Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Shaved Gas Door

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Gotgas, May 1, 2015.

1. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

We're starting in on the bodywork on my Chrysler, and I'd like to shave the fuel door off the quarter panel.

How are you custom guys getting fuel in the tank? Using a fold-down license plate? Maybe a hinged tail light? Or just going caveman style with a filler neck and a rag in the trunk? Let's see how you did it. Thanks for any advice!

2. HammerDown

HammerDown

I am shaving the same fuel door on my '58 Plymouth. I am mounting a Mustang tank through the trunk floor, which has a rearward fuel fill. I am then using a 70'-80's GM type hinged plate mount to hide the fill behind the license plate. Pretty slick really, and it also gets rid of the big fill tube going through the front of the trunk area...

3. Cave man for me. Mind you I did toss the rag. I now use an actual gas cap.
    been filling it up in the trunk for 20 years. No problem.

4. 50Fraud

50Fraud

We've added to my '40 what you are taking off. Very traditional, not at all original, but it felt right to me. This is a gas door from a '46-48 Ford, patched into the fender to hide the stock exposed filler cap:
    GasDoorDtl.jpg

504640 and Merge like this.

5. Eric H

Eric H

Caveman style here.

6. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

That is beautiful. It is integrated seamlessly. On my car, it is an eyesore that stands out on that vast quarter panel.

Attached Files:

hendelec likes this.
  7. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

For those of you with filler necks and gas caps in the trunk, do gas fumes find their way into the car? I don't see how it wouldn't.

8. 50Fraud

50Fraud

Thanks. I always liked the behind-the-taillight trick on certain Cadillacs and Chevys, but I don't think I'd care to engineer one where it didn't already exist. Good luck!

9. bobbytnm

bobbytnm

I'm helping a buddy with a 58 Packard. We decided to shave the fuel filler door also. Our first plan was to just reverse the neck and have it inside the trunk. After considering it we decided that that wouldn't look very good. Plan B took a bit of engineering but it wasn't too bad. We used a fuel door hinge assembly and hinged the taillight from the bottom to give us access to the fuel neck.

Good luck
    Bobby

10. is there room to move it to the inside of the tail fin, it would not be as noticeable.

11. Not even a little bit. Simple really. Gas cap is not vented. When closed is sealed. Vent is from the tank. ... outside the car.

12. jeffyg82

jeffyg82

Filler surround and Camp (non vented) from jeep wrangler tj put a good vent in the tank n your stylin

Attached Files:

13. jeffyg82

jeffyg82

Sorry that pic is a 53 chevy and the raised piece use to be over to the side of the trunk floor for original filler

14. TonyVan

TonyVan
    from Vancouver

I'm both - tank and filler in the trunk, gas door and unconnected filler neck in the fender.
    I didn't do it, but I like the door anyway so I'm leaving it. It's a handy place to vent to if nothing else.

15. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

Sure looks better than those Hagan items...

Jet96 likes this.
  16. Mustang tank with filler in trunk, unvented cap and a vent tube (brake line) running from the filler neck to outside.

17. jcs64

jcs64

[​IMG]
    this is my 51 plym. w/ a mustang tank.
    welded in the vent holes in the cap and added a vent that goes up the wheel well and thru thru floor. Spun a stainless bowl to "trim" the filler neck.

jeff

cretin likes this.
  18. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

On my Olds, I just reversed the elbow on the filler tube, and have the fill on the inner wheel well in the trunk. as said, no fumes, as the old cars have sealed fill caps, and have an external vent. You just have to be careful filling up with fuel, so you don't spill it!

19. Stu D Baker

Stu D Baker
    from Illinois

This.^^^^^^

20. bottom feeder

bottom feeder

We built a hinge for the taillight on my 49 mercury with a cable release under the front seat. It turned out very nice. However the filler neck is short so fill up time is slow.

21. I put a vent tube(welded a cut off brake line) at the top of the filler neck. Never had any issues with fumes.

Attached Files:

22. I did mine as mentioned earlier (mustang tank, non vented cap and vent tube) however I added a simple roll over valve to the vent tube.

If the car should end up tires sky side, I didnt want the fuel leaking out possibly starting a fire.

23. Canada Jeff

Canada Jeff

So how do you keep metal shavings out of the tank when cutting the filler neck to re-route it? Do you have to drop and flush the tank after doing this?

I'm sure most guys just do this with the tank in the car and I'm just overthinking things again.

24. rdscotty

rdscotty
    from red deer

When I look at this picture, I would try to put a round gas door behind that round emblem on the side trim. It would be hidden but not hidden.

25. big57daddy

big57daddy

That's what I was thinking as well.

26. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

That could work, except that I won't have a '300' medallion on my car. ;)

[​IMG]

hot-rod 33 likes this.
  27. Ever thought about just reshaping the filler door? I've been thinking about doing this on my Buick.. -Nick

28. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Since the filler takes up space inside the trunk anyhow and there is the chance of a spill while filling what about taking a Metal Ammo can and using a hole saw to cut a hole in the bottom to fit around the filler neck in the trunk floor and bolting it to the floor? Splash catcher that can have a drain in it and the lid has a gasket to seal it off from the inside of the trunk. Get rid of the green color though.

29. pgj

pgj
    from aurora co.

What year olds? cause i was looking at doing the exact same thing in my 64 jetstar,

30. blazedogs

blazedogs

Fuel Tanks
    I'm going with the cave man style for my latest car. Sealed gas cap vented to the outside of the car. BUT,as mentioned above by another member, is there a danger element with a possible fire by venting this way: if so what is the solution ?? Gene