Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Cheapo signal switch

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jimv, Jan 30, 2015.

1. Jimv

Jimv

I have one of those cheapo tin turn signal switches in my 41'( the one with the green light on the tip) and the Left rear brake light won't work, this is the second time I've run into this problem!! I bought this car with it & the first one was new & I returned it.
    Someone said theres a wiring change or a jumper I can add to remedy this. can anyone help me with it?
    JimV
    PS I don't want to invest anything in this car, I'm flipping it

Fast Bill likes this.
  2. Lobucrod

Lobucrod
    Alliance Vendor
    from Texas

So is the left rear turn signal working? If so then the signal switch is bad. If not then you have a wiring problem between the switch and the tail light or a bad bulb or possibly a bad ground.

3. derpr

derpr

Try changing the bulb.

4. tinsled

tinsled

Most probably you have bad ground wire (or no wire, but corrosion/dirt btw. components), not necessarily related to the switch at all... First take apart & clean the the non working side, ground problem may be also on the working side, odd enough.

5. 50styleline

50styleline

On my 50 the taillight housing had to ground for it to work. Took me a bit to figure out all that needed was take out the housing and clean everything real good with a wire brush. Works fine now.

6. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I've got the same one in a box at home waiting for a project to progress far enough to install it. I'll have to look at the instructions to make sure that it has provisions for brake lights. When I bought it I figured I would need separate turn lights on the rear for it.

7. big57daddy

big57daddy

I have the same problem as Jimv - except I get either the right or the left brake light to work, but not both. I checked both bulbs, attached ground wires to both lights (just in case) and cleaned the sockets and connections. It seems like the right brake light works after I use the right turn signal, and the left brake light works after I use the left turn signal.

Is there a 'magic' jumper for these switches (like Jimv suggested)? Or are these cheapo switches just that - cheap and not to be used?

thanks, Ray

8. KoolKat-57

KoolKat-57
    from Dublin, OH

It could be that after canceling the signal, the contacts for the brake lights are only making on the side that was flashing.
    Have someone watch the back of the car as you step on the brake, and move the signal lever.
    KK

9. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Pacific Industries ?

10. dorf

dorf
    from ohio

wireing diagram is wrong the orange wire is the culprit. if u will check u will see the front one is blinking instead of the rear .

11. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

WOW!! ^^^ That could help a lot of people.. I have one too, Thanks...

12. big57daddy

big57daddy

will do - thanks, KoolKat!

13. Even when a vendor gives a wiring diagram with colors, I'll still check with a VOM to make sure it's accurate before installing. That's saved me a considerable amount of time over the years.....

14. I have one as well, but its still in the box.
    Probably as crappy as the ogah horn I got from same shop.
    Good thread and good info, least if I do install it, I'll have the info to make it work.

15. 56premiere

56premiere
    from oregon

Crazy Steve has the idea, but seems most of us don't use it.

16. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

Yes, I too use my multi meter to check before installing...

17. 50styleline

50styleline

Just fixed mine today. LED bulbs all the way around. Rear lights worked as expected. Front lights wouldn't cooperate for a while. When I switched on one side the other would flash dimly. After messing with it for about an hour I went to O Reilly's and bought new bulbs and everything worked fine . It was the cheap ass made in China bulbs that I bought online.

18. Shaggy

Shaggy
    from Sultan, WA

Blinker fluid?

19. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

20. Throw it away and buy a Signal-Stat 900 (9000 ?). Can't get more old school and ugly but they are a quality piece.