Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods silver nitrate hydra chrome (home depot)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by model A hooligan, May 13, 2015.

1. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

I didn't go to Home Depot website or anything, but I can't imagine why they'd be selling this stuff. What in your house do you want chrome plated? Toilet?

2. rottenleonard

rottenleonard

Awhile back there was a HAMB'r that was offering inexpensive you prep chroming service on small parts. I can't seem to find his thread now but seems like his prices were less than the coatings.

3. .... Unfortunately, he didn't get enough response so the enterprise is dead...

4. art dekko

art dekko

We used www.coatofchrome.com in PA to finish 30 interior trim parts on a '61 Olds. We thought all the pieces came out looking like real chrome. I would hesitate to use this for exterior bumpers or trim because it can fade or chip.
    chrome_paint.png

62hotcat and beyond static like this.
  5. LM14

LM14
    Member Emeritus
    from Iowa

Put the "chrome" powder coat to bed. It doesn't look anything like chrome after the protective clear coat. Very short life without the clear coat. Cost was about 1/4 of chrome.

Left side is "chrome" powder coat
    Center is triple show chrome
    Right is polished stainless

The spray on stuff is basically what is on the back side of a piece of glass to make a mirror these days. Low durability.

SPark

Attached Files:

6. Devin

Devin
    from Napa, CA

This may sound crazy or risky, but does anyone have experience with chrome platers south of the border? I'm sure all the environmental crap is null there and your cash will go much further.

7. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

Devin, now you're going into "Bumper Boyz" territory. Plating takes a ton of labor, which is why the Mexican stuff is cheaper. BUT...it is also an exact science to get the solutions, plating, electrodes, all working in harmony to do the actual plating right. One of the expensive guys I used actually had a chemist come in weekly, or more to check his tanks. That is where the south of the border places fail. Use lower quality chemicals, short dip times, for thinner plating, overuse the solutions, etc.
    Art Dekko is right, the silver nitrate stuff really looks pretty close to chrome, you sometimes cannot tell, but it is still going to be just as durable as the coating you put over it...regular automotive urethane clearcoat. Great for interiors, maybe engine stuff, but not bumpers or grills, that are subject to weathering, rock chips, etc.

8. Devin

Devin
    from Napa, CA

Makes sense and I'm not surprised. I just figured maybe without govt breathing down their necks they could just do their job.

9. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

Alsa Chrome FX system has been shown even at events like SEMA seems to give a shiny finish. Perma Chrome PVD finishing is another alternative to true chrome for wheels. Special, Bright Anodizing for aluminum molding, etc. Several wheeler & dealers in chrome bumpers from LA area, in Southern California, that get work done in Mexico show up at most swap meets. good chrome wheels are taken apart to be able to polish entire wheel for a true finish. yes, chrome like powder coating finish will dull without clear coating. most things are not cheap or easy.

Last edited: May 18, 2015
  10. There are reputable chrome shops south of the border just like there are reputable upholsterers. The trouble is finding them, if it were me I would look for Americans who have moved their business to the Zona Frontera or I would go kick around for a week or so looking for a good place. Actually if someone was willing to finance my trip I would go and find a place and make arrangements for HAMBer discounts. LOL

Maybe someone could mention that to the Boss, it would be a good bonding opportunity for us and should produce more then one JJ blog. :D :D

11. Yeah I'm aware powder coat doesn't look like chrome.but does it look all that bad? Its pretty durable. Found a guy here that would do it for 240 if I have them sandblasted.

12. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

just be sure to have them clear coated after "chrome" applied

13. metlmunchr

metlmunchr

American Racing is using PVD chrome on some of their wheels now. If you poke around on the AR site, you can see a comparison of the PVD side by side with traditional plating. Slight color difference, but I doubt anyone could tell the difference if they weren't side by side. And they warrant the PVD for twice as long as normal plating.

I wouldn't be surprised to see more and more companies who manufacture and plate products in house going to PVD over the next few years. It gets rid of tons of environmental compliance costs and is much safer for people working around it. But, for a set of 4 wheels its doubtful that it would be any cheaper if you were to find a job shop plater with PVD capability since the biggest cost in custom plating is in the prep labor and not the actual plating itself.