Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1947 Ford Sportsman Wood Construction

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by t.schmidt, May 13, 2015.

1. t.schmidt

t.schmidt

We are ready to begin building the new wood, and although we have a huge amount of pattern wood, and jigs from Hawirko's the task still seem daunting. Because of the logistics of building this car in Mexico, when you need something special, i.e. spiral up-cut router bit, 5/8" rabbet bit with a 1/2" shank, it becomes a waiting game, unless you cough up the big money for Overnight International Shipping. I hope you enjoy these pictures, this is the first time in a long time that this beautiful car had he correct wood on it.
    side week 1.JPG rear quarter week 1.JPG week 1 closeup post.JPG
    So far so good, everything is working good so-far, just need to finesse the joints.

week 1 progress.JPG

056.JPG 057.JPG 060.JPG 081.JPG 003.JPG
    004.JPG 006.JPG 008.JPG
    007.JPG

009.JPG 010.JPG 011.JPG

Time to Start working on the doors.

007.JPG
    009.JPG 010.JPG 016.JPG
    018.JPG

019.JPG 020.JPG 021.JPG
    001.JPG 004.JPG 006.JPG
    007.JPG 011.JPG
    010.JPG
    Well here are some pictures of the wood I'll post more LATER.

2. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

Love your work. A rare car that deserves preserving. Those finger joints (?) look awesome. Subscribed.

3. williebill

williebill

Wow... beautiful.. metal scares me enough, but wood? Looks really good, thanks for posting.

4. I gotta follow this 1

5. AVater

AVater
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Connecticut HAMB'ers

Ambitious and beautiful!

6. beautiful!
    does the t120c machine do the finger joints? can you show it better.

7. Quality construction.
    Great job.

8. t.schmidt

t.schmidt

Thanks, I will post more pictures today

9. t.schmidt

t.schmidt

001.JPG 001.JPG 004.JPG 005.JPG 016.JPG 018.JPG 020.JPG
    004.JPG 025.JPG

Attached Files:

• 002.JPG
      002.JPG
      File size:
      31 KB
      Views:
    tb33anda3rd likes this.
  10. t.schmidt

t.schmidt

096.JPG
    Test fitting an original door to align the new quarter panel post.
    003.JPG 004.JPG 006.JPG
    While I wait for some router bits to arrive, I'll post some photos of the motor and other misc thing, you might find interesting. Will try to get a better picture of the Shaper with the finger-joint cutter posted.​

tb33anda3rd likes this.
  11. lewk

lewk
    from Mt

Thanks for sharing! What a cool project!

12. t.schmidt

t.schmidt

016.JPG 017.JPG

13. Thanks for sharing! great job! one of the coolest cars ever!

14. t.schmidt

t.schmidt

Nice Avatar, here is a picture of another car we did 51 ford woody 009.JPG Before
    woody 005.JPG

I'm The Leprechaun likes this.
  15. t.schmidt

t.schmidt

Thanks, I'll keep posting pics

16. t.schmidt

t.schmidt

Thanks everyone, for the positive response to the project.

17. so you are a Woodie pro...love it!

18. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

I have a huge woodie looking at those pictures. And I dont mean a car.

19. t.schmidt

t.schmidt

We removed the body from the chassis, and prepped and painted the chassis, it was in surprisingly good condition for its age and didn't require a lot of work, we have since purchased all the new suspension parts. Anyone familiar with this early type suspension, is aware of all the components necessary to repair it correctly. I have added photos of the chassis as well as a bunch on the motor and motor accessories following the rebuild. We had to trackdown a correct oil-filter and the air cleaner was from a later model and not correct for the later 47 model. We had issues with the 6 Volt coil and after spending a few weeks trying to find a new coil, we found someone that could rebuild ours. The 6 Volt starter, now I've said it, and I'm sure my therapist will be happy I acknowledged my problem. Anyway, it has since be resolve and weekly my meds are being reduced.

sportsman chassis 1.png

010.JPG

sportsman 017.JPG
    072.JPG
    073.JPG 010.JPG 016.JPG 138.JPG 145.JPG 146.JPG 153.JPG 001.JPG
    006.JPG
    Special Dog Bone Aluminum Body Mounts
    113.JPG
    117.JPG
    126.JPG

20. Where did you get the finger joint cutters? What brand is the shaper you are using and what size is the spindle Dia. Thanks

21. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

That is going to be damn nice. Loving the pics.

22. woodiewagon46

woodiewagon46
    from New York

I would also like to see a picture of the cutters and the machine that you are using for your finger joints. I replaced from the rear doors back on my '46. Most people that don't have "Woodies" don't realize how tedious this work is. Make a mistake on steel and you can fill it with lead or even Bondo. Make a mistake with wood and you are screwed. I have seen wrong holes and gaps filled with wood filler but you can always see them. Every cut I made I measured about a dozen times and was like a "cat sh**ing razor blades" when I made my cut. Nice job and keep posting pictures.

23. Bill Rinaldi

Bill Rinaldi

WOW---Thats nice work!!! And what really gets me is you guys are in PV!!!! A group of us USA hot rodders have come down to PV every winter FOR YEARS and never heard about any wood rebuilding shop. WOW!!! BILL RINALDI

24. t.schmidt

t.schmidt

Hey, Bill we are actually in Bucerias, just 15min outside of Vallarta. Next time you are here come over.

I'm The Leprechaun likes this.
  25. t.schmidt

t.schmidt

017.JPG 016.JPG

you can have the cutter heads made, http://www.carbidespecialties.com/Custom_Cutters.htm

bct and I'm The Leprechaun like this.
  26. woodiewagon46

woodiewagon46
    from New York

WOW! how do you manage to hold the piece you are doing the finger joints on! Those cutters look mid evil. The OSHA people would have a heart attack with that one! Are you a member of the National Woodie Club? I don't know if you know him but Jeff Yeagle is also building a Sportsman from scratch. Keep up the good work!

27. t.schmidt

t.schmidt

019.JPG
    Not a member of the National Woodie Club yet, I was hoping to finish the Sportsman Project and they would be so pleased with the work that I would be the Ambassador to Mexico. As far as the finger joints go, with the material clamped down to the miter jig, and for how smooth the machine is "knock on wood" it cuts really nice, if you notice in the picture I have 2 clamps applying pressure, and it allows me to have my hand placement well away from the cutter head. Also above the cut-line attached to the machine is a tool guard, the really reduces the risk of injury.
    I have talked to Jeff Yeagle, and am really impressed with his drive to create his Sportsman, I sent him some profiles for the front door post, to help his project. Great guy, I hope to meet him someday.

28. rg171352

rg171352
    from New York

Any updates?

bct likes this.