Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Lakes pictures. P.R.C.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by woodiemike, Sep 19, 2014.

1. woodiemike

woodiemike
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Awesome story Dave, thanks!!! Do you think that was considered "war booty"? HA! Have a visual of him trying to sneak it home in his duffel bag!

Stogy, volvobrynk and 296ardun like this.
  2. woodiemike

woodiemike
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Bill;
    Glad you are still getting some mileage out of the DVD's! Awesome!! Like I said...I knew that Ajay would get ya! Stay in touch.

Stogy likes this.
  3. wedjim

wedjim
    from Kissimmee

Seeing you guys using mechanical brakes helps me realize I shouldn't take the "why aren't you running disc brakes," crowd too seriously.

4. firingorder1

firingorder1

I saw this today. Pretty cool. Some very interesting machines.

Stogy, Pufff, 63fdsnr and 1 other person like this.
  5. wedjim

wedjim
    from Kissimmee

Wow, that video is cool! I want to get the link to share it on my Facebook page!

Stogy likes this.
  6. firingorder1

firingorder1

Wedjim. Click on the youtube icon on the video and you'll find a link.

Stogy likes this.
  7. flyin-t

flyin-t

firingorder1, thanks for the link! Fantastic footage.

Stogy likes this.
  8. woodiemike

woodiemike
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Wow Bill.....thanks for posting that video!! Very cool! Don't know where you got it from, but thank you. After watching it a couple of times, it just seems to make the pictures in the thread "come to life"!! Fits perfect here.

Stogy likes this.
  9. woodiemike

woodiemike
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I always remember an "old timer" once told me brakes were "over-rated"!!??:confused:o_O

Stogy, wedjim and volvobrynk like this.
  10. firingorder1

firingorder1

Thought you'd like it Mike. Kinda gives your fantastic photos a 3rd. dimension. Found it on FB.

Stogy likes this.
  11. woodiemike

woodiemike
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Interesting note by Don regarding the no helmet. I find it very ironic that the rules required the driver to wear goggles, but not a helmet!! Obviously different times back then! I will re-post the rules [#18]. I also agree with OJ in the fact that it must have taken a lot of courage, and determination to go that fast. It must have felt like 240 in an open cockpit like that. They did have helmets then, and they were even able to rent them at the "Lakes". I will post an S.C.T.A. Club Duties where it shows the helmet rental. Maybe Don Montgomery can shed some light on this subject!! Going to also post a S.C.T.A. running plan of El Mirage that I think you will all enjoy. Also a few more pictures. As always, thanks for the comments, and enjoy. Keep the ball rolling!!!

scan0015.jpg scan0016.jpg scan0074.jpg img019.jpg img020.jpg IMG_1357.JPG IMG_1362.JPG IMG_1363.JPG IMG_1365.JPG IMG_1366.JPG

63fdsnr, Stogy, Retroline and 6 others like this.
  12. ml_engr

ml_engr

Too cool. Thanks for sharing. I like how the clubs had a responsibility to manage the event. I am also impressed with the number of clubs...

Stogy likes this.
  13. 296ardun

296ardun

Mike, another home run set of pictures!...Thanks for posting, these tell so much about our history.....I may be forgetting something, but seem to remember that the SCTA didn't require helmets until 1948, though pictures from earlier years show drivers wearing them....it is also funny to see Don Blair without a helmet, because in later years he became a real safety advocate. His sprint car was one of the first to get a roll bar back in '56, and I think his earlier track roadsters may also have had roll bars when most cars did not.....

Stogy likes this.
  14. firingorder1

firingorder1

The clubs still do run the events. There's just a lot less clubs and responsibilities have changed somewhat.

Stogy likes this.
  15. oj

oj

Very nice, thanks for posting. Because of this and a few other period threads I recognized a good number of those cars. It looked like there were passengers in some of the time runs or did they have a period of 'warm up' passes?
    Who was that in the Bugatti?

Stogy likes this.
  16. wedjim

wedjim
    from Kissimmee

I'm not getting a YouTube icon when I watch it, but I'm off to search it out! Gotta have it!

Stogy likes this.
  17. firingorder1

firingorder1

Wedjim. If you look at the page you'll see the youtube logo in the bottom right hand corner. Click on it.

Stogy likes this.
  18. wedjim

wedjim
    from Kissimmee

Haha, no logo shown on my iPad....

I found this while looking though.

