Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical xj6 jaguar intermediate steering shaft spline size question

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by big hugh ness, May 20, 2015.

1. Folks, I am having a bit of strife trying to work out the spline size of the original jag intermediate shaft. I have the bottom one worked out. it is 48 3/4 spline, but it is the top spline I can't seem to get right. I thought it was a 36 5/8 spline, but I just bought a flaming river uni to slot over it and it doesn't fit. It is awful close, but not quite close enough. The flaming river uni is 36 5/8 and is too small. I am wondering whether the jag is something like an 11/16ths? Can anyone confirm. The only other thing it might be is there could be a burr in the new uni, but doesn't appear to be anything wrong with it.
    I can slip the jag uni over the original shaft uni no problems, so the intermediate shaft seems okay.

[​IMG]

It is the top shaft I need confirmation on. Thanks guys. I took out a caliper and measured it and I am damned certain it is 5/8 od. It is possible I could be wrong...

2. BJR

BJR

Could it be metric?

3. It is possible, but the lower shaft slots into my 48 spline 3/4 uni like a knife through butter. But, you know, these British guys do funny things from time to time...

4. offroadad

offroadad

I am useing Jag front end in a 49 chevy truck, and recently did the steering,I had a bunch of steering u joints and found one the same size as the Jag . I put the peice that goes on the steering box together with another half of a u joint and then just used 3/4' shaft ,It was so simple I surprised myself and works perfect with out the odd jag u joint at the box

5. Yes, I was going to do much the same with piece of 3/4 DD bar and have two unis either end, but I have soft mounted the jag front to my truck and engineer has told me he wants that jag shaft on there. I have since swapped it for a 95 Mazda Bravo/ Ford Courier intermediate shaft which has a flexible aspect to it but looks much nicer than the jag joint., and the engineer is happy with it (It has the same spline that the upper jag joint has that is why I didn't mention it- just to make my question less complex), but I just don't know what sized uni fits it.

6. You know, it COULD be. The more I think about how close it fits to a 5/8, I am thinking it must be a 17mm fitting.
    Also, I have substituted the jag intermediate shaft for a 1995 Mazda Bravo unit, and one would think that would definitely be metric. They both fir the same universal perfectly, which makes me think you might be on the right track.

7. Jag used a 'mix' of sizes all over these cars, some metric, some standard, so it's extremely likely that's a metric size.

They had finally ditched the Whitworth threads by then though.... :rolleyes:

8. Slipped a caliper across it and I reckon it is definitely not 5/8. If anything could be 17mm, but not even sure of that. If anything I would say its 21/32??? or 16.5mm?

Attached Files:

9. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

I was of the belief that they were 3/4" 48 and 5/8" 36. My C4 R&P is 17DD, manufacturers seem to be mixing and matching Imperial with metric these days, Could I suggest cleaning the splines with a wire brush to remove the crud, this may be stopping the splines from engaging and a simple fix? I know my 17DD is damn awkward to line up but once on it's perfect.

10. I agree. That was what I thought it was. I rang Rocket Industries and they said just bring the thing down and they will match the thread up with something off the shelf. The only thing is, i have noticed the Flaming river has sharp looking teeth compared to some Borgeson ones I have here. I don't know whether that has anything to do with it. Seems weird. It would fit it I bashed it on. :) Not a desirable thing to do, tho.

11. ask the guys on the jaguar social club. sure glad i saved all the steering shaft when i cut my jaguar stuff out!

12. I justs swapped a SII rack into my SI and swapped over the intermediate shaft with it as the SII is longer and had no problem in having it mate up with my original SI upper column. Both have the 5/8'' 36 spline fitting.

Last edited: May 26, 2015
  13. Thanks, mate. Another guy from a different forum confirmed same thing. We can't all be going mad. Heheh.
    Much obliged to everyone. Thanks once more.