Register now to get rid of these ads!

History What is the quintessential American GT-C?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jive-Bomber, May 12, 2015.

1. Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber submitted a new blog post:

What is the quintessential American GT-C?

[​IMG]

Continue reading the Original Blog Post

2. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

In my opinion, it's not even a conversation. The '65 Riviera was so far ahead from both a styling and a performance perspective. In fact, I consider it the best American car ever made.

1927graham, Mai Ki-Ki and Baumi like this.
  3. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Interesting question, but I'd have limited my selections to slightly smaller cars. When I think of 50's GTs, Ferrari, Jaguar, Austin Martin and Maseratti coupes come more to mind so I'd be looking at American cars more that size. I'm not sure what 50's American cars would qualify, but in the 60's a pristine Riviera could ring my bell. But I'd also include some smaller, Pony or mid-sized vehicles if they were true hard tops. Gary

tevintage likes this.
  4. Healeykid

Healeykid

I always thought maybe a 63 Buick Wildcat or Thunderbird could make a good GT car.

5. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

There are no losers on the list. But for me, the '56 300B is head and shoulders above the rest. It's a factory hot rod, and a factory custom, with masterful proportions and subtle design touches. My favorite American car.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

rottenpop, afaulk, madfish and 8 others like this.
  6. I would immediately add the Bullet Birds (61-3). Other years have their fans, but those pointed fenders, after burner tail lights, fin-lettes, and semi-formal roof just work so well with a little trim shave and an altitude adjustment.

7. 1957 Studebaker Golden Hawk. Light, fast, just too bitchin' styling! Speed Age magazine tested the Golden Hawk against the Chrysler 300 B, a T-Bird and Corvette in 1957 and the Golden Hawk out-performed the others comfortably in both 0-60 mph acceleration and quarter mile times. The fastest 0-60 was 7.8 seconds, while top speeds were 125 mph plus. I prefer the 53 Starlight coupe looks, (since i own one) but the supercharged 57' Stude engine with 275 HP is hard to ignore.

8. ynottayblock

ynottayblock

Hands down winner is the Lincoln Mark II. In fact I consider it the best American car ever made. You wouldn't even have to customize it...its perfect from the factory

B Bay Barn likes this.
  9. keywestjack

keywestjack
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Pittsburgh

I agree, especially the second generation T-Bird (square bird).

charleyw likes this.
  10. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

That is a tough one. For me, either the Continental Mark II (not a Lincoln, BTW) or the Riviera. A friend of mine has a '56 Continental in his shop right now; the sheer number of vacuum hoses on the thing is a nightmare. Those cars had some convoluted engineering for sure.

11. froghawk

froghawk

Given the definition and choices presented rationality dictates the '65 Riviera. Make mine a GS. Great styling and perfect proportions with a more powerful version of my favorite V8.

Irrationality dictates that I'd give it up in a heartbeat for a '61 Bonneville coupe with four-speed and tri-power or a stick shift Chrysler 300F (1960, either the fragile three-speed or the Pont-a-Mousson four speed.)

acerods likes this.
  12. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

I know it's not HAMB friendly but I would add the '68 Lincoln Mark III. It was surly a factory custom.
    Gary

13. Nice car.

14. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

Greatest? I'd agree the Riv is great.
    Contenders? Runners up?
    Any Cadillac Eldorado
    Studebaker Champions, Commanders, and Hawks
    Packard Caribbean
    Stutz Blackhawk

keywestjack likes this.
  15. typo41

typo41
    Member Emeritus

Wellll, I can't afford a 63 Rivie, but did own a runner up Bullet Bird, Stude's remind me of Bonneville, the Lincoln is way out there in price and finding one. But if I had to pare down the 'collection' and have one on the list,,,,,
    It would HAVE to be the Rivie.

16. HRS

HRS

Lots of great options...but only one king...any Coupe Deville...

17. flamingokid

flamingokid

The Riviera reigns supreme,with the 61-63 Thunderbird being a very close second.

18. lowlinc

lowlinc

Im a big Rivi Fan but Also a Huge Lincoln guy, First car was a Lincoln and I have it Tattoo'd on me haha. I'm a Sucker for the Mark II conti's.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Hotdoggin DaddyO and volvobrynk like this.
  19. Deadbird

Deadbird

I like the Rivy. The bullet birds would be a close second. We have a 62 t-bird sitting in the drive now. The more I look at it, the more I like it.

20. You have to include both the 'Squarebirds' and 'Bulletbirds'... after all, the Riv was GMs first answer to their market success (followed later by the '69 Grand Prix and '70 Monte Carlo).

21. Wildcycles

Wildcycles

From this list, the '65 Riviera is "IT"... I remember going with my dad to look at one that was for sale. It was white with what dad called "Ox blood red" interior. The car was bone stock, but had that low stance and almost chopped appearance to the roofline. the doors were big and heavy, but the car was so sleek from every angle. We took it for a test drive and I'll never forget staring at that interior... that cool dash, the console and brightwork. Then there was the power and sound of that big V-8. For whatever reason, dad didn't buy the car and I remember dreaming about it for some time afterwards. A few years later, dad bought a '71 boat tail riviera. It was a great car too, but nothing like that '65!

22. slowmotion

slowmotion

Ok, I'll be the oddball. From the list, I'd take the Grand Prix, and I'm not even a Poncho guy. In fact I'm a little amused it was even considered. Less refined, less plush, less sleek, (than the king Rivi especially) etc, but still classy. Maybe even a little rough around the edges compared to the others. But that's why I like it. Dressed in black with a 421 and 4 speed it could go from a stately gentleman to a pissed off brawler, with one down-shift and a mash of the go-pedal.:eek::D

acerods and Spoggie like this.
  23. Swede64

Swede64

My thoughts exactly.

acerods likes this.
  24. seatex

seatex

From the list, Rivi with a close second in the Conti

25. That's a big statement given ALL the cars made thru the years. But, yeah, that Rivi was leaps and bounds above quite a lot of the others. That's for sure

26. bbobster

bbobster
    from Oklahoma

How could you overlook the 1963 Studebaker Avanti? Styling ahead of its time, seats four comfortably, has luggage space and will run off and leave any of the cars you mentioned!

hansboomer and lewk like this.
  27. keywestjack

keywestjack
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Pittsburgh

Damn I forgot all about the Packard Caribbean
    Packard.jpg

hansboomer likes this.
  28. Agree with you Gotgas. Definitely one of the nicest cars ever built.

acerods likes this.
  29. catdad49

catdad49

OK. Thought about this for a while and of the cars on the list it's the Riv for me. First one I saw, I thought it had been customized. Poured through some of my mags(no internet at time) and realized that it was created that way!! I'm with bbobster on the Avanti as a close second as a buddy's uncle had an R-2 and took a few rides in it. I can still hear the rumble!

30. hansboomer

hansboomer
    from new york

I'm going completely off the reservation here.
    I like the 63 Riv better than the 65, even with the ugly fake vents in the side. The headlights and taillights on the 63 just look better to me. The best Tbird is the 1986 with he 5 liter, and the best Continental is the Mark VII LSC, which was a seriously advanced car for 1982. The Mark II is a pretty oddly proportioned car when you see them now. The best looking Studebaker is the 53 Starlight coupe. I'll take a 300H as well, just because my father had a 63 Newport coupe when I was in high school. I lot of great memories went to the junkyard in that one.
    My 1970 Camaro RS was sweet, and the best driving American car you could get back then.

hans

63fdsnr likes this.