Stogy, lothiandon1940 and Outback like this.
  19. firingorder1

firingorder1

Maybe slightly out of place but not that far.

20. woodiemike

woodiemike
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Great footage Bill....thanks for posting

Stogy likes this.
  21. woodiemike

woodiemike
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Going to post an interesting article by Wally Parks regarding the possibility of a new strip/location that the S.C.T.A. was looking into. Apparently with the increased speeds, and the deterioration of the El Mirage lake bed, they were looking into other venues. Maybe Don Montgomery or others out there can elaborate? Also has a picture of the Kurtis Kraft Sports Car driven by Wally Parks, and a picture of the Spalding Bros. car. Also posting a few misc. pictures before I get back to the "END" of the photo album.:( Thank you to all for the comments. Enjoy. img021.jpg IMG_1367.JPG IMG_1368.JPG IMG_1380.JPG IMG_1382.JPG IMG_1384.JPG IMG_1385.JPG IMG_1386.JPG IMG_1387.JPG IMG_1388.JPG IMG_1389.JPG IMG_1390.JPG IMG_1391.JPG

63fdsnr, Lil'Alb, Retroline and 4 others like this.
  22. Rockerhead

Rockerhead
    Member Emeritus

Hi Mike
    I really cannot add much to the purposed lakes strip reference in the 1949 SCTA program. I do remember when that was proposed. Since I was in the Russetta Timing Assn, a rival association to the SCTA, we always were a little dubious of the proposed "lakes" facility and the $10 charged to each SCTA member. In the end nothing happened.

Naturally we all wondered what happened to the MONEY that was collected for the proposed strip.

With hindsight SCTA had about 300 - 400 members then, so assuming all of them paid (questionable) the total could be about $3000 to $4000. That was a goodly amount back then but probably not near enough to put in a racing facility.
    It is important to remember that dry lakes participation had peaked in 1947 so by 1949 it was already in decline and the interest in developing a racing facility in the high desert was fading away. Perhaps in the end, that fact doomed the project.

Regardless, credit should be given for the efforts back then by Wally Parks, Ak Miller and the others.

Disclaimer - Many of us Russetta members did not think much of the ability to build this, so this explains my bias.
    It is good history
    Don

Stogy likes this.
  23. firingorder1

firingorder1

I've been looking at the lake map. Tickles me that the SCTA could take over virtually the whole lake bed. And the layout is so different to today. And reading about the condition of the lake bed shows how things don't change! With little or no rain these past few winters we have been very lucky to have a lake bed to race on.

Plus. This place sucks. This thread is the only thread here worth a damn. Once it disappears down the line the search function isn't doing its job. No way can I get this thread to show up on search. I get all kinds of garbage. "Should my '57 have three spinners on the hubcaps or four?"

kidcampbell71, flyin-t and Carter like this.
  24. What keywords are you using to search? Using "P.R.C." brings it up - top of the heap. "Lakes Pictures" it's the 3rd result listed...

Stogy likes this.
  25. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

The search function on the app sucks big time!!! Don't use my laptop that much anymore, but in my iPhone I just goes to safari, in to Google: search what I want as a little HAMB at the end. Search, push the link from JJ "more from this site. Remove HAMB, and search again. And all I ever needed comes up, this ain't the only good one, but it's in my personal top five. And it's yo-yo-ing between 1 and 5 all the time.

But NEVER want to the non important favorites list!! Ever!!!

26. woodiemike

woodiemike
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thank you so much for your reply Don. As always, your insight and first hand knowledge are invaluable!! I thought it was an interesting article just from the point of such an ambitious project. I mean, I would think that would have been a very ambitious project for the times. As you have said...give credit where credit is due. At least they were willing to give it a try. Also did not realize that the Associations were "rivals". Hopefully friendly!!

Stogy likes this.
  27. woodiemike

woodiemike
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Here are a few more for all of your viewing pleasure.

IMG_1409.JPG IMG_1410.JPG IMG_1411.JPG IMG_1413.JPG IMG_1414.JPG IMG_1419.JPG IMG_1416.JPG Negative - 105.jpg IMG_1417.JPG

Lil'Alb, Stogy, Retroline and 7 others like this.
  28. I never get bored of these photos. Thank you so much for sharing

Stogy likes this.
  29. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

X2!!

Stogy likes this.
  30. KKrod

KKrod

Mike, I really enjoy the photos. This is the ultimate 40's hot rod dash setup in a model a.

[​IMG]