Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects The Hardscrabble Hop-Up; A 1940's Style 'T' RPU build

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by gwhite, Jul 21, 2013.

1. Elrod

Elrod

I used to own a 1937 Plymouth and knew about the good ole MoPar early parts. Glad you aren't following that "How To Build" book to a T and using your noggen the way a kid who worked at the wrecking yard would have done in the 40s!

TexasSpeed, Carter and gwhite like this.
  2. Late 40s early 50s Dodge pickup shock mounts
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Am in the process of doing some parts swapping with a pal for a dual intake, so I picked up a couple things to go along with it. Here's a sneak peek :)

[​IMG]
    And a little 'bling' for the side cover;
    [​IMG]

4. Wake-y wake-y ... eggs and bake-y !!! Cockle-doodle-doody-doooooo Gee-WHY-ight !!!! What's fun in your world today ?

gwhite likes this.
  5. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:rolleyes: The three W`s.Wild women and whisky.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

loudbang and kidcampbell71 like this.
  6. Good update! I'm grabbing my hat and rushing down to the Plymouth Dealer. Wonder what he'll give me trade-in on a new '37 for my stripped-down Ford? haha. That was a fun watch, and no one alive today sounds like those 1930's narrators!

I do now expect a "Motor Life"-style drive-report on your rod someday, where we get to hear about the ride quality and road manners. Keep at it!

gwhite likes this.
  7. Thanks guys; not much going on here...been busy with work & family commitments, hope to get back on the 'Hardscrabble Hop-Up' again soon!

8. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

hey, @gwhite ...how am I supposed to start my '27 TRPU build thread if you don't finish yours so I can copy it?

volvobrynk, draider and kidcampbell71 like this.
  9. Larry, i was looking for a picture of Gary's old avitar to post on your thread............sick minds think alike.

volvobrynk, 3wLarry and kidcampbell71 like this.
  10. His Instagram is stellar. Click his signature/no app' required/PC "clicky mouse" friendly. I have to peek sometimes to make sure he's kickin' ... and look at some great parts & pieces of fun. His opening intro line there is surely awesome. lol Ya' gotta' love it.

11. waxhead

waxhead
    from West Oz

Just read all 20 pages, great attention to detail as others have already stated.

12. Thanks fellas, hang with me; be back on it soon!

13. Swapped my extra Winfield intake that I polished for this gorgeous early Burns manifold...Have a pair of 81's waiting to go on it. And I'm going to pick up my motor tomorrow!!!

IMG_20151027_195700.jpg

14. What happened to the Winfield B ? Change your mind before using it?

15. The Winfield SR-B is still on the motor...will probably keep it for a while and use it to break in the motor. At some point in the not-so-distant future, I'd like to put in a full race cam along with the dual 81's. The Winfield carb & intake will go toward a future project (or my kids college fund) most likely :)

16. Motor is home, safe & sound...well, relatively. I didn't get a long enough section of chain, so I messed the paint up pretty good on the head. Will have to repaint. And now that I think about it, I wonder if I should shoot another color on the motor itself...that green is sorta ugly...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

bct, -Brent- and K13 like this.
  17. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

Gary you must be giddy as all hell.

gwhite likes this.
  18. Is it running yet???

19. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

I did it I did it! I actually clicked on a link to instagram! And hair didn't grow on my palms or anything! Nice Tiara... Looks like your daughter is about the same age as mine.:)

volvobrynk and gwhite like this.
  20. I don't know... I kind of like the green and yellow paint. My thinking is, if some guy in the 40's picked up a perfectly good running banger, would he waste time masking off and painting in his garage just because it was green? No! He'd slap on a high compression head and intake, drop it in his rod and get motorvating. :D

Repaint it when you blow it up ;)

21. Absolutely! So glad to finally have it home!!

It does...need to get a few things adjusted before I post a video :)

Hahaha! Tiara and lip gloss! Insta-Hamb is pretty cool for seeing what folks are up to, but I much prefer the interaction of the HAMB.

Good point! Maybe I'll live with the green...I don't blow it up anytime soon...can't even imagine the thought of that right now :eek:

22. waxhead

waxhead
    from West Oz

Pretty hard to argue with this logic, keeping the motor green makes sense.

23. rtsidejohnny

rtsidejohnny

Great to see you back at it, and the Burns manifold and side plate are SWEEEEEET!

24. Screwed around with the Burns stuff this evening...think I really like it. Hope it performs as well as it looks!

burns2.jpg

25. dwest999

dwest999
    from Saline, MI

Good stuff GW... Btw, the green and yellow looks cool... Keep it.

26. waxhead

waxhead
    from West Oz

Looking good Gary, I'm liking the Burns intake and valve cover.

27. i sure like the, originality of the green on the block, the "industrial" look of the yellow head, and the no nonsense look of the performance parts. looks good.

Speedy Canuck likes this.
  28. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

X2

29. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

I don't know if I agree. Back in the day if somebody was gonna pay for all those "Hollywood" parts I am sure they would spring for a can of whatever the best paint they could get. Green and yellow screams John Deere.

I bet they would rub that exhaust down with some stove black too.

tomkelly88 and Squablow like this.