Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Needing help from Austin Tx

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by mrobvious34, May 3, 2015.

1. mrobvious34

mrobvious34
    from Canyon, TX

sorry to post this on the hamb but I am having a hard time finding info else where. I am about to move to Austin from Amarillo and I am trying to find a shop for rent somewhere in Austin. I have 4 cars plus a daily that I would like to take down with me but at the very least I will be taking my roadster so I am looking for something that can fit between 1 to 4 cars. doesn't have to be the nicest place but I also don't want a car port with plastic tarps for walls. I don't want a storage building because most of them don't allow you to work on your cars. I will be living off of mopac and duvall close to the domain, so something close to there would be best but I am keeping my options open. If anyone knows of a good place that might have shops for rent please let me know, with any info you have.

Thank you

and once again I hate to post this on here but im not sure where else to look, and I am not super familiar with Austin yet. I have driven around looking, searched craigslist and websites with no luck.

2. Not that this helps ... but Bergstrom Airport is just southwest of there (5 to 7 miles). Been a decade plus .. but drive through that bit if you can ... I'm sure there are still a bunch of candidates throughout that area. Also, Austin being Austin, hit the Craigster-list always. Urban rentals frequently pop up, with hopefully a cool spot for you to rest and play with your cars. If you get lucky, you may well even find a space that doubles as a residence. I loved Austin ! Used to bartend at a place called The Drink ... and at the time I had a really gritty cool loft/work space off of Brazos that I called home. Literally a 1600 sq ft insulated warehouse with an apartment and skylights. Good luck, they're out there.

stillrunners likes this.
  3. TexasHardcore

TexasHardcore
    from Austin-ish

Shop rent is overpriced in Austin as is anything else around here. Occasionally a small shop will turn up for under $1000/mo, but that's usually too high for a hobby garage, at least for me it is. I live North, close to where you will be living, and work NW. I have been searching for a house with a big garage or an affordable shop for 3 months and finally gave up. Almost moved to San Antonio where it's affordable, but then I found a house on Lake Travis and will be moving in June. I agree with Anderson, live south-work south, live north-work north...Trekking through town is a major pain in the ass.

There are a bunch of small shops off North Lamar near Braker, you might be able to find something over there. There are warehouses and some smaller shops off Metric that might have something. Sometimes a shop will pop up in Cedar Park or Leander, which would be easier to get back and forth from than going south. Most anything south or east will be taken up by artsy types. I spend my days driving through town to various job sites, so I'll keep my eyes open for ya.

Good luck
    Jeremy

stillrunners likes this.
  4. mrobvious34

mrobvious34
    from Canyon, TX

I appreciate the responses, and I agree it is very expensive in Austin. I did manage to find one place about 3 blocks from where I will be. It is a 30x20 for $650 a month which is the cheapest thing I've found but still a lot for a hobby garage. I can get a 30x40 for 400 a month where I currently live so it is hard to believe the price differences from here and there

5. 55styleliner

55styleliner

Look out in Liberty Hill, just north of Hwy 29 on 183 there is a guy that rents space for $.50/ft.

6. mrobvious34

mrobvious34
    from Canyon, TX

I will have to go by there, thanks 55