Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Paint question again

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by chainsaw, May 11, 2015.

1. My truck is shot in ppg ss urathane solid orange. I ordered ss cream to do a two tone. Shot it and found out they gave me base coat. I probably cant get back to this till Sept. When it cools off . Can I just scuff the base and shoot clear ? If so what grit ? Will it look wrong being ss with bc/ cc on the two tone or should I just go back with single stage ? This is my 2nd paint job, trying to keep it as simple as possible, I've only shot single stage. ImageUploadedByTJJ1431395118.587656.jpg

2. Check with your supplier-but I recently sprayed a PPG single stage that had a compatible clear. The concept was you could either spray over base coat,single stage or as an integrated clear with single stage.
    I think you should be fine with a bc/cc on the white-don't think it will look odd or mis-matched texture wise if that is your concern.
    I would not leave the masking paper on until September though-peel it off and re-mask when you are ready to finish the job

loudbang likes this.
  3. Master of None

Master of None

If you don't clear basecoat(DBC) in 24 hrs you have to scuff and reapply more color then clear.I have gotten away with using a gray scotch bright on solid colors.The only real difference you may notice in the two is the sheen and depth of the bc/cc vs the single stage.

4. Listen to Asphalt Angle, don't leave that tape on till Sept. Ask me how I know.lol.Bruce.

5. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Just sand it and add 1 more base coat as suggested then clear it. You can sand with 1200 and plenty of water but don't panic when it loads up on the paper a bit. That's normal, but don't continue too far with those "stones" on the paper as it will leave scratches. You have to use your ears as well as your eyes. If you hear that squeak under the paper clean it off or switch sides. Plenty of flushing with water will ease the task, and yes you'll make a helluva mess of white water.

40fordtudor likes this.
  6. Thanks guys, the paint shop will mix me the white single stage for free since it was their mistake. I guess I'll go that route since I used all the base up. Just thought I was going to be done with this, guess not. And yes all the tape is off.

7. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

Its already too hot to paint? use some high temp reducer and squirt away.

8. I'm using a turbine system which makes the air out of the hose hotter then it is outside.

9. Master of None

Master of None

If your using DCC single stage, you could sand both the orange and white(after youapply more white) and clear it with DCU2021. It uses the same reducers and hardeners as the single stage. It also buffs really well, and makes for a really durable finish. Have you tried DT895 reducer? its super slow and I've had great luck with it in Iowa's surprisingly hot summers.

10. Great color combo, by the way.