Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Which carb do I want?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Stude350guy, May 13, 2015.

1. After several years and projects with Brand X carbs which made me unhappy, on my new Pontiac 428 project (which presently has no carb), I want to return to using a Holley. I've used Holley's for most of my engines since my first DP Holley in 1976. Sure, Holley's require a bunch of tuning to get them right, but I'm familiar with them and want to use one on my new project. I'm considering a Holley aluminum Avenger 83770 but am intrigued with the new Quick Fuel Hot Rod series carb HR-780-VS. Both carbs are close in price and offer similar features: vacuum secondaries with easy tuning, 4 corner idle screws, dual metering blocks, aluminum construction, etc. More detail can be found at Holley: https://www.holley.com/products/fuel_systems/carburetors/avenger/street_avenger/parts/0-83770
    or at Quick Fuel: http://www.quickfueltechnology.com/carburetors-hr-series/hr-780-vs-hot-rod-series-carburetor.html
    Has anyone used either of these carbs? Any preference one over another? I'd really appreciate any and all thoughts on these two carbs. Using vacuum secondaries is not my usual as I frequently used the Holley 4779 double pumper but feel on a heavy car with only occasional weekends at the strip, the vacuum carbs would be a better choice. Thanks for all help!
    (I did plenty of Q-jets in the '70's and '80's and really do not want to do another.)

2. squirrel

squirrel

Can't you find an old 3310 laying around somewhere? I guess I'm just a cheapskate, and would not spend over four bills for just one carburetor...

Honest Charley described the 3310 as "the runniest carb ever made" or something. They usually work good for me.

3. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

4. JOECOOL

JOECOOL

squirrel is right on this one, go with the one that has powered thousands of cars very well for years. Try to buy the older one that has metering blocks in both ends but the others are ok also. Buy a book at a swap meet and have fun.

5. Duh....where was my head??? Y'all are right, will have to check swap meets and maybe online. Leaves $$ to rebuild and tune and still have bucks for other parts. Appreciate it!

6. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

I dragged every one [3310-1/2/3] home that I found at the scrap yard..Didn't need the 780 body or throttle plate parts but used the bowls and metering blocks [plug in rear metering plate instead of power valve] on an 1850 body and throttle plate..Made the 1850 very tune-able..

7. U-235

U-235

I can't quite comprehend the reluctance to use a Q-Jet. My 69 428 has been running with the same carb since brand new....(oh, I did replace it once with a brand new one). It now has 300,000 on it now and runs (overhauled motor 3 times) as good as it ever did. Besides, they're easy to rebuild.

6-bangertim likes this.
  8. Shaggy

Shaggy
    from Sultan, WA

8 Stromberg 48's on a crossram... or like was said before, $30 swap meet 4150 with a $30 rebuild kit. I'm not sure of your specs but I'd assume around a 750cfm Or 3rd option, there are some nice '70 ford holley 450 cfm's that I seem to come up with at swap meets(p/n 4548?), 2 of them would do the trick with a little tuning

Also on traditional builds I say stay away from new holleys, there is too much plastic junk on them, the old carbs have steel hardware

Ive never paid over $50 for a carb including my 97's, holley 3bbl or any of the 1/2 dozen 4 bbls ive ever ran.

Last edited: May 13, 2015
  9. 01c108ef67c4c94bd70482d7cc9ed462.jpg 63_Pontiac_Tempest-LeMans_DV-10-MB_e01.jpg
    Just my opinion, but I think Pontiacs look dorky with Holleys on them.
    Tri Power, 2x4 Carters, ..or Q Jet ..Way to go

Last edited: May 14, 2015
    40fordtudor and Hotrodmyk like this.
  10. [​IMG]

I loved Pontiac 421's back in the early '60's as a 16 yr old. Usually the top stockers at the strip were 409 Chevy's and 406 Fords. Whenever a Pontiac 421 showed up, the Bow Ties and Blue Ovals had a bad day. Since a 428 is a factory bored-out 421, you've sparked a thought.....find a dual quad intake and do a pseudo 421 with swap meet Carters or Edelbrocks (de-shined) and small air cleaners. Ram Air Restorations has repro cast headers like the 421's used but a set of headers may fit the budget better. Thanks for the idea!

11. sunbeam

sunbeam

I am not a fan of small air cleaners when the filter won't flow as much as the carb it's like pulling the choke.

12. All true but that was the factory race set up.
    All they wanted was something light to make it legal for release as a complete car.
    I doubt many left them on in competition.