Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs 1964 impala is all over the road

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jahlg, May 9, 2015.

1. Jahlg

Jahlg
    from Michigan

just did a drum to disc conversion, with 2"drop spindles. all new bushings a year ago, air bagged. took it out for initial run after putting back togetther, and its all over thee place. feels like low tire pressure, but they arent low. got all new wheel bearings,spindles, calipers and rotors. im so frustrated with this car at this point, dont have a bottomless checkbook, so i try and do everything myself, with help, but damn, im at wits end... help

TMSTransport likes this.
  2. have you had it aligned?

3. deto

deto

X2

4. BobMcD

BobMcD

If the toe in is way off it will be all over the road. At the very check the toe with a tape measure and get it close before you take it to an alignment shop. 1/8' toe in should get you in the ballpark

5. stimpy

stimpy

sounds like its toed out and like bob said above bring it in . and then make sure to get it aligned at a shop . best $40 bucks you can save besides your life ,neutral ( 0) or 1/16th toe out can cause this problem specially if the caster is off and if you run bias tires will make it more noticable

6. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

I hope your 64 doesn't end up like this:
    64 impala.jpg

pat59, lewk, dan c and 1 other person like this.
  7. doinbad

doinbad
    from celina tn

Have it lined up when you installed the brake kit it widens the track with about 1/2 so toe is out . Just done one had to do same thing but I always set toe after a brake swap

8. Jahlg

Jahlg
    from Michigan

Ok, how do I check toe? I'm going to get it aligned but I need to be able to make it to the shop safe, so I want it close

9. 50pontiacguy

50pontiacguy

How are the air bags plumbed? If they tee off, one line feeding both fronts/rears it can cause pressure to change between the two when you corner or hit a large bump, IE turning left hard will cause right front to "deflate" pushing air to left front.... Also do you have shocks? Just a thought. Alignment is sound advice too......

10. doinbad

doinbad
    from celina tn

Get a buddy and 2 tape measures I take a couple of 1 foot by 2 foot pice of ply wood cut to slots at each end 1 inch deep and 2 inch off ground place them vertical again the tires one tape in each slot from side to side set it at between a1/4 to 1/8 toe in

11. doinbad

doinbad
    from celina tn

This is a pic of the plates I use they are alum but a plywood one would work the same ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1431261694.855762.jpg

12. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If there's a center tread line (groove) you can use it, or jack up each front and scribe a line down the center with a scratch awl or a piece of chalk. move the car back n forth to be sure each side has settled to where it normally rides. About 3' back and 3' forward should do it. Measure the front distance of the 2 tires then the back. The difference is your toe setting. If you measure say, 58 1/4 in the front and 58 in the rear you're toed out. You need to measure as high on the tire as you can. By the way, that 58 inch number is just an example. Good luck and let us know what you find. What doinbad is showing works too.

13. Jahlg

Jahlg
    from Michigan

i just looked at it as i went out for my morning jog, holy shit its way out!! that explains it, my bags have lines run to each, 8 valves, no tees in system. going to make a jig with some angle aluminum that i have. i will post results, probably today or tomorrow

50pontiacguy and Frankie47 like this.
  14. Jahlg

Jahlg
    from Michigan

69 7/8" rear, 72 5/8 front measurement. Whoops. Just a bit toe out

15. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Oooops!

40fordtudor likes this.
  16. dan c

dan c
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

just like being "just a bit" pregnant. lol

17. Jahlg

Jahlg
    from Michigan

Hahaha I am still learning

18. mike 51

mike 51
    from norcal

An easy fix is always nice...

19. Jahlg

Jahlg
    from Michigan

Got it closer tonight. Pulls left a bit, but going to get proper front alignment next. Now about the brakes

20. I learned many years ago that if I measured the old tie rods between the grease fittings and wrote down that number, assemble the new ones to that length and the toe will at least let me get it onto the alignment rack.

21. Jahlg

Jahlg
    from Michigan

My driver side rod was a bear to adjust. Passenger spun freely. Got to try and make it go straight

22. mrconcdid

mrconcdid
    from Florida

I had a similar problem when I replaced tie rod ends, I put a piece of tape on the threads where the old tie rod ended, then screwed on the new tie rod till it touched the tape, I thought I was really doing something, I didn't notice the new tie rod shank was longer than the old ones, ended up having the toe set way out like yours, reset the toe and it drove good again.
    Godspeed
    MrC.

23. 1964 Impala front suspension in action,,

24. stimpy

stimpy

2 3/4 out !! suprised the front tires were not howling from being dragged along , when you go get a alignment they are going to need a good set of tires ( newer or equal wear ) to set it so if you have 2 off tires buy a set of new ones . its not a gimmick its needed to make things even when they set it .

25. Jahlg

Jahlg
    from Michigan

My tires are about 95% so not worried about that. Going to try for next Saturday on alignment.

26. Jahlg

Jahlg
    from Michigan

My tires are about 95% so not worried about that. Going to try for next Saturday on alignment.

27. Jahlg

Jahlg
    from Michigan

Sorry for double post