Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects '62 Opel Kapitän

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by CheapSheep, Apr 28, 2015.

1. Maverick Daddy

Maverick Daddy

Madfish, how bout a sedan delivery????

volvobrynk likes this.
  2. Those are big cars. My mom had a cadet once and when I looked at the thread title that is what I was thinking a cadet sized car.

There is a lot can be done with a car like that big one.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  3. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

Did your mother have a cadet, how did your dad feel about that? LOL

The Kadett was the smallest, then Record, then Kaptain and largest was Admiral. Admiral came as an V8. Admiral as a six, record as a 4, kadett was 4 too.

The Kadett and record was popular as caravan, the Opel name for st. Cars. But even more so as vans. What you call sedan deliveries. Because of our tax systems.
    Nice little cars.

I though the kadett would be to tight around the waist line, being smaller then a falcon.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  4. AndersF

AndersF

It was first the next bodystyle when Admiral where introduced.
    The Kapitain hade benchseat, Admiral buckets and the model with
    V8 was Diplomat. It was a chevy 283 under the hood.
    But they share the same body.

5. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

Yes my bad, but I was sure that there was a admiral V8 before the diplomat cane out. I believe the admiral 265. But I'm actually not that sure about the Opel's.
    There was also the commodore, but that too is next generation. But that is a record coupe, with a 6 instead of the banger.

6. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

Top reminds me of 4 door 59 ford,merc, edsel.

7. AndersF

AndersF

Now i got curios. It seems that you got right.
    If wikipedia is relaible they claim that you could order a Admiral with the V8
    from 65. (4,6 litre)

8. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

After your post I googled it, so I found the same as you. 4.6 is 283 and 5.4 should be 327.

9. I am not sure that either one of them was good at fidelity. :eek:

The Cadet was tiny for sure. But even though the Opel GT was a popular car whenever I think Opel I think Cadet (sp?) I remember that the muffler fell off of it and we just stuck a Harley muffler on it and didn't have to modify anything to do it.

I like the bigger opels, you never really saw them here. But the big cars are nice cars and one should be able to do a lot with one.

10. CheapSheep

CheapSheep

Man, I've been to bad att updating. Not too much has happened though, due to me catching som virus that's had me down for at week or two. Started making a new floor and since it's a unibody that inculdes new members under the floor. Since it's an Opel and this is Sweden, there were barely metal to measure the old ones. Made a new inner part for the left rocker. This is how it looked under the floor board.[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And this is after som cutting, bending and welding:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Since I dont have a garage ain I havn't cleaned out under the roof where I am supposed to work, I'm working outdoors, and kind of depending on the Swedish spring weather (picture English weather).
    But what the heck, the tickeling feeling in your body might not be electricity from the old ESAB welder. It could just as well be the joy of creating!

11. AndersF

AndersF

As the old slogan goes. All cars rusting but Opel got the Rekord.

volvobrynk likes this.
  12. Arkas

Arkas
    from Germany

Nice build you got there. Quite rare nowadays, even here in germany.

13. CheapSheep

CheapSheep

Sure is true... This is my third 60's Opel and by far the worst. Had an '63 Rekord, welded up wheelwells and quarter panels, and it was done, body-wise atleast. Then i had a '62 Rekord. Bought it from a bodyshop worker, so it was perfect.

Yes, quite rare here too! Many were destroyed by the "raggare" culture, the rockabillies or what I should say in English. They weren't known to take care of the cars, so to speak. This one has been pretty abused too, but not beyond saving. Atleast if your'e not a original restorer, which I am not!

14. CheapSheep

CheapSheep

Had some time yesterday to work a little on my build, making floor members.
    Since i dont have any metal cutting or bending machine, I work with my manual cutters, vise, hammer, plastic club and a piece of railway track.

[​IMG]

Welded in place. No rain yesterday, less tickling feelings in the fingers!
    After pic was taken, I cleaned up and straightened out the flanges of the member.
    [​IMG]

Also started making my cross beam from the frame to the rocker. Had to mow my lawn and paint the stairs in the house, so that was it for yesterday!
    [​IMG]

Working in my home workshop really makes me miss the good ol' days, when I was actually was a metal worker. I was a CNC operator, as well as doing manual work in mill and lathe, and welding before i moved into the office. Being a salesman in the industrial power transmission business is'nt that fun after all... Papers, drawings, phonecalls, eat lunch, repeat...

AndersF likes this.
  15. Gleid

Gleid
    from Norway

But now at least you can have it as a hobby, instead of having to do it all day long right? Of course having access to all that hardware is always nice though.

16. CheapSheep

CheapSheep

Well, the shop is still there so if i need it, it's free to use. We don't have tools and machinery for thin sheet metal though, 3/4" and up is what we work with.
    But what we do have is CNC lathes and a CNC mill. Plus manual machinery, so i can do what i need. Have done a lot of fun things there!

AndersF likes this.
  17. Opel

Opel
    from Germany

CheapSheep, here is some inspiration for your Opel threatment. As you see, this is an Rekord P2.

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 14, 2015