Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Flathead Pilot Bushing Installation

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Katuna, May 8, 2015.

1. Katuna

Katuna
    from Clovis,Ca.

Boy, I've been lighting this place up lately with little, but important questions that I can't seem to find the answers to elsewhere.

Here's the latest; What is the best method of installing the pilot bushing in our aluminum flathead flywheel? I tried pressing it in with my hyd. press but no matter how hard I tried it would start to tilt off square. Don't want that. My thought is to heat the flywheel SLIGHTLY and throw the bushing in the freezer for awhile. I know that will work but I'm not sure how to or how much to heat (warm) the flywheel.

I use this method all the time on large electric motors out in the field but in reverse; wrap the shaft with some dry ice and heat the bearing in my $12 Wal Mart toaster oven. The bearing falls into place. However, one, the flywheel won't fit in my toaster oven and B, momma will kill me if I put it in the kitchen oven (especially on Mothers Day weekend).

I chilled the bushing in the freezer for an hour and just tried to fit it up by hand and it wants to start. I know it'll go with a little heat on the other side. I just don't know of a safe way to do it. I'm guessing I don't want to break out my rosebud.

2. sounds like your bushing is too big measure need .002 for interference fit, should fit fine with hyd press pushing it............

3. hotrod harry

hotrod harry
    from wisconsin

Put small chamfer on bushing to lead it into hole would help "square" it up

4. Gene Boul

Gene Boul

Check the interference... som ting wong! After you fix all that you can put the FW in the oven @ 200 F and the bushing in the freezer...it'll fall in!

5. Oven Turkey bag, 350 degrees, done.