Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Need Wheel Suggestions 63 Ford Fairlane

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Stormtron, May 5, 2015.

1. I think he is asking hot rod or custom, cruiser or street brawler.

I think personally that there are tire wheel combos that cross over when it comes to what type of car you got, like chromies for example. Then there are tire wheel combos that will never cross over like say halibrands on a custom of skinny pinners on a dragster.

granted perhaps that is just an opinion but it is mine and I value it very much. ;)

2. Bugguts

Bugguts

We have a 63 Fairlane and run 14" chrome rims with 215-70's on rear and skinnier on front. blackwall out. It was/is my 25 year old sons first car. Started it when he was 13. Cheap chrome rims were all he could afford at 16. They still look right today.

3. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

Attached Files:

4. frdsuperduty

frdsuperduty
    from Lewes De

Just picked up a 63 Fairlane wagon.It will be my wifes beach wagon.It came with 17" Coys.Same size front and back which just dosn't get it for me.Suspension changes will come first which leads me to ask what suspension changes have you made to your coupe?Im getting lots of help on the Fairlane club sight.Certainly worth the cost of membership.

5. Stormtron

Stormtron
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The rear suspension is stock and hasn't even been rebuilt. I did install air shocks to try to get the tail drag out of it. The front has a Mustang II from Rod and Custom Motorsports with 2" drop spindles. They specialize in suspension packages for mid-60s Fords. Their kit is very comprehensive. I have put about 45,000 miles on mine since I installed it in 2009 and I love it.

6. acadian_carguy

acadian_carguy

How about 14" Chrome reverse with with baby moons and thin white wall tires...

7. Stormtron

Stormtron
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I think my top two options are 15" chrome reverse with no caps and black walls or 15" Cragers also with black walls.

8. orangeamcs

orangeamcs

a

What the fuck is a theme cars don't have themes movies and plays have themes.

....esentially what is your vision for the rest of the car.

63fairlane likes this.
  9. bobby_Socks

bobby_Socks
    from ǑǃƕǑ

I vote for some Rebel Wheel Sprints or Real Rodders wheels. The attached picture is not of either but very similar.

farilane_Halibrands.JPG

10. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm glad to see that the "daisy" 200S was suggested. That was the 1st wheel that I'd thought of, also the as cast Torque Thrust. Hard to beat and superior to the Cragar in the looks dept. If chrome reverse (not a hateful choice) I hope you choose an "OEM" chrome vs a smoothie. Maybe it's just me but smoothies seem to have an "...all I can afford" look to them. Some folks love em but I think they almost look as cheap as those chrome wheels with the holes and phony bolts around the center. Another bitchin choice could be Ansen Sprint slotted aluminum.

63fairlane likes this.
  11. Have you made a decision? HRP

12. Stormtron

Stormtron
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I think I am going to try out the Chrome reverse if there is still a set available in my club's newsletter. If that is not the case, probably Cragar SS, but the American 200S just kind of called out as well.

So many wheel choices out there. :)

13. here is the wagon on 15"x 6, the old tires on it were to wide so I think I went to 235 IIRC.
    DSCN0493sm.jpg
    DSCN0487sm.jpg

If your in a CLUB you'd think someone would let you borrow the wheels to see if you like them, if your going to the trouble to get new tires anyhow.

63fairlane likes this.
  14. Stormtron

Stormtron
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Those look good. I like the gray and black center Torque Thrust Ds. Why are there so many options.

As for the club, it is the MSRA (12,000 active members) so it may depend on the member. I was able to see a picture of them and they look to be a little crusty in the center. I am not sure if they would clean up with steel wool or chrome polish or not.
    upload_2015-5-13_14-55-24.png

15. nickleone

nickleone

16. Stormtron

Stormtron
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thank you for the option, but I think that is a little too late of the era I am going for.

17. the chromes steelies would have to be cheap with a that much rust, you would wire or use OA dip and paint the inside , then just polish the outers.
    Sorry didnt know what club, that is one LARGE club.
    Yeah it it were a local car club with about 20 or less, it should be one of those things you just do to help a brother out.

I have seen those newer wheels one some '64's, they just seem a bit too new, and they seem to be the Chevy ralley equivelent for a Ford.

Aslo I found my TTD' cheap like 200 bucks for the set, just searched craigslist everyday for a few months.

63fairlane likes this.
  18. These are always a good choice
    051-1[1].jpg

falcongeorge and Stormtron like this.
  19. Stormtron

Stormtron
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

What is the wheel/tire size?

20. welder4956

welder4956

My vote would be black steelies, chrome trim rings and baby Moon hubcaps!

21. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

I have Cragar SS's and think they transcend different eras. In saying that, old style 'Torque Thrusts', 'Daisy' and 'ET' in cast finish are close seconds.

22. Stormtron

Stormtron
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well I will have to make a decision soon on wheels. A few weeks ago a HAMBer contacted me to see if I would be interested in selling the American Racings. I took him up on his offer and now the car is sitting on my old 14" steelies.
    IMG_1826.JPG
    The current line of thinking is 15" OE style wheels from Wheel Vintiques and fill the rear wheel wells with rubber. Wheels will be powder coated gloss black and will run a poverty cap. Probably 15x6 up front and 15x7 or 8 out back.

What I have found is that aftermarket wheels in general don't have a good backspacing for the car unless you go custom. It seems like every 7" wide wheel has 4" or less. I really need 4.5" backspacing or maybe more to prevent rubbing. The Wheel Vintiques wheels are $25 upcharge for a custom backspacing on the OE wheels.

23. Yeeeeppppp this exactly ^^^^^^

Or even just plain street tires. When I was a kid all my cars were early '60s style built with the older guys castoffs (I started building cars in '68). My normal tire combo on steelies or Americans was 8.00x15 or 9.00x15 on the rear and 6.00x15 fronts. Sometimes I had pinners on the front and black walls on the rear sometimes I had black walls all around. 6 or 7" rims were the most common I could buy on my limited budget.

Stormtron likes this.
  24. Winner,winner chicken sinner,perfect. HRP

25. Stormtron

Stormtron
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

image.jpeg
    I finally get my new wheels and tires on my car. I went with OE style 15" steelies from Wheel Vintiques. 15x6 up front with 205 60r15 and 15 x 7 rear with 235 60r15. The rear wheels have a backspace of 4 5/8". Caps are 66 Fairlane though I do have a set of 63 caps as well. They need some attention first.

shoebirdgal and arkiehotrods like this.
  26. Phillips

Phillips
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Very nice! Good choice in wheel and size. Makes me miss my dear departed '63 even more. I did like the body color wheels also, body color on the size you have now would look damn good too.

27. Stormtron

Stormtron
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I would have liked to go body color as well, but the red I painted my car with would not be easy to match. It is an industrial paint that I happened to get lucky on the shade of red they had for the day. :)

28. thunderplex

thunderplex

Your car, your choice. Why do you have to run it by 10,000 guys that have different opinions. Nice car. Do what pleases you.

Sent from my SM-N910V using H.A.M.B. mobile app

29. Barn Find

Barn Find
    from Missouri

I agree with HRP.

I also like the Cyclone wheelcovers.

[​IMG]

30. Phillips

Phillips
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm afraid to ask what a chicken sinner is.