Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Help ID this cylinder head

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by MrFalcon62, May 20, 2015.

1. MrFalcon62

MrFalcon62

Helped a buddy pick up a trailer for his WWII Ford GPW. And the guy had this cylinder head just laying around. Looks pretty interesting. Just wanted someone to tell me what it's from. ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1432158108.690640.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1432158124.714729.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1432158139.455605.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1432158152.628510.jpg

2. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

it comes from the one valve per cylinder 1924 Henway. o_O

3. F&J

F&J

Guesses OK?

looks like an F head old Jeep.

F is part valve in head motor, part valve in block motor (half flathead, half overhead)

4. MrFalcon62

MrFalcon62

Me: What's a Henway?

You: about 5 pounds!

Ba-Bump-Shish!

5. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

It's an 'F' head, yes.
    I think that's an International cover, plus the head bolts' number and arrangement... late '30s to late '40s.

6. F&J

F&J

I still think it's a Jeep. I went looking for a pic...because....I did rings on one about 10 years ago, but I can't remember WTH it looked like :( :)

[​IMG]

7. F&J

F&J

.....and the fact that it was at a place with a Jeep trailer...he,he

8. MrFalcon62

MrFalcon62

Thanks! That makes sense. I just thought the one valve in head and one in block was unusual

9. tractorguy

tractorguy

That is an F head Jeep engine which replaced the flathead Jeep engine in 1953. I have several if you need one just for fun.

10. squirrel

squirrel

It is unusual. Most car makers redesigned the whole engine when they started messing with overhead valves. Willys was too cheap.

MrFalcon62 likes this.
  11. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

Worked on a few of those when I was a Motor Pool mechanic. Always wondered if you could hop on up and run it in a Bonneville car. How would it do? As it happened I never drank enough beer to decide to find out.

MrFalcon62 likes this.
  12. Actually I did hop one up when I was in the service and put it in a M-38A1 for a god buddy. With a little attention to the internal details Those engines will run pretty good.

13. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

Want to put one in a blue roadster?

14. sunbeam

sunbeam

It's got the right amount of head bolts to be a JEEP

15. Barn Find

Barn Find
    from Missouri

That's why the hood got tall on the flat fender CJ3s. They had to make room for the carburetor and air cleaner to sit on top of the head.
    [​IMG]

16. Barn Find

Barn Find
    from Missouri

The earlier CJ3s looked more like the Cj2. If you look long enough, you will find early hoods with a hole cut in them, so they could run the F-head motor. The F head also ended up in pickups, wagons, Forward Control truck-just about everything Jeep built.

[​IMG]

17. pdq67

pdq67

My F-I-L gave me a '52 Willy's Aero Eagle 2-Dr. hard-top that had a "F-head" straight 6-banger in it. Sucker ran good..

My 1st '52 Willys Aero Eagle H/T I got in HS or just after had a flathead straight 6-banger in it. I bought the complete car for $18 from a female classmate of mine's Dad. He got rid of it because the crank was ground .040" and back then we couldn't buy .040" bearings so it was in the trunk and was basically scrap iron.

A Buddy of mine and I installed a '51, 232" Stude V-8, 3-speed stick O/D in the Willys. It fit like stock after we moved the cross member from the forward 6-banger engine position back to the 4-banger position. O/D tranny's were the same except for the front "Yokes" and we just switched them.

I wished I had both of them now because they were good cars by me..

One last thing here is that I am fascinated by the Jeep Tornado sohc 6-banger mail truck engine that only has 6 lobes on the cam... Interesting to say the least.. And from what I read, the little odd-ball engine was a very good AND economical low to medium speed engine.. Certainly was a long stroke sucker though..

pdq67

Hnstray likes this.
  18. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

This might be a stupid question, but how far off is this from being ford 4 banger adaptable? Or is it better to adapt the whole engine?

