Register now to get rid of these ads!

What paint brand are you spraying and why?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Roothawg, Feb 5, 2006.

1. I'm a PPG junkie too.....mixing system and all.....
    25+ years and it just won't fail on me......and that's worth the extra $$$ :eek:

I hear Matrix and Refinish Technologies are affordable true PPG knock-offs, but I have no personal experience.

No doubt about the quality of Sikkens either---my former shop truck got a warranty(delam) repaint with Sikkens. I washed it annually, never waxed it. 3 years later, detailed it for resale and it looked like new.

Root, you have a pm.

2. Spitfire1776

Spitfire1776
    from York, PA

I guess it really comes done to what you want. When it comes to body work, I'm burnt out for the lack of better term. I fix something up, but I not into doing crazy body work anymore, or crazy color combo's. So I tend to go for something simple, that'll last decently, look decently, and be cheaper. Right now, that's Valspar.

3. lowburban

lowburban

We've had good results with R-M's Diamont line as well as PPG. My favorte so far was Glassurit. Haven't used it in a few years but the quality was top notch. The price reflected it though. My brother recently discovered Spies-Heckler while in Body shop school and swears by it. Used Limco and Omni single stage before and had probs with both of em fading bad. My old toyota was all Diamont. Peach with multi color graphics and a nice blue pearl in the clear. Was a daily driver and held up great for 3 years till I sanded it off and I never waxed anything. Even won a best pearl paint award at a show with over 700 rides. ( I was stunned ).

4. KATFISH

KATFISH

raffman is right,

it wont be long before Joe Average wont be able to walk in the paint store
    and buy paint.
    EPA ,city ordainces, pissy neighbors,and just plain overpriced product
    have, and will force us to go looking for alternatives.
    Has any one here tried any of the water based paints now out there?
    Auto Air Colors is one i have looked at. no thinners req.(pour right into a
    hvlp spray gun from the jug) .Easy,water cleanup
    Look at April 2006 Classic Trucks, there is an article in there on using it.

5. Spitfire1776

Spitfire1776
    from York, PA

I've used water base on motorcycle pieces and helmets, with success. Just spray a clear sealer over. Its not going to give an overly dramatic effect, but it worked good for that. Haven't got up the gumption to try it ona larger scale. Yet.

6. krooser

krooser

Kirker...cheap, looks good, only available pre-packaged in certain colors BUT if you need a $160.00 paint job including all materials, you can't beat it.

Attached Files:

7. ..Their Nason topcoats suck-rather use Rustoleum .
    .[/quote]

I agree.. We used to use Nason at the Maaco I worked at through college.... it is truley horrible paint. it doesn't hold up well.. we would see noticable fading after just 6 months, sometime sooner..

8. FeO2

FeO2

I have used Dupont for the last 15 years & after the last 3 cars I painted I'm thru with those overpriced bastards. Nason primer sucks on a number of levels. I used PPG Omni on the last job and for 1/4 the price, I loved it. The Omni plus line is supposed to be a little better (for a little more money). HOK is nice for special jobs but you better know for sure what you are painting over!

9. pail44

pail44

I use PPG basecoat and Omni clearcoat. I have had good success with this combination. I only paint my own cars now so I use what works for me.
    James

10. OneTireFire

OneTireFire

Has anyone else ever used Restorer's Choice products? I worked at a shop that used their clear and high build primer. The clear was extremely easy to work with compared to both Dupont and PPG, looks just as good depth and gloss wise, and seemed to hold up very well. The primer sanded nice but we did have problems with swelling sand scrathes every once in awhile. The guy that makes it is supposedly a retired Dupont chemist and doesn't want to get too big so he won't set up a distribution network, he has a buddy that makes all the deliveries for him in the OH, PA area as far as I know.

PS: we used PPG for the basecoat.

Oh, price was better than the name brands too.

11. michaelthe9

michaelthe9

I used PPG for the first time on my '64 wagon two years ago. I chose it because of the intercoat clear. What is it DBU 500 or something like that. I liked that for doing the graphics and metalflake. Before that I used strictly DuPont Chroma stuff but that system doesn't have an intercoat clear. They are both easy to work with but I think that the PPG polishes and holds a gloss very nicely. I try not to skimp on quality of paint because that is my favorite part but the bottom line is in the preparation anyway. I will probably learn to do a better job with PPG and stick with it on my '51 Vicky. You know, learn to work within my limitations (painting in a garage) and improve from one paint job to the next.
    Michael

Attached Files:

12. I've always sprayed Dupont. I don't have any specific reason why I just like Dupont.

13. man-a-fre

man-a-fre

As merc man i use ppg's budget line of omni they have a good epoxy primer and good filler primer also had real good luck with omni

14. Roothawg

Roothawg

Thanks guys. I am just gathering info here. I have emailed several of the suppliers to see how they respond to a couple of questions I have.

15. 3100 Special

3100 Special

Can't say if it's good or bad but, I bought Hawthorne for the panel truck. It was cheap and will get me past the build. 189.00 total including shipping. Gallon of epoxy primer, gallon of base, gallon of clear coat, all of the reducers and hardeners.
    http://www.paintforcars.com/aep_omahaorange.html
    I haven't laid it down yet. We'll see.

16. THECHICK

THECHICK

Hubby (chopshop) used PPG for a loooooong time and just switched last year to DUPONT and loves it. He said its much easier to lay down and mixes up better(easier?). Plus the reps are cool and very helpful when you get a difficult paintjob to do. They totally stand by the product (PPG did too- not knocking anyone here)
    Plus, being the painters of a giveaway car at a show DUPONT sponsors , we probably should be using the products alla time you know? :p

17. Anyone ever tried RAYFLEX brand paint products?They offer Acrylic enamel and Laquer-good prices.
    BTW is this Hawthorne[mentioned above] the same as Rayflex?
    If so how does the A/enamel buff?

18. o0xerog0o

o0xerog0o

At the body shop I work at we use Spies-Hecker paints. I definitely recommend it if you could afford it, because it is expensive. You get what you pay for though...

19. Roothawg

Roothawg

Well, I heard back from Southern Poly and Kirker and with both, you are limiteds to off the shelf color. Which equates out to a smaller selection.

20. I had glassurite on my 91 Toyota that was never waxed for the 3 years I had it painted, and it was beautiful! I used to roll it out in the driveway on a nice day, pull out the lawnchair and beer, and just sit there and stare at it for an hour or two.

21. ratt7

ratt7

For the "Jalopy Kid" - Where are you buying the Endura brand paint. On my truck I purchased a metallic silver from Parts Source called "Select" by Sherwin Williams. Its not bad, but I figure I would give it a try, my truck is a daily driver and I thought I would experiment with the brand.

22. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

Krylon....it's what I have. The Beater is painted with Pittsburgh Brand Battleship grey. It took a minute to get the metal ball to start clatterin' but it turned out nice.

23. Orange54

Orange54
    from Missouri

When I clicked on the hawthorne link and looked at kits the kits said Rayflex on the can.

24. Roadsters.com

Roadsters.com

It's my understanding that this company's customer service is exceptional. Here's how to reach the company's owner:

Barry Kives
    Southern Polyurethanes, Inc.
    2289 Arbor Hill Rd.
    Canton, GA 30115
    (404) 307-9740 - cell
    http://www.southernpolyurethanes.com/

I haven't bought any Southern Polyurethanes paint yet, but I've talked to Barry and he seems to be a good guy.

Dave
    http://www.roadsters.com/

25. Thanks for the first halfs answer:D -But has anyone ever tried it and how does it buff out?

26. Orange54

Orange54
    from Missouri

27. Canuck

Canuck

Just wondering what your experience is as far as lasts long?

Wondering if I did something wrong. Used Endura on some east facing garage doors, hoping I wouldn't ever have to repaint. After about 14 years teh paint was chalking.