Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Getting paint to stick to chrome

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Roothawg, May 18, 2015.

1. Roothawg

Roothawg

I have an old crusty windshield frame that was chromed back in the 80's. It looks like crap so I decided to paint it. I took most of the top layer of chrome off with a high speed and some roloc discs and painted it. It did not really not adhere very well. What should I have done different?

Should I etch the underlying plating with say phosphoric acid? Then prime and paint?

2. Root,try X.I.M. bonding primer,it works on ferrous and non ferrous metals and will be the ideal primer to use over old chrome,,then paint and it will adhere.

You can find it at any neighborhood store or big box that sells paint. HRP

dana barlow and Daddiojoe like this.
  3. boutlaw

boutlaw

I am certainly no expert and definitely not a painter, but when I painted my 66 Mustang in 2008, I decided to paint the rear bumper white to match the body color. All I did was sandblast the bumper, prime and paint. The paint is still on the bumper with no spots at all where the paint has chipped away. I have already blasted the rear bumper for my current Ranchero build to do the same thing. Not sure what went wrong with your windshield frame, but suspect that some of the chrome was still intact and the paint would not stick to the slick surface. I'm sure an expert on this board can give you the exact details.

4. toreadorxlt

toreadorxlt
    from Nashua, NH

yup, I painted a once flaking chrome grill shell, and all i did was blast it, epoxy prime and proceed as usual. no adhesion issues

5. Roothawg

Roothawg

The problem is the glass is still in it and I have already installed a new rubber seal.

Danny, is it in a spray can or brush on or what? Can I paint over it with a single stage polyurethane?

6. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

shop for X.I.M. - UMA Primer Sealer (urethane modified acrylic) at: thepaintstore.com

7. GEEZZER

GEEZZER

PPG DP 40/401

8. Bill Rinaldi

Bill Rinaldi

Bottom line is COMPLETELY sand the chrome, lift the rubber and even scuff there. So long as the chrome surface is scuffed/sanded and clean, any of the recommended etching primers will work. Prime it and shoot it. It'll work!! BILL RINALDI

9. Spray or brush on,it works! HRP

10. olds vroom

olds vroom

Rustoleum self etching primer will do the trick

JimSibley likes this.
  11. Roothawg

Roothawg

Thanks guys. I'll get some this weekend.

12. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'll assume you have access to a paint supplier/jobber. SEM Self-Etching primer. You only want coverage, no build. Anything can go on top of it without failure. I've done polished aluminum, anodized aluminum, chrome, you name it. I prefer to spray it on, wait 20-30min (temp should be considered) then coat it without sanding. I've seen things I did years ago and it's still holding up. About $18 at most paint jobbers and a little goes a long way. I know there's other brands but I like what has proven itself, and some products do have limits.

13. d_rock

d_rock
    from Denver

I always use adhesion promoter on chrome just to be sure it sticks