Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Good suggestion for blasting cabinet media?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Budget36, May 8, 2015.

1. Budget36

Budget36

I'm getting so much dust build up with the old oxide stuff I have in my cabinet, I can't see what I am blasting...I do have my shop vac hooked up and venting it outside.

Thing is, this stuff in there is maybe 20 years old (I don't use the cabinet that much, but need to do some wheels now) so wondering what you folks are using with good results?

Thanks

2. aaggie

aaggie

Northern Tool has a good selection of different types. My blaster is made out of a barrel and one bucket of media fills it up. I made a screen out of some 2 X 4s and some fine mesh screen and dump the sump occaisionaly to filter out the trash then dump the strained media back in. Read the warnings about Silica dust and wear your respirator.

3. Mike Colemire

Mike Colemire

I get mine from Tractor Supply. It works great, but if you get the real fine stuff you'll get dust.

4. Mike Colemire

Mike Colemire

Forgot to mention that it's about $8.00 a 50lb bag, so it won't cost to much to try.

5. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

post a pic of your set up

6. Dan Timberlake

Dan Timberlake

7. I just use fine sandblasting sand and it works good for me. HRP

8. A Boner

A Boner

Tractor Supply

9. Dizzie

Dizzie

I bought some at Menards called Black Blast I think. Works good and about $7 a bag

10. pdq67

pdq67

Look into wet sand blasting.

No dust at all.

Easy to do. Put a "waterbody" on the tip so you can add water and go. Look at Gunite equipment here for ideas.

pdq67

11. Budget36

Budget36

My cabinet is a factory build thing, I bought used a long time ago...flip up in front, tapers 4 ways down to the media.

My sis works at TS, so will check them out tomorrow and see what they have.

Curious on the water/wet media for a siphon feed gun?...will it work?

I've seen wet blasting on pressure setups, but never on a siphon setup.

12. jbrittonjr

jbrittonjr

Truman Industrial (TP tools) sells the cabinets, siphon nozzles and blast media. I use their aluminum oxide and their Skat Magic mix in my cabinet. For general blasting Tractor Supply has the Black Diamond. I've not tried the wet blasting but it seems like it would be good for frames and larger pieces.

13. Canus

Canus

You're going to get dust no matter what media you use, If you are blasting rusty or painted metal you will get dust from the rust or paint even if you get little or none from the media. I use the Black Magic for rusty or heavily painted metal, Aluminum Oxide for more delicate less rusty pieces and glass beads for softer materials (Aluminum and brass, etc.) and steel/iron pieces that I need a smoother finish on. Remember to adjust your air pressure for the type media being used.

14. Yep, media type won't change that. New media will help for a while, but it'll come back sooner or later.

15. Happydaze

Happydaze
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Have I understood what you said properly? You've been using the same media in your cabinet for 20 years? Wow! Hardly surprising there's a lot of dust - there won't be anything else! Certainly got your moneys worth!
    Once you've changed it you'll notice one heck of a difference. Change the media quite regularly - it loses sharpness each time it goes through the gun - some much quicker than others.

Chris

16. Mike Colemire

Mike Colemire

I can't post pics, but right now I have a table top small unit. I'm building a 48in, by 32 in cabinet. It's almost done. The finer the sand, the more dust. As was said, yours being so old, I'd say your getting a lot of dust. When I get mine done, I'll try and post pics. Need to learn how anyway, kinda makes me feel "dumber than a rock", maybe my 6 yr old grandson can give me some pointers.

17. LM14

LM14
    Member Emeritus
    from Iowa

Never seen a wet blast cabinet. Could you post some pics? I've seen wet blasting outdoors but never in a cabinet.

I use the glass beads they use to paint highway centerlines. Nice sealed bags, non-silicon treated beads. Be careful to get the non-treated beads, some have silicon coating.

I get my material from the guys painting centerline. Never paid more than a 12 pack for 3 or 4 bags at a time. They enjoy that chat while refilling the pots with paint and beads.

Dust is part of a cabinet. Only thing that helps is fresh media....for a little bit.

SPark