Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Ingenuity

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hudson48, May 14, 2015.

1. hudson48

hudson48

Today we visited our friend Pete Aardema who is a well known innovative hot rodder and Bonneville car builder. Many years ago Pete developed the overhead cam heads for small block chevs and a few other engines and also built a couple of rear engined cars,the first being his white 33 coupe and his 37 roadster that he still owns.
    He also has a 33 roadster running a big block Chev with Porsche overcam heads adapted and all late model drive train (not HAMB friendly I guess).
    His Bonneville history is extensive with overhead cam Model A engines in a Model A roadster and then later in his streamliner. That car did over 240mph with Scotty Geitz driving.
    While we there there Pete was preparing the car(now a Lakester) for El Mirage this weekend but the weather may prevent him running.
    His next project is an all aluminium V12 that is completely built in his home workshop. This is similiar to the Allison engines of the past.This monster will be 1200 cubic inches developing 3000hp with 5 inch bore and twin Paxton style superchargers. All this and more.
    Check out the pictures of this shop and other stuff including his overhead cam motors etc.
    Petes workshop 001.JPG Petes workshop 002.JPG Petes workshop 003.JPG Petes workshop 004.JPG Petes workshop 005.JPG Petes workshop 006.JPG Petes workshop 007.JPG Petes workshop 009.JPG Petes workshop 010.JPG Petes workshop 011.JPG

-Brent-, stanlow69, RichFox and 4 others like this.
  2. wow...he has all the tools needed to build about anything , and apparently knows how to use them

3. draggin'GTO

draggin'GTO

ENGINEuity.

Simply incredible, a very talented man.

scrap metal 48 likes this.
  4. drtrcrV-8

drtrcrV-8

After I die, can I get a job there?

5. 59Apachegail

59Apachegail
    from New York

Very talented guy! And and a sweet machine shop to boot!

6. ronzmtrwrx

ronzmtrwrx

He is an amazing talent. Didn't he lose pretty much everything to a fire a few years back?

7. Timbofor

Timbofor

Being a skilled trained experienced machinist with access to some of the coolest stuff in the industry I'm still amazed at what some brilliant people come up with.
    I'm lucky enough to make valve train components for some cool race engines. Some of these guys are just amazing. A few are butchers and send me stuff to fix that I just can't help but wonder where these guys lured their trade. We have a wall of shame board with pictures in out engineering office.

hipster likes this.
  8. hudson48

hudson48

Yes Pete and Ladine lost their house and the original workshop including a lifetime collection of tools, some of his early engine conversions, some cars, his custom motor bike that used half a small block chev with an overhead cam head, and lots of irreplaceable memories. They rebuilt everything and he got his passion back.

stanlow69 likes this.
  9. raidmagic

raidmagic

Now that bike sounds super interesting. Any pics of it?

10. Model T1

Model T1

Wow! Thanks. All I can make is dust and metal shavings.

11. ronzmtrwrx

ronzmtrwrx

Im glad to see that they rebounded from that. The man is genius, I think. I thought I remembered a story I had read about them Pretty much losing it all in one of those wildfires out there. Didn't he do some overhead cam stuff on some Harley's for Ness?

12. wstory

wstory
    from So Calif

And on top of all those accolades,....he an unpretentious and nice guy!

Rich Wright likes this.
  13. bustedwrench

bustedwrench

14. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

Yes to everything good said about Pete Aardema

15. Falcon H

Falcon H
    from Waco Texas

Last edited: Dec 24, 2015
  16. drtrcrV-8