Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage AZ Route 66 Attractions in my Wagon

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by cac646, May 19, 2015.

1. cac646

cac646

I had a few days off work last week so I took the family out to see some of Arizona's Route 66 attractions along with a few of the National parks. I'm finally getting some confidence in driving my car long distances (especially with the family - wife, 4 year old and dog) so we took the wagon. I put over 1200 miles on the car over 5 days touring some spectacular Arizona scenery. We changed over 20,000' in elevation on the trip and varied temperature between 95 and 28! I was not prepared for snow in Flagstaff in May!!!!. Driving a vintage car certainly has some stress involved but also a lot of fun. We had a great time despite the cold, the kid puking in the car in the middle of the freeway in Phoenix and the dog generally hating the car (not too sure why he LOVES my hot rod).

Sights Visited and in photos:
    - Pine/Strawberry
    - Winslow standing on the corner
    - Jackrabbit Trading Post
    - Wig Wam Hotel in Holbrook (We actually stayed the night, pretty neat place for the kid but not very glamorous accommodations)
    - Petrified Forest
    - Meteor Crater
    - Grand Canyon
    - Bedrock City
    - Oak Creek Canyon
    - Sedona

Attached Files:

2. surfcaliforniasurf

surfcaliforniasurf

Rad trip! Bitchin wagon it looks very familiar. My family (wife, 3 year old, 6 year old) is getting ready to spend 7 weeks driving around the country in our wagon. You can't beat a good old fashion American road trip! Keep driving that beautiful wagon!

3. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

Cool to see your road trip pics. I'll be hitting 66 in my shoebox in a few months ... Getting me excited.

4. Great pix, great car, great trip! It doesn't get much better than that. I plan on doing the same thing with the wife in my '59 El Camino later this year. If the kids wanna come along, they can drive their own car.:) My youngest graduated from ASU last year.

5. cac646

cac646

hey surfcaliforniasuf, does your car spit out gas from the filler when it's real full or on hard right hand turns? I get a pretty strong gas smell, leaking right out of the cap. Everything is tight with a new cap.

6. Ralph

Ralph

Great photos! an excellent way to "break it in" so you won't worry about driving it places. I love that car!
    Is there any other tank vent other than the cap?

7. belair

belair

Just got back from the Grand Canyon, stayed at the Wig Wam, it was blast.

8. You didnt go to Oatman????

9. cac646

cac646

I had to go to Kingman for work a couple times last year so we had already been to Oatman, Hackberry, Peach Springs etc. The road to Oatman is definitely worth the trip!

prewarcars4me likes this.
  10. Yes it is. Can you imagine making that trip in an old jalopy. No creature comforts, no cell phone if you broke down, no gps. Hoping as you go around each corner, you will make it to the town.

11. brad2v

brad2v

Awesome trip. Thanks for sharing. Cool wagon

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

12. Wooster

Wooster
    from Soso, MS

To me AZ is one of the most scenic states. Six or seven years ago I did a travel nurse assignment in Ganado, AZ on the Navajo Rez and have driven across the Rez on a two lane highway north of I40 to the Grand Canyon several times. Very scenic drive. And Sedona is one of my favorites. Nice wagon!

13. Wooster

Wooster
    from Soso, MS

To me AZ is one of the most scenic states. Six or seven years ago I did a travel nurse assignment in Ganado, AZ on the Navajo Rez and have driven across the Rez on a two lane highway north of I40 to the Grand Canyon several times. Very scenic drive. And Sedona is one of my favorites. Nice wagon!

clunkerbob likes this.
  14. Model T1

Model T1

Nice wagon and some great photos. Glad you enjoyed the trip. Kids puking and dogs pooping is normal. You're lucky he didn't poop on your seats. That was some pretty good weather changes.

15. 1940Willys

1940Willys

Nice looking Golden! Nice looking ride! Thanx for sharing!

16. caton462

caton462

Stayed in the wigwams twice the past two weeks. Quietest rooms I ever stayed in. Can't wait to take the trip again.

17. surfcaliforniasurf

surfcaliforniasurf

No never had a problem. And I fill that thing to within an inch of the top of filler tube. I wonder if you have a crack in that overflow tube that comes up from the bottom?

18. clunkerbob

clunkerbob
    from Arizona

I live in Kingman and that patch of 66 going up the narrow winding grade to Oatman makes you feel respect for the old timers with a family who drove out to CA in a 60 horsepower car in 110 degree heat .