Register now to get rid of these ads!

History 64/65 Comets old drag cars lets see pictures

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by apound, Feb 17, 2009.

1. ec164

ec164
    from MI

Great video I watched over on Comet Central, I like the white and red................Al

2. SIX GUN

SIX GUN

3. ec164

ec164
    from MI

65COMET likes this.
  4. 65COMET

65COMET

I FINALLY got my engine back together and fired/tuned up! It sounds crisp,now to finish the new hood!! ROY.

ec164 and zombie289 like this.
  5. ClearSpot

ClearSpot
    from Michigan

Roy,That is good to hear! What kind of hood modification are you planning?
    Myron

ec164 likes this.
  6. 65COMET

65COMET

Myron;I put a BOSS 429 repop scoop on a stock hood.I needed clearance above my carb,only had about 1/2 to 3/4 inch before with the Crites twin scoop! I want to get some passes on it this way before I get in painted,to see if it works! ROY.

7. loudbang

loudbang

1947knuck likes this.
  8. Analog Dog

Analog Dog
    from Utah

Please post pictures of the new engine and hood! What CR are you running with the new engine?

9. 65COMET

65COMET

Steve;engine combination is still the same,I had a bent valve.I had the heads redone,new valves,seats,springs and retainers,keepers,guides,seals and lash caps.I also had the heads and intake mildly ported and matched!I currently still have no way of posting photos! ROY.

roosters hot rods likes this.
  10. Glad to hear motor is back together Roy. To bad on not being able to post pics. I bought a Boss 429 hood scoop for my comet many years back. Sold it as I thought I was going to buy a crities hood. I bolted the cougar hood scoop on last summer. Need to cut out the opening and lighten the stock hood. Not going to the June race now as I leave for California the following week. Front end is back together now need to align properly.
    What do you guys set your front end to as toe in. My toe in is not right at speed.
    Roger

11. 65COMET

65COMET

Roger;I have my front end set with 4 degrees positive castor [helps it go straight] and only 1/8" of toe-in! The front end shop I use sets my COMET up for how it is used,not by some chart! It also has limiters on the suspension to keep the front tires straight [look at a picture of my COMET]! ROY.

ec164 likes this.
  12. I have been looking at pics of your comet with the wheels in the air and they looked like they are pointed perfect. Mine not so, that is the next fix on my list. I feel it is scrubbing some of my speed. Thanks Roy.
    Roger

13. Analog Dog

Analog Dog
    from Utah

What brand of valve train did you use? I'm running a mix of brands; Erson cam, lifters, valve springs, retainers and keepers. Crane push rods and roller rockers. Manley guide plates. TRW 1.94/1.60 stainless steel head, chrome stem, swirl polished valves. Fully ported and polished C6OE-M heads and Hedman 88300 headers. Took the Edelbrock Torker off and am going to put on a Victor Jr. Still deciding on a carb. I want to use a Holley 850 CFM DP.

14. 65COMET

65COMET

Steve;sorry to take so long to respond,was in No.CA. at my Grand Daughters College Graduation and got home late last [Sunday] night! I run ported Edelbrock aluminum Victor heads,one piece valves,Harland-Sharp roller rockers,rocker stud girdle,Crane Solid roller and lifters,Manton custom pushrods,titanium retainers on triple springs,Edelrock /Glidden intake with a Pro-Systems/Holley 1050 Dominator.I ran a similar [as yours] setup on my 289,be careful of those two piece valves,I've had them come apart,causes severe damage!! ROY.

15. Analog Dog

Analog Dog
    from Utah

Edelbrock/Glidden intake?? Where did you find that? And what one piece valves would you recommend for 7,000 rpm on my .030 over 289? I'm using 12.5 to 1 TRW pistons....

16. Analog Dog

Analog Dog
    from Utah

We are right in the middle of replacing the custom black button diamond tuck interior with a completely stock black 1964 Cyclone interior. One more package from A/FX Dave this Wednesday and we will have everything we need for the transformation. A big thank you to A/FX Dave! Without him this would not have been possible! IMG_0665.JPG

loudbang and powrshftr like this.
  17. 65COMET

65COMET

Steve;the intake is right out of Edelbrock's catalogue,made for 351W,it is a TALL single plane,no T-Stat housing,set up for individual water lines.I have a Victor Jr. for a 289/302,$100 plus the ride!! I would suggest ANY one piece valve that will fit,not sure of brands! ROY.

Last edited: May 23, 2015
    loudbang likes this.
  18. FB_IMG_1432217586730.jpg finally able to post a pic of my comet in action

19. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

20. 65COMET

65COMET

Big Mike;KOOL!!! Care to tell us about it? ROY.

21. 65COMET

65COMET

Ken;post up some video of your COMET from the A/FX show in Colorado!!!! ROY.

22. Roy, I had the car for over twenty years. Been working on it here and there. Started for the first time Friday at 4, loaded it on the trailer and went to Eagle Field ( 1/8th mile), made 10 passes. All straight and true. Car hooked extremely well (homemade traction master/cal trac). SBC ( air cleaner says 289), t350 tranny, narrowed nine inch (by me), strange spool and axles. Narrowed jeep front axle (by me, had alttle help though), jeep front springs, Mickey Thompson ET Street tires. I still have a lot to do before the next Eagle Field. I do plan on running it at the mooneyes xmas show

23. Analog Dog

Analog Dog
    from Utah

Ran into the first problem...(I'm sure it's not the last)...Anybody know where to get the front bucket seat levelers that attach to the rear of the seat mounts?

24. 65COMET

65COMET

Steve;I looked for mine,guess they went away! They were just hard rubber spacers with a hole in the middle,shouldn't be too hard to make!! ROY.

loudbang likes this.
  25. motorntv

motorntv
    from Kansas

These Mercury Comets were very cool.

65COMET likes this.
  26. 65COMET

65COMET

I broke the 3-4 shift finger [AGAIN] on my Jerico at Irwindale,then when I went to unload the COMET the starter died,WTF!!! Really going to investigate the situation,this is #4 and it was a custom made billet piece with only FOUR passes!!!

27. SIX GUN

SIX GUN

Roy:
    Do you think the case is getting worn-out causing a bind on the lever, when
    I took my Jerico out I noticed mine felt a-little loose in the case...

Last edited: May 30, 2015
  28. 65COMET

65COMET

Scott;that is on my list of things to check! I have checked it in the past,really going to check it closely this time.I also want to check that the shifter is pulling the arm straight back,not cocking it to one side,causing a bind.Going to check everything associated with 3-4 shifting! ROY.

zombie289 likes this.
  29. Muttley

Muttley

I ran across this on YouTube and thought you guys might be interested:

loudbang likes this.