Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical NOS Vintage cloth auto wiring with shielded flex metal, what was it used for?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by F&J, May 12, 2015.

1. F&J

F&J

Old time restorer gave me some 1930's-40's vintage cloth auto wiring. One spool is small gauge with a flexible steel armored covering or shielding. He is 82 and can't recall what it was for.

I know I've seen it on some old unrestored antique cars before, but I can't recall where in the harness, it was used. I want to say gas tank sender, but I probably am wrong. Any ideas?

DSCN0306 (Large).JPG

2. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

I've see it on exposed routings like to a Sportlite or accessory instrument light.

3. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Looks like BX..:rolleyes:..Military used metal external shielding for I think to limit radio interference for high voltage currents like spark plug wires, just a thought..

4. F&J

F&J

This wire is quite small. I guess I should try to measure the copper strand to see what gauge it is, then figure how much amps. Judging on the appearance of all the other spools, the cloth is very old/faded ...maybe 1920s or 30s?

I am bummed about my memory; (maybe from Lyme) I would think a "correct" suggestion would ring a bell....but instead I hear lots of other things :) I think I recall what Bruce said about vintage driving lamps, that I saw on Hershey showcars... big 1929-32 classic cars with fancy brand driving lamps...but I thought the cable was chromed and a slightly bigger diameter.

DSCN0307 (Large).JPG

5. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

The shiny things are stainless or chrome conduit, as on '28-32 Ford headlights. The jacketed wire like you have was originally a bit shinier than yours is now, like cadmium plated or such. I know it was used on Unity Sportlights, and I think on some other accessories that had wire hanging out in the open.

6. Paul

Paul
    Editor

A single wire inside, or multiple?

7. F&J

F&J

Bruce, the shiny ones on those big classic cars at Hershey years ago, I want to say I recall the driving light wires were maybe 1/4" or a bit less. Not like typical sized headlight stainless conduits. I sure don't doubt what you say about Unity wires. It's my brain telling me I saw armored thin wire "somewhere" on some old barn find I've worked on in the last 40 years. I almost recall it being unraveled and hanging out the firewall, or who knows.

Maybe I'm wrong on that............I've worked on cars from 1907-up including oddball makes, cheap cars and some bigger dollar stuff.

Paul, it is single strand. It is very small gauge as far as "6 volt" goes, I will get a measurement.

8. BJR

BJR

For wiring after market driving lights and fog lights.

9. ROADSTER1927

ROADSTER1927

To theft proof old ignition switches, like my 40 Pontiac? Gary

Hemi Joel and firstinsteele like this.
  10. I have seen it on switch to coil on some cars from '30s and early '40s.

Ben

Hemi Joel likes this.
  11. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Similar wire was used on ignition of some cars to prevent "hot wiring" and cutting wires.

It could also be house wiring, if it is single conductor wire it is house wiring, cars use fine stranded.

12. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Ha ha 3 of us with the same answer at the same time. I got to type faster lol. Have seen 2 answers the same at 1 time but not 3.

13. 56premiere

56premiere
    from oregon

firstinsteele is right. coil to switch.

14. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

15. 56premiere

56premiere
    from oregon

4 typing at the same time

16. Rod Ari

Rod Ari
    from Finland

I have seen bunch of that kind of wires going through restored quality mark American car grille fom late 20's. I think there had been similar ones originally. Maybe lights, horn etc.

17. F&J

F&J

I went to look at the wire spool again. It is marked in pencil " # 14 ", very old style script handwitten.

it is fine braided copper inside, single conductor.

Ok, so I will use it for coils... as I don't have any cars with driving lights.. Thanks

18. F&J

F&J

Like horns on this kind of car I have?

DSCN0309 (Medium).JPG

19. Rod Ari

Rod Ari
    from Finland

We actually have that car on our company. I try to remember check that out. Few pics would't neither hurt anybody;). I hope I am not too busy to forget.

20. DanMann

DanMann

I realize this is an old post, but may have the answer. I came across this post looking for some shielded cable that was used on old gensets to ground the ignition to shut the engine off. I am sure it had other applications. I believe my 38 Plymouth uses it for one of the gauges.
    I found one reference that it was Electric Autolite Co #103027, 16 gauge
    If the diameter is approximately .135 I could use about a foot and a half of it for a restoration I am working on.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2022
  21. DanMann

DanMann

Does anyone know of a vendor that carries the armored wire like the OP posted at the top?

22. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

You'll get fined for turning in burned copper around here , pollution laws

23. Garpo

Garpo

Armoured cable was common in the early 'electric' era when rubber insulation was not the best for durability. Was used by Hudson / Essex til the early '30s.Also tail circuits on some '20s GM makes. Plus others.
    Stocked by Brillmans.

24. dwollam

dwollam

Dodge Brothers used it to tail lights in the 20's

Dave

25. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

I have a couple rolls. It can be found in the Mac`s catalog. Used in wiring running along the frame rails in 30`s Mopars.