Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical model A radiator

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by chop cut drive, May 20, 2015.

1. chop cut drive

chop cut drive
    from central pa

Hey fellow hamb'ers. i'm building a 31 ford pick-up from ground up, i jumped the gun an bought a aluminum radiator an now its to tall for my set-up. I dont want to buy another one do to the fact the money tree hates buying the same crap twice. I could use some help with ideas to make it work. Pics would help alot .

2. evintho

evintho

A tape measure would work wonders in this situation.

3. chop cut drive

chop cut drive
    from central pa

yes it would but as u may know things dont always go as planned from the beging, but evolve as you get further into the build. I z'd the frame an channeled the body more than i had originally planed.

4. Barn Find

Barn Find
    from Missouri

I love MacGyver-ing stuff that I already have, but I think it always costs more time and money than just buying the right parts. I hate that this is true. I'd love to be proven wrong.

5. Sadly, you won't be.

6. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

You can notch the front cross member and gain an inch or so.. If you notch it more and let the radiator sit flat on the cross member, you can gain more and then use the weld on front spring mount instead of the over the cross member U-bolts... That should get you enough room...

7. Bam.inc

Bam.inc
    from KS

Maybe someone on here wants to trade if yours is not returnable. 31 stock? 4banger? Brand? Pictures?
    Someone has a cutdown & wants yours for their next project

8. jkeesey

jkeesey

I've got an original 30 that needs to be resoldered at the top tank anyhow so it would have to come apart.

9. chop cut drive

chop cut drive
    from central pa

Unfortunately it is not returnable I bought it from a guy at a swap meet some time back. I'm going to see a radiator guy today to see what we can do. I think I'm going to have to get old tanks an rebuild one so I'll be messageing you guys if that's my only choice. Thanks for helping and giving me an option.

10. chop cut drive

chop cut drive
    from central pa

Here you go. What do you all think of me making a kicka$$ bracket an putting it in front of cross member? Thoughts.

11. Cut the bottom out of the grill shell and let it hang down below. LOL

I can't see what you got so I can't give you any solid advice. maybe a radiator shop can help you out. Or maybe you could tell us too tall or too wide?

12. Mr cheater

Mr cheater

Can you mount it in front of the crossmember like this ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1432251291.346896.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1432251325.351168.jpg

13. chop cut drive

chop cut drive
    from central pa

Yes it's to tall 28 in high. About 7in to tall

14. chop cut drive

chop cut drive
    from central pa

Mr cheater that's what I was thinking. Just not sure how it will look or if bottom hoses will be in a bad place

15. chop cut drive

chop cut drive
    from central pa

The problem is that aluminum is so hard to fix most of them are welded an can't be fixed without new tanks. I called a radiator shop an the owner told me it would be cheaper to buy a new one. Cost to recore is 65 dollars an hour plus core an it takes about 4 hours.