Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects New shop truck project- 1960 Ford shortbox "fridge"

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Chris, Apr 28, 2015.

1. A good friend of mine @kidzintha34fodor has this nice little 60 Ford shortbox big back window Custom Cab pickup. It looks really clean, but is missing the engine and tranny, along with the seat and some other bits and pieces. I had some early OHV Caddilac stuff he wanted and he offered a trade for the lil 60. I agreed and will pick it up from him in a few weeks. I have had a handfull of 60 Ford pickups, I have always liked them. Drove one daily for many years.
    So I start looking around for engines and such locally, I want this to be a low budget truck that I can tool around town in and look good doing it. I ended up buying a cheap 60 longbox that I drove home. Has a 292 and a 4 speed, brand new tires, new battery and some other new parts. It runs pretty well and does not seem to smoke. The guy was doing some ammiture resto stuff on it and already painted the inside of the cab. But everything works, even the trailer light pig tail! It will gove me the engine, maybe the trans, seat, tires/wheels, brakes, and all the other small pieces that I wll need.

So my plan is to combine the two, and make one good lil 60. I will part out the blue one, if anyone needs anything let me know.

The shortbox

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The donor truck. I even used it last weekend to haul my 34 tudor body around

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 15, 2015
    GreenMonster48 likes this.
  2. town sedan

town sedan

Chris, nice trade! The '57-'60 Ford big back window short box pick up is one of my favorites. Sounds like you have a good plan with the running donor truck also. Looking forward to your progress on the old big window. -Dave

3. brad2v

brad2v

Nice clean little shortbox. That will make a nice driver.

4. Cool. At a local Yard there's a '59 shortbox slowly being dismantled. Even the Yard owner couldn't believe someone had turned it in. It seems like it was a good clean truck before the yayhoos started pulling parts off it with a hatchet...
    I've been eyeing the short box on it and having thoughts about putting it on my neighbors regular box pickup.

5. Roger53

Roger53

Damn I'm green with envy here I'd really like one of them boxy fords. Roger

6. The nice thing about these trucks is they are still cheap and plentiful...at least around here.

7. Roger53

Roger53

Yes I've been told that by a friend from there and my son when goes to the west coast for work .But up here you pretty much never see them any more. Showed my wife and kind of wimper a little about how I'd like to have one. She just rolled she eyes at me ! Roger

8. Good looking truck Chris,I've always like the early 60's Ford trucks. HRP

9. oldrelics

oldrelics
    from Calgary

It never ceases to amaze me what you find......

10. SixtyFord

SixtyFord

I love seeing '59-'60 get built.
    Too bad your on the other side of the country. I'd be interested in the hood. But good luck with the build. You look like you've got a solid foundation to start with.

11. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

Yea, I need the body in the bed of the blue one...

12. Barn Hunter

Barn Hunter

f7.jpg Similar to the 59 I got a few weeks ago.....but with a small window.

13. Roger53

Roger53

Very nice! Roger

14. Very nice!

15. Come get it, it'll be cheap :)

16. Well I got the ol 60 home over the weekend. It is in pretty nice shape, should clean up well. It is missing just enough stuff, that I am glad I bought the blue one for parts. Between the two I should have a pretty nice little truck

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 18, 2015
  17. skoh73

skoh73

Dang, that's a cool truck! Never looked at these closely before. I love the dash and steering wheel. Looking forward to progress-subscribed.

18. had a 60 panel and never did like the dual headlights, 57 sheetmetal is much better looking!

19. Beggars can't be choosers!

20. Roger53

Roger53

All I can say is I sure do like your new shop truck. Roger

21. I decided to buff the drivers side last night. Just a quick 30 minute job. With some time she should shine up great! If you look at the hood center, or the red stip above the back window, you can see how faded the paint was

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

22. Love the short box 60s. You'll have a cool little parts getter soon enough.