Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Bob McCoy 1940 Ford prom photo from 1956

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Antique Automotive, Apr 1, 2015.

1. Antique Automotive

Antique Automotive
    from San Diego

Bob McCoy 1940 Ford prom photo and 1st wife to be Judy Grobbel, baton twirler -1956 SDHS San Diego High School.

I came across this 1956 photo of the legendary real Fifties guy Bob McCoy and his famous 1940 Ford with flames. Bob lived the American dream. He was in the heart of it in the Fifties and continued his love of Hot Rods in his sign painting and artist career. He passed away last year and left his memories with his art and his friends. He will always be remembered in Hot Rod history.

Bob Mccoy 1940 Ford prom photo and 1st wife to be Judy Grobbel, Baton Twirler -1956 SDHS.jpg

2. F&J

F&J

flashback to 1956: Would you have let your daughter go to the prom with a car like that sitting out front? Must have looked like a real hoodlum car. he, he

Cool pic and bit of history

3. olcurmdgeon

olcurmdgeon

Wow what a great memory of a real great guy. Met him in the 90s at Pomona and have one of his prints he signed for me.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  4. Antique Automotive

Antique Automotive
    from San Diego

If you knew Bob McCoy, he was such a likable guy you would of said ok.

Bob mccoy 1940 ford.jpg

5. BOMONSTER

BOMONSTER

Bob was the first artist I met when I started hitting the shows with my own art and apparel. It was Good Guys Del Mar just a few years ago. He made me feel welcome, showed me his work, and gave me all kinds of advice during our first conversation - smiling the whole time. I introduced myself every year since while vending near him at the L.A. Roadster show. He'd always say "Sure, I remember. Good to see you BO..." and then show me some new piece he had created. He loved what he did and made me feel like a peer - even though he was the legend, not me. Great artist. great man.

6. F&J

F&J

^ I never followed the magazines and I'm on the wrong coast...but now that you just showed the nerf setup...why yes indeed,... I do very much remember the car. Another cool pic. :)

hey, the shirt....the Beach Boys copied him :)

7. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

Cool pic.. Thanks for posting it...

8. A iconic car and his style made a big impact on 40 Ford sedan guys all over the world. HRP

lothiandon1940 and 36 poncho like this.
  9. Cool car. Here's a pic I took of a tribute car from Jalopyrama 2014 Annapolis, MD.

40 tribute.jpg

40fordtudor and lothiandon1940 like this.
  10. wvenfield

wvenfield

Back in the day the Stone's allowed Mary Stone to go out with a guy that had to park on a hill to make sure his car would start.

Heck, they allowed her to go out with Tommy Ivo and we all know he likely drove too fast.

11. Antique Automotive

Antique Automotive
    from San Diego

I think its terrific people build tribute cars like this, that show a piece of history that reflects a great era of the Fifties.

12. typo41

typo41
    Member Emeritus

Chick and I met Bob through the Forties Limited, he did the art for the shirts back in the 80's and 90's. Great guy, we would run into him at the car shows, always remembered us and would just give us prints and explain why he drew them. He loved all types of cars, from hot rods to Porshe 356's. He was an artist that truly lived the Hot Rod Life, and he is missed.

13. Mertaw

Mertaw

Thanks for posting the prom pic! That's awesome! This is my dad and I in front of our McCoy Flamed '40! We enjoyed talking with Bob while building it. Sorry we never got the chance to meet him in person. Dad bought his '40 in 1958 the same year Bob's was on the front of the Hot Rod annual. Dad always wanted his to look like that so I made it happen ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1431402092.478516.jpg

14. Neat photo. Do you have a larger one?

volvobrynk likes this.
  15. Antique Automotive

Antique Automotive
    from San Diego

16. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

Okay if it was me in the fiftys, I wouldn't choose to be the dad, I would be Him!!

Drive that everywhere, go anywhere with here and go all in that car and that girl!
    The are so beautiful together

17. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

God I love that car...

18. Babar40

Babar40
    from Florida

It was the the forty I fell in love with back then and the reason I have mine today.

19. Hot Rod Nut

Hot Rod Nut

A cool car and 2 cool guys. Your livin the dream.

20. Mertaw

Mertaw

Thx Stretch! U heading to Wayland tomorrow? Wish I could make it... Gotta work to pay for my habits! Good and bad!