied yes, its a 49, 49 - 53 are the last generation from what I understand, he goes on to say he has set up the valves on them many many times years ago, still has all the tools in his garage - cars were stopped behind me, had to move along, hope I meet up with him again ! As I pulled away he smiled and shook his head.

volvobrynk likes this.
  15. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Yeah the guys that only Go to shows or worse trailer them every where are missing a ton.

I think I hear "is that a 46? I had one....." From some older guy every time I go to the grocery store, car wash or wherever. Plenty of fun stories that give a good idea of what it must have been like to have one decades ago

volvobrynk and Denns1989 like this.
  16. sonic03bluegt

sonic03bluegt
    from sc

Love the build! Glad to see you didn't go and try to reinvent the wheel on the car. Looked great then and still does. Timeless!

17. Austinrod

Austinrod
    from Austin

Attention getter for shure

18. Good News: No Broken Valve Springs (Didn't suspect as it was running ok)

Bad News: No one before me snuck adjustable lifters in there... looks like I have the original "early 49 style" ? Have to verify this morning, I drove Snewp's down to the shop last night, changed the rear axle & tranny oil (no parts in the tranny oil this time :) & gave it a grease job while motor cooled down, then I pulled the intake, by then it was about 11:30, time for sleep.

Not as sludgy as I thought for a motor that hasn't been opened up since the early 60's !
    20150521_230349.jpg 20150521_230307.jpg

So I guess I will measure what the valve clearances are to see if they are close or right out to lunch, hopefully it behaves enough for me to get this season out of it & then I will visit again next winter when I don't care if the car is laid up while the motor is apart to set valve clearance.. and of course the list of "might as well while I'm in there's"...

Until then - Drive !!

19. mrspeedyt

mrspeedyt

The 'time machine'. i'm sure somebody else said it before ... worth saying again.

20. The guys over at the Ford Barn shared some advice (again thankfully) it was hard to tell if I have the "early" style or not but when I went to check the gap the feeler gauge wouldn't fit for the "later" tolerances (bigger) I checked all valves using the high end of the tolerance ( 16 for exhaust & 12 for intake) as recommended in the Vanpelt link for the "early" & none were to sloppy, I did get a "rub" on all, some a little tighter than others but nothing alarming - Engine runs better now though... guess that 40+ year old intake gasket was bypassing a little :)... when I removed the intake bolts they were not very tight, so it makes sense.

Good enough for now - as Tony would say "Drive Man DRIVE !!"

21. Whereabouts in Ontario are you? I'd love to be able to see that car in person some day. Bring it down for the Jalopy Jam Up in August, it would be a hit.

22. 55Hydramatic

55Hydramatic

This car and story is just awesome! It's so neat to bring a car that has been sitting for that long back to life and to let the people who never saw or even think they would ever see it live again, see it happen and go for a ride in it!

23. I'm in the "Soo" (Sault Ste. Marie) actually thinking about the Jalopy Jamb Up, only 40 minutes from my Aunt & Uncle's place... looks like a fun gathering :)
    And if you (or anyone) is passin thru my area, drop me a PM - would love to share the car with ya !

Last edited: May 24, 2015
  24. Well car is running much better with new intake gasket, very "predictable" now, also the exhaust tips have a nice brown color inside them now - usually the sign of a motor in tune isn't it ?

2 very important girls in my life were trying Snewpee out recently - My wife took it for a spin (hadn't drove standard in almost 2 years) - gave Snewp's his first "burn out" in the gravel parking lot when she took off but did just fine :) Commenting "wow this thing is "peppy" "

20150522_193818.jpg

Then my 17 month old daughter want's to sit in Snewp's every time she see's it & say's "vroom vroom" while pointing, maybe I have a little hot rodder in the making !

20150522_194805.jpg

This is the fun stuff !!

WC145, Baumi, Woogeroo and 8 others like this.
  25. ROADSTER1927

ROADSTER1927

You are doing great on all counts! Keep it up, Gary;)

26. greaser

greaser

Beautiful family.... you ARE a lucky man!

27. Mike Colemire

Mike Colemire

Very lucky man, also you have done a great job on this car. The things you've done for the people that were involved with this car is awesome. Not to many people anymore that have the consideration you have. You are a great guy you should be proud.

28. jocktherock

jocktherock
    from Sweden

You are my PRESIDENT Gary.....

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

29. jocktherock

jocktherock
    from Sweden

I mean Jer (Denns1989) ,sorry Gary.....

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

Denns1989 likes this.
  30. Aww poor Gary ! Ha ha

volvobrynk likes this.