Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods C4 transmission guys I need help again.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by J.D., May 22, 2015.

1. J.D.

J.D.
    from Clovis, CA

I am trying to hook up original style transmission lines from my 74 C4 to my radiator cooler. Issue I'm running into is the cooler ports on the transmission appear to be 1/2 straight cut (maybe 1/2 - 20) female threads and the lines are 1/2 double flare male threads. I assume there is a fitting or adapter that goes between just like the radiator has but I can not find anything. I have searched Mustang and Bronco parts suppliers with no luck, NAPA just laughed at me, all I can find are fittings to 1/2 to AN6 adapters.

Any ideas or solutions?

Last edited: May 22, 2015
  2. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

Hi JD.The salvage yard is your friend.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

3. hw1403_3.230.jpg I think the case is threaded for 1/4 pipe STRAIGHT thread. You can get fittings that screw in and have an o-ring and jam nut. It is POSSIBLE to use 1/4 NPT but not a great idea.

4. J.D.

J.D.
    from Clovis, CA

I originally purchased one of those but the threads are way too small, maybe they're for an earlier C4? That's pretty much what I need but 1/2 inch to 1/2 inch.

5. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Do you have a tranny shop close by sure they would have one.

6. czuch az

czuch az

1) Tranny shop.
    2) Real hardware store.
    Suggest both with the old guy who wears his glasses down his nose and calls you "Sonny".

7. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

Got my fittings at ACE Hardware ;)

8. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Heed the advice of CHoffman! If you tap the holes to 1/4" pipe, (even with Teflon paste/tape) you are flirting with putting a crack in the case!
    Many 'street rodders' brought cars in with 350 TH trannys, with 1/4" pipe fittings for a remote cooler.
    Weld the case? No thanks... I'd replace the case, and clutches and o'haul kit as needed.

9. J.D.

J.D.
    from Clovis, CA

Tom's Bronco Parts just called me back and say they found what I need and are mailing them out to me on Tuesday. Hopefully they understand what I need and the part I need shows up.

Was the fitting at Ace 1/2 inch straight pipe thread to 1/2 double flare?

10. 1/4" straight pipe thread measures about .025" larger than 1/2" bolt thread. I don't think you have anything that is 1/2". Your flare should be for 5/16 tubing and the threads on the flare fitting measure about .010 smaller than 1/2" bolt.

11. What you need is this. The question is, are the threads in the transmission NPT or straight pipe. If straight, you need a gasket as the threads won't seal tightly. The fitting will also have to be straight pipe.
    440280-131280.jpg 1/4 male pipe to 5/16 inverted flare. Both will measyre about 1/2"

12. J.D.

J.D.
    from Clovis, CA

The hose barb that I checked to see if it would thread into the transmission will start to thead into a 1/2 - 20 nut just like it does into the transmission. That is we're I'm getting 1/2 from, so you're probably correct.

13. Fittings and bolts are a great source of confusion and frustration. There are hundreds of combinations that will "ALMOST" work, and in fact can be forced together. Unfortunately, they will always leak. And don't even think of adding metric crap to the equation.

38mag likes this.
  14. J.D.

J.D.
    from Clovis, CA

That being said I did try this fitting and it was way to small for the transmission but fit the line.

15. You may have gotten one with 1/8 male pipe threads (about 3/8"+.020).

16. J.D.

J.D.
    from Clovis, CA

That's what I'm hoping... Unfortunately CJ Pony Parts doesn't list the thread sizes so I can't check.

17. Johnboy34

Johnboy34
    from Seattle,Wa

These are in a C4 from a 70 something Maveric, not too early. looks like what choffman41 showed you.

20150522_203926.jpeg 20150522_203941.jpeg

18. J.D.

J.D.
    from Clovis, CA

Finally have a quick update. Tom's Bronco Parts sent me the incorrect part (it was just like CJ Pony's part) looks like it was 1/8 pipe thread. After searching some local hardware stores I finally found a 1/4 npt by 5/16 inverted flair fitting like pictured above and it seems to work. I am sure it is not straight thread but the transmission had barb fittings installed before to a remote transmission cooler and I am sure those where not straight thread either so I am going to give them a shot. I started it up and went through the gears and no initial leaks but my carb is acting up and running way rich so I couldn't test it for as long as I would have liked to.

Thank you Choffman41 for helping me sort out the difference in threads and sizes. I would have never figured this out without your help!

19. Glad to hear you're up and running!

J.D. likes this.