And if he considered it junk, try if it can be had for cheap and mate to a non-manifold-in-head-setup.
    I saw some wacky pics of a small kadett head that was milled on the side, and had an double weber flang welded on the head.
    If a guy from Germany can, so can you!!

19. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

That engine was pretty much the same Willys flathead four that had been in Willys cars since 33 or so. Sometime around WW2 they moved one head bolt hole. Then later adapted the F head to the existing block casting. It's a 134 cid long stroke small bore engine. As such I doubt the bore spacing is close to a Ford four. I don't know why you couldn't mill off the intake and weld or bolt on something better. Don't know if anyone ever did.

volvobrynk likes this.
  20. I agree with the Willys assessment. I couldn't hand out a year on it but it does appear to be a Willys F head to me.

@RichFox ,
    There were as I am sure that you are aware some overhead valve flathead V-8 conversions that were an F head configuration leaving the exhaust in the block and moving the intake to the head. I couldn't come up with numbers for sure but I know that while not as famous as the Ardun setup that they were probably more common.

volvobrynk likes this.
  21. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

bville0757.jpg Yes the Reily two port for the Model A-B comes to mind as does the Smith Jiggler for V8-60 motors. Years ago I had an F head conversion for a Fergusen Tractor motor as used in some Midgets. Even today you can buy a new Eddgy "F" head conversion for Chrysler Spitfire six cylinder motors. Why I'm not sure. But they are there.

Last edited: May 21, 2015
    volvobrynk likes this.
  22. hotrodjeep

hotrodjeep
    from Tama, Iowa

Just throwing in on this even though its been nailed down.
    Jeep/Willys F-Head. I have a few 4 and 6 versions. I also have a few speed ideas including some machine work and side draft carbs......

The F-haead 134 is like 20 HP over the standard Flathead 134.

Jeff

volvobrynk likes this.
  23. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

Rich_1.JPG Willys 004.JPG These are pictures of a stock flathead manifold that I turned upside down and opened up the exhaust hot spot to allow mounting a larger carburetor or two carbs. Also a side cover I made for the same engine. The intake was not my idea. But I thought it was a very good idea.

volvobrynk likes this.
  24. I don't have any pics handy but I believe that the Iskandarian conversion was an f head configuration. Now that is a seldom photographed car and I always wondered why?

volvobrynk likes this.
  25. sunbeam

sunbeam

There isn't to many choices when it comes stock to F heads Jeep. 27-29 Hudson and Rolls up to 1959 Harley and Indian also used F heads.

26. Actually Henderson also used an F head config. But Henderson became Indian so I guess Indian covers that. ;)

I don't think that the head in question would fit any of those though. LOL

Tell what this thread has done for me now I am thinking about finding a flatty and trying to manufacture a pair of heads. damn it.

Last edited: May 21, 2015
    MrFalcon62 likes this.
  27. Hell, look at the end of it. It's a Willys large camel hump head. Pretty rare! :)

49ratfink likes this.
  28. Barn Find

Barn Find
    from Missouri

I've seen a side draft carb used to squeeze an F-head under a CJ2 hood.

We settled for a Kaiser Supersonic head on Dad's '47. It runs like a stump-pulling sewing machine.
    [​IMG]

hotrodjeep likes this.
  29. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

I believe you are right about the Isky Ford heads. I don't know the brand. Something long gone by now. I am sure that if you look at the Bill Smith museum site, you will see many versions of F head conversions. Along with tow of my old Plymouth bangers. One flathead and one OHV. No F head

30. They were Isky brand heads I am pretty sure. Even had embossed Iskanderian embossed on the rocker covers. I remember stories about discussions if they should be F heads or full on valve in head conversions is the only reason I say that. But even the stories are a little vague to me at this point, too much fun between then and now I guess.

It is not an American engine I am sure but I have seen a horizontally opposed engine that was an F head. I wish I could remember where I saw it then I could have some idea what it was maybe. I think I saw it in an ?/X car @ B Ville maybe or photos of one.