Register now to get rid of these ads!

What (over the counter) Rear (or front) shocks do you use ????

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Harms Way, Jun 25, 2011.

1. Harms Way

Harms Way

Alright,.... I am getting tired of the shipping cost of things when I only have a short order,.... Normally I would just call Speedway or someone else and just buy a pair of rear shocks,... But it seems to me we used to have a shock we would just go to the parts store for, that would work just wonderful on the rear of a 32 Chassis,..... and it looked and worked just like the ones that Speedway and everybody else sells,.....

It seems to me that it was for a Mopar of some sort,.. but I am not totally sure of that. Its a 32 chassis with a transverse spring, that will be going under an "A" coupe body.

So,.... If your cheap like me (not by desire,.. but necessity) :eek:,... what rear shocks do you go to the parts counter for ?????,.....
    Or even front shocks ?????

Help me out here guys,.. My remember'er is broken,.. but my forget'er is working in overdrive ! :cool:

Last edited: Jun 25, 2011
  2. Berky

Berky

3. Berky

Berky

BTW - You probably need code L1 for the upper and lower mounts.

4. Bad Daddy

Bad Daddy

Mine are Monroe shocks front and rear. Just don't have the part numbers handy.

5. Harms Way

Harms Way

Cool resource !,... I am starting to think it was the late 60's Jeep CJ's,.. Back before they were available from "Hot Rod stores",.. There was an article in one of the publications back in the 60's that had recommendations on what shocks would best work at the parts counter.

6. Harms Way

Harms Way

Those numbers would be great, if you could post them sometime. are your front shocks hooded ?

7. Bad Daddy

Bad Daddy

Hooded? If that means having a cover over the shaft coming out of the main shock body, yes.

8. Harms Way

Harms Way

Yep !,... thats what I meant. :)

I Just amended the title of this thread to include front un-hooded shocks,.. I already have the front shocks,... but a part number from the manufacturer would be great to keep written on the wall of the shop. :D

9. 23dragster

23dragster
    from U.S.

Not sure if this info is what you asked for but I'm using Carrera coilovers on the rear of my tbucket. They are 200 pounds per inch with about 5" travel, chromed, with adjustable pre-load. My rod weighs about 1,600 lbs. full of fuel and they seem to work very well for me.

10. yekoms

yekoms

I used Corvette rear shocks (70 something)for front and rear on the 34 coupe. Those Vettes had buggy springs. They sized the same as Pete& Jakes shocks. the bushings on one end needed to be changed for my homemade brackets so I bought one cheapy shock just to get the right size bushings from it.
    Smokey

Monroe SensaTrac #5850 gas shock

Last edited: Jun 25, 2011
  11. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

When Pete and Jake first started their shop they used the rear shocks off a '63-'67 Corvette. Later when they had them built the specs started out being the same. I've used these shocks on every hot rod I've build or helped build for the last 30+ years.

Frank

12. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

I had Pete and jakes short shocks on my T. My father in law had a 72 TnT by bombardier. Same shock on the front ski. Right down to the part number.

13. '63-'67 rear corvette are short with round eye ends and '63-'86 C10 front are 1/2" longer.

Corvette '63'-67 rear - Monroe 5850 and Gabriel 81880 (9.5 compressed/ 14.0 extended)
    C10 '63-'86 front - Monroe matics 33033 and Gabriel 81039 (10.25 compressed/ 14.38 ext)

14. We used to ask for '49 Plymouth shocks.

15. edwardlloyd

edwardlloyd
    from Germany

I use early 50s Mopar. They are short but have a long travel. Eyes with rubber bushings top and bottom are correct. They look good and work OK too. Think that's the same as the 49 Plymouth Rich mentioned, but they were used up to 52 or 53.

16. nobux

nobux

Last edited: Jan 25, 2015
  17. flux capacitor

flux capacitor

I use the old Monroe book at work every other day for this kinda stuff last 30 years, with car sitting full of fuel, weight , etc measure center to center of mounting points of your "A" then look at travel "compressed & extended" measurements in book making sure you have equal amounts both ways so they won't bottom out or jerk the shock out on rebound. The "L & S" chart will narrow your choices". If on a budget the Monroe matic has a cheaper exact same shock in the 20xxx series with a 4 year warranty instead of lifetime. Good luck! Flux

18. flux capacitor

flux capacitor

I'm not aware of too many "unhooded" apps , in Monroe book I fact Im not sure they're any? I use unhooded on my dirt modified & they can be mounted either way for clearance. Good luck again! Flux

19. The 5752 Monroe ('49 Plymouth) shock mentioned is hooded.

20. Harmsway
    I use Pete and Jakes unhooded shocks. Long ones in the front and short ones in the back. Long long ago I was told that these shocks were like the ones on a 50 Plymouth. Good luck on your search.

21. Brown Devil

Brown Devil
    from Mission Tx

Monroe 5752 on the rear of my 33 sedan and model a coupe they work very well. If you need them to be short make sure they are Monroe if you crossover to the Gabriel brand they are little longer.

22. flux capacitor

flux capacitor

Here's the old 1980s catalog info the 20xxx numbers still exist just got to ask for them & Monroe matic #'s .Sorry for the large pics, blurriness, and even though it's an old thread I figured this may be of some assistance, since it was resurrected, sometimes an old catalog pic is easier than navigating the web. Also included the old Jeep listing.
    image.jpg
    image.jpg
    image.jpg
    image.jpg
    image.jpg
    image.jpg
    doubt any are shielded, & once again yes I know somebody brought back up this old thread, just thought the info from old parts book n pics might be handy in the future! Flux

Last edited: Jan 26, 2015
  23. Austin Mini - very similar to the Pete and Jake's shocks but much, much cheaper;

[​IMG]

24. peeduh

peeduh
    from atx

Pretty cool thread, the link to the chart kicks ass and helpful!