Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Best way to shave 1956 Chevy deck lid?

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Strittan, May 12, 2015.

1. Strittan

Strittan
    from Sweden

After a lot of searching I finally found a Nomad rear bumper so now it's time to shave the deck lid on my '56. I haven't quite figured out how get into the trunk once the lock is removed though. Any ideas/experiences out there?

I'm thinking wire mechanism of some sort, but that's about it.

2. greybeard360

greybeard360

Either use a cable that runs inside of the car or use a solenoid with a button inside of the car.
    Downside to that is if your battery is dead.... you can't open the trunk.

3. Jim636

Jim636
    from Wyandotte

A cable is what I used on my Fleetline....

4. Roger O'Dell

Roger O'Dell

"T" handle cable open tail light to pull

5. Canada Jeff

Canada Jeff

My car also uses a pull-cable to trip the latch, but it is sort of "inverted" so the latch mechanism is on the body and just the striker loop is on the deck lid. This means your cable routes to a fixed point and does not need extra flex or play to accommodate the deck lid movement, and can be more easily hidden.

Late model junk yard cars often have small, easy to adapt trunk latches already set up for cable actuation. Probably easier than trying to fiddle with what's there now.

6. 2000 Ford Ranger hood latch mounted just like Canada Jeff said with the cable pull under the car behind the bumper and an emergency one inside behind the seat, ( in case the first cable breaks.)

7. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My 91 Geo Prism has a cable to the truck that operates with a lift lever at the base of the seat. Dead nuts reliable and something similar would be easy to find in most pick a part yards. You would probably have to locate the handle at the base of the rear seat though.

Mopar mini van electric latches are pretty reliable at least the one on my wife's old van was before she totaled the van. Hit the button and pop the lid.

8. Strittan

Strittan
    from Sweden

Thanks for the replies guys, much appreciated.

I'll go for a cable routed to the tail light, but not sure if I'll invert the latch yet.

9. raymay

raymay

Wander around a junkyard to check out some latch ideas. Over 20 years ago I used a Subaru setup on a few cars. They are still working great. I found them to be compact, easy to install and can be controlled by a cable and/or a simple hidden rod located behind or under the rear bumper.
    IMG_5528.JPG IMG_5529.JPG

Last edited: May 13, 2015
  10. Choke cable into the back seat is easiest. or you could go all street rod and use an electric door opener.

I saw one once with a frenched license plate and the opener was under the plate. Used a plate like a '60s car that was on a spring loaded hinge, you pulled the plate and it popped the trunk.

11. pgj

pgj
    from aurora co.

I just did my olds last week, used a autoloc solenoid kit with a button under the dash. ran an external cable out the wiring grommet behind the rear bumper for back-up.

Model T1 likes this.
  12. Model T1

Model T1

Yep probably electric doors and trunk were at the top of the custom mods.
    Also any 1956 Chevy station wagon rear bumper will do. Don't have to be a Nomad. In fact for a custom a 55 wagon bumper will